Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2007, 09:21 PM

136 posts, read 999,124 times

Advertisements

Yet another job offer to consider... Laveen. It does not show up on the City- Data list of cities. Is it like a suburb of Phoenix? Is it its own very little city? More importantly, what can anyone share about the area? My wife and I are looking to relocate from Michigan. She is a paralegal and I am a teacher. We have now job offers from the following areas: Baltimore, MD, Chicago, IL; Laveen, AZ; Avondale, AZ; Yuma, AZ; Bakersfield, CA; and Fresno, CA. Looking for a little input from the City-Data community. THANKS !!!

Last edited by TeacherMan; 04-29-2007 at 09:25 PM.. Reason: typo
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2007, 10:07 PM

1,112 posts, read 3,997,265 times
Laveen is a district of Phoenix, in the southwest part of the city. It, like most areas, was a rural farm town until the 90's, and then it was annexed into the city of Phoenix, most of it anyway. Then things boomed, and the cheap real estate prices made things attractive for lower-income families. That turns alot of people away, but its nothing to run from.

Laveen has some crime issues, but, as usual, its all about the neighborhood you pick. Some neighborhoods are wonderful, others.. aren't. If you ever have to head downtown (downtown Phoenix, that is.) ..You have a pretty easy drive. Even in traffic. Not that you would really value my opinion.. But if you're looking to take valley job offers, I'd personally recommend Avondale over Yuma and Laveen,

Old 04-29-2007, 10:21 PM

2,784 posts, read 7,443,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherMan View Post
Yet another job offer to consider... Laveen. It does not show up on the City- Data list of cities. Is it like a suburb of Phoenix? Is it its own very little city? More importantly, what can anyone share about the area? My wife and I are looking to relocate from Michigan. She is a paralegal and I am a teacher. We have now job offers from the following areas: Baltimore, MD, Chicago, IL; Laveen, AZ; Avondale, AZ; Yuma, AZ; Bakersfield, CA; and Fresno, CA. Looking for a little input from the City-Data community. THANKS !!!
Cody W has summed it up as to what and where Laveen is. My only observation: You seem to be comparing apples and oranges -- perhaps without intending to do so. Specifically, you are comparing large metro areas (Baltimore and Chicago) to individual neighborhoods and suburbs in the Phoenix Metro Area (Laveen and Avondale). It would be more accurate to compare Baltimore, Chicago, and Phoenix, looking at each metro area as a whole. Even if your job were in Laveen or Avondale, you might live elsewhere in the metro area and would certainly go elsewhere in Phoenix and its suburbs for shopping, cultural and sports events, etc. For that reason, my advice would be to decide first if the Phoenix area appeals to you. Once you've made that decision, you can then concentrate on where exactly in the Phoenix area to live.

Old 04-29-2007, 10:33 PM

Thumbs up Great point...more thoughts?

Thanks for the input so far...in my unfamiliarity with Arizona, I did not completely realize that Avondale and Laveen were considered parts of Phoenix. Thus, I shall look for input on Phoenix vs. Baltimore vs. Bakersfield/Fresno vs. Chicago. Thoughts?

Old 04-29-2007, 11:04 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,161,525 times
What part of Chicago? If it's in a suburb (a good one anyway), I'd say go for that for sure!

Old 04-30-2007, 06:05 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,473,136 times
Laveen proper is 51st Ave and Dobbins, as posted it is mostly sucked up into Phoenix.
Avondale is its own city not connected to Phoenix policys and procedures. Both Laveen and Avondale are on Phoenix fire cad dispatch system.
Laveen borders to the south the Gila Indian community

Old 04-30-2007, 09:32 PM

647 posts, read 3,340,159 times
I recently drove through Laveen for the first time. I'd heard a lot about it, mostly in terms of real estate, b/c they're building a lot out there and it's pretty cheap. After seeing it, I know now why it's so cheap. I can say without one ounce of hesitation that you couldn't pay me to live there. Apologies to anyone reading this who loves it there - no offense But for me, it didn't have any redeeming qualities. It wasn't very pretty, it's smack dab in the middle of industrial complexes and very sketchy areas, and it's not very close to downtown either - I had heard the commute wasn't bad, but I don't think it's any closer then many other areas that would be much nicer to live. Also, aside from a few strip malls, there was limited shopping and restaurant choices. Other then cheap houses, Laveen didn't have much to offer, IMO, and there are a million different places outside of Laveen that you can find cheap houses nowadays. Again - just my opinion. You should see it in person and judge it for yourself.

