Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2009, 06:54 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,972,945 times

Advertisements

Statewide unemployment jumped .5% in July, the 4th worse % increase in the country.

The 2 month jump in unemployment rate was surpassed only by Nevada and Wyoming.

Table 3. Civilian labor force and unemployment by state and selected area, seasonally adjusted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 01:18 AM

80 posts, read 276,914 times
Fellow Unemployed Americans,

Early next month congress will reconvene and consider 2 bills on extending unemployment benefits for those who are still unemployed:

1. Representative Jim McDermott has introduced the Emergency Unemployment Compensation Act of 2009, H.R. 3404. The bill would continue important ARRA benefits including the $25 per week federal additional compensation, full federal sharing for EB benefits, and the existing 33 weeks of EUC, through December 31, 2010 and phasing out by June 2011. In addition, the bill would provide 13 weeks of "further additional emergency unemployment compensation" to those states with an unemployment rate above 9.5%.

2. Senator Jack Reed introduced a similar package in the Senate (S. 1647) would provide such benefits to states with a three months average unemployment rate of 8.5%.

Unemployed Americans are being left out because their state doesn’t have a current unemployment rate of 9.5% or their state’s 3 month average is less than 8.5%. Does that mean that they need relief less than other unemployed individuals in other states with higher unemployment? No. Unemployed is unemployed no matter how many of your neighbors have jobs.

I am urging everyone to get off your duffs and do something to ensure that nobody is left out when congress extends unemployment benefits next month.

Q: What can you do?
A: Contact your elected officials and let them know that all unemployed Americans need relief no matter what the state unemployment rate is.

Q: How do I contact my elected officials?
A: Unemployedworkers.org and The National Employment Law Project (NELP) has a tool that will provide you the names and contact information of elected officials in your area. You can find it here: Unemployed Workers Home | Ask Congress to Extend Jobless Benefits Now!
Entering your zip code will display all of the elected officials in your state/city/district and their contact information.

The one major flaw that both of these pieces of legislation have is that not all unemployed Americans will benefit from the proposed extension of unemployment benefits. Let your legislators know that you think it is unfair to exclude anyone who is currently unemployed through no fault of their own!

Thank you.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:45 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,124,968 times
DUH !
People are working off the books. Who wants Obama to get the employment and income taxes .
High taxes = Robin hood mentality

Old 08-28-2009, 09:13 PM

32 posts, read 81,743 times
Those stats don't account for illegals and all the people working off the books, or people selling coins to make money, having garage sales.

Or the growing drug cartels, and all their employees. Where I live in Tucson I see that related activity growing by the day, it seems.

Money is being made and work done that the staticians don't know about.

Work is there and jobs to be had, it's a shift in the economy and the way things are outsourced, and what careers are still important--it's a huge cultural shift, and not all bad.

I have friends on extended unemployment in another state. It's not they can't get a job; they just cant' get the job and benefits they had before, so they take the check, read e-mail, report in, and cross their fingers.

The job market, culture, ethic, mentality is in a huge, painful but in some cases necessary shift, not unlike the car industry, banks, etc. Had to happen eventually.

I see a full glass.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:22 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,777,502 times
I would say a job or income is possible if one is open to looking outside their comfortable box, maybe just need to get creative...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona