U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 02:01 AM

223 posts, read 515,457 times

Advertisements

I was driving from CA to Phoenix last weekend on I-40 and then 93. Looking at the map, I see there is a way to bypass Kingman by getting off I-40 in Yucca onto "Alamo Rd" (possibly "Alamo Crossing Rd"), then onto "Chicken Springs Rd" into Wikeup.

What I can't figure out is - is this road paved or dirt? For various reasons, I don't want to drive it if it is a dirt road. It looks like it would be a beautiful shortcut! The drive down 93 into Phoenix is fabulous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 02:13 AM

2,897 posts, read 9,204,566 times
I pulled it up on google maps, are you talking about the road that cuts actoss south of kingman and puts you on the 93 south? That road is definetly dirt.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:11 AM

1,552 posts, read 5,534,672 times
I drive it quite a bit, It is a county maintained road IE it is dirt and they use a road grader to maintain it. Usually it is just fine for a car the only time it would get nasty is after a rain storm and the washes were running. If you are coming from Ca take Santa Fe Ranch rd exit and it heads south to Alamo Lake Road. Then south for quite aways until you see a windmill on your right and then a sign indicting chicken springs rd and wikieup to the left. (this short cut cuts off about 60 miles)
Among my favorite side trips is coming North bound come through Nothing down the hill and there is a road to the left called 17 mile road good for higher clearance vehicles, also be prepared to cross the Big Sandy river (sometimes it is running strong sometimes not) across it go left and around Signal and reconnect to Alamo Lake road and North

Old 09-03-2009, 03:20 PM

223 posts, read 515,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambrush View Post
I drive it quite a bit, It is a county maintained road IE it is dirt and they use a road grader to maintain it. Usually it is just fine for a car the only time it would get nasty is after a rain storm and the washes were running. If you are coming from Ca take Santa Fe Ranch rd exit and it heads south to Alamo Lake Road. Then south for quite aways until you see a windmill on your right and then a sign indicting chicken springs rd and wikieup to the left. (this short cut cuts off about 60 miles)
Among my favorite side trips is coming North bound come through Nothing down the hill and there is a road to the left called 17 mile road good for higher clearance vehicles, also be prepared to cross the Big Sandy river (sometimes it is running strong sometimes not) across it go left and around Signal and reconnect to Alamo Lake road and North
The route I'm talking about is this (google maps link) Exit I-40 at 'Cal-Ari Road' (exit 25), then get onto Alamo Crossing Road, and ultimately ending up on Chicken Spring Rd in Wikeup.

Where is the 'Santa Fe Ranch Rd' you mentioned? Google Maps seems pretty limited in this area. Using Microsoft Maps, a search for that road lands me at exit 20, which seems to be 'Yucca Vista'.

My car has a 'tight' suspension and is pretty low clearance, but should be fine on a 'good' dirt road ... I'll give it a try soon maybe ...

Old 09-03-2009, 04:27 PM

9,445 posts, read 17,452,757 times
That's the right route. The exit is actually called Alamo Rd, not Cal-Ari. Sante Fe Rd exit is a little west of Alamo Rd, which you'll come to before Alamo if you're coming from Cal. Evidently Rambrush knows a short-cut that way. However, Alamo Rd exit will work fine as well.

Be very careful on that road. I haven't been on those roads in a year, but they weren't in the best shape. There were areas of soft sand as well as exposed rocks, especially when crossing the numerous washes you'll pass. Since we've been getting hit with the monsoons lately, I'm sure the road will not be perfect now. And do not drive it at night. There are black range cattle that are almost impossible to see in the dark (don't ask me how I know, but suffice to say I now sport some huge driving lights on the roof of my Jeep now). It is an extremely scenic route though if you decide to persevere.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:05 PM

As u r headin east on 40 prior 2 Haviland Rest area is santa fe ranch road. Like Kdog advised the rain makes a huge difference. like this afternoon my area of town just received .63" of rain the most of any rain gauge reporting in Kingman.
I have seen/heard of BMW's making it just fine
In the am I have to make a run to Wikieup then I have to head over to Topock truck scales needless to say I will be making another run across the desert. I will take camera with me. the biggest obstacle is the washes wash out the road with a steep drop down into the washes. Not good for a car until the county reblades the road.

Old 09-04-2009, 06:00 PM

Just drove it today and all is well. Eastbound on I-40 take exit 20 Santa Fe Ranch road it circles under the overpass when you hit the stop sign turn left (south) follw the double yellow line straight to the unmarked road. Take it to alamo lake road.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:40 PM

50 posts, read 74,873 times
Driven it many times ,you can go straight to Alamo lake and camp spent a week there never say another soul saw donkeys and desert big horn sheep and one rattle snake in camp? If going in the summer make sure you have couple gallons of water like one for each person and 2 for your car a good spare tire and jack some rocks are sharp.Don't drive fast especially when going west to east going down the mountain on chicken springs road is very many washboards sections and it's a long way to the bottom if you were to go off.Lastly have enough gas there's no services and cell phone may not work.But it's a nice change from the highway don't think is't much faster?

Old 05-01-2014, 05:38 AM

wow resurrected a 5 year old thread. Great..

Old 05-01-2014, 03:47 PM

15,316 posts, read 17,762,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell1949 View Post
Driven it many times ,you can go straight to Alamo lake and camp spent a week there never say another soul saw donkeys and desert big horn sheep and one rattle snake in camp? If going in the summer make sure you have couple gallons of water like one for each person and 2 for your car a good spare tire and jack some rocks are sharp.Don't drive fast especially when going west to east going down the mountain on chicken springs road is very many washboards sections and it's a long way to the bottom if you were to go off.Lastly have enough gas there's no services and cell phone may not work.But it's a nice change from the highway don't think is't much faster?
There were some nice sized crappie in Alamo Lake......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or