I think it's hard to say where you should go b/c it depends a lot on exactly where you'd be teaching and how much you'd be getting paid. If you were teaching in Schaumburg and were being paid enough to live in a nice house there, I'd say go for Chicago! But if you'd be teaching in one of the many bad areas of the city and not being paid enough to live in a nice, safe area, I'd say don't go to Chicago. Likewise with Baltimore. There are some really neat areas in Baltimore, but also some really bad ones....same with Phoenix. Not sure abou the 2 CA cities - haven't been to either.

Also, it depends on what kind of weather you like - Baltimore will be a lot more moderate then Phoenix. If you hate the heat, don't come here. And if you hate winter, don't go to Chicago.

Lots to consider

Back to Laveen though - if you'd be teaching in Laveen but are open to living in other areas and commuting in, I'd say consider it. But personally, I wouldn't live there.

Also, out of curiosity, have you applied to other districts in the Phoenix area? I know most districts are looking for good teachers....Gilbert and Chandler are both great districts, and great places to live too. If you like Phoenix but not crazy about Laveen, you might check other districts.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:37 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatdrinks View Post
I recently drove through Laveen for the first time. I'd heard a lot about it, mostly in terms of real estate, b/c they're building a lot out there and it's pretty cheap. After seeing it, I know now why it's so cheap. I can say without one ounce of hesitation that you couldn't pay me to live there. Apologies to anyone reading this who loves it there - no offense But for me, it didn't have any redeeming qualities. It wasn't very pretty, it's smack dab in the middle of industrial complexes and very sketchy areas, and it's not very close to downtown either - I had heard the commute wasn't bad, but I don't think it's any closer then many other areas that would be much nicer to live. Also, aside from a few strip malls, there was limited shopping and restaurant choices. Other then cheap houses, Laveen didn't have much to offer, IMO, and there are a million different places outside of Laveen that you can find cheap houses nowadays. Again - just my opinion. You should see it in person and judge it for yourself.

I think it's hard to say where you should go b/c it depends a lot on exactly where you'd be teaching and how much you'd be getting paid. If you were teaching in Schaumburg and were being paid enough to live in a nice house there, I'd say go for Chicago! But if you'd be teaching in one of the many bad areas of the city and not being paid enough to live in a nice, safe area, I'd say don't go to Chicago. Likewise with Baltimore. There are some really neat areas in Baltimore, but also some really bad ones....same with Phoenix. Not sure abou the 2 CA cities - haven't been to either.

Also, it depends on what kind of weather you like - Baltimore will be a lot more moderate then Phoenix. If you hate the heat, don't come here. And if you hate winter, don't go to Chicago.

Lots to consider

Back to Laveen though - if you'd be teaching in Laveen but are open to living in other areas and commuting in, I'd say consider it. But personally, I wouldn't live there.

Also, out of curiosity, have you applied to other districts in the Phoenix area? I know most districts are looking for good teachers....Gilbert and Chandler are both great districts, and great places to live too. If you like Phoenix but not crazy about Laveen, you might check other districts.

Everything Boatdrinks just said I 2nd! Try Gilbert or Chandler.

Old 05-02-2007, 06:36 PM

Talking WOW!!! Thanks for the great thoughts!!!

My wife and I TRULY APPRECIATE the VERY USEFUL INSIGHT that you all have given us so far! It really has been a difficult decision making process for us. Michigan is currently dying a slow, PAINFUL, and ugly death. We are almost certainly relocating. We want an area that is growing, EMBRACES DIVERSITY, offers opportunities, is metropolitan, and would be a place to maybe start a family. We look forward to more thoughts and input from those who can speak to our options!

Old 05-02-2007, 06:48 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,473,136 times
In the older days late 80's when I was living there it was pretty nice farm fields and pecans trees all about. Commercial property pays more than farming sad to see it go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona