Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 10:02 AM

3,995 posts, read 10,016,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Well, the parents of the 14 y/o boy who died from it in Havasu might argue that point. But that's the only case I know of.
By completely fatal event, I mean that not everyone who was in contact with the parasitic amoeba died but some unfortunately did...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 01:31 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,697,875 times
I would not go swimming in the "poop shoot" that is tempe town lake... lol

Old 09-04-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
I would not go swimming in the "poop shoot" that is tempe town lake... lol
LOL! I wouldn't either...

Old 09-04-2009, 01:59 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
Does Apache Lake even have water in it anymore? The last I was through there (Dec 07) the water level was WAY down. There was a small island we'd always drive our boat around... I saw it - it could have been walked to with out even getting wet!
That was when the dam was being repaired. It is VERY full

Old 09-04-2009, 01:59 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorrales80 View Post
Tres Rios area of extreme Southwest Phoenix near the Estrella Mountains atcon the confluence of the Salt, Agua Fria and Gila. This is a city of Phoenix riparian area and is a nature desert wetland area. It is very unique and open to the public...
to bad it's a complete and utter dump - so many people use it's remote location as a trash basin

really sad as it could be a jewel of the city for people who love the outdoors

Old 09-04-2009, 02:01 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Simply as an analogy, I would not swim in the Mission Beach area of San Diego. There is a large sewer line that goes miles out to sea and raw sewage is dumped in the ocean.

Well, that line frequently breaks right off shore from Mission Beach - and raw sewage comes back on shore with the tide.

Old 09-04-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
to bad it's a complete and utter dump - so many people use it's remote location as a trash basin

really sad as it could be a jewel of the city for people who love the outdoors
Actually it is not anymore. The City of Phoenix and the Army Corp of Engineers have been revamping, cleaning, restoring the area since 2001. It is really beautiful. I was there last week and was taken aback at the beauty of the area and the "marshiness" of the riparian area given it is smack dab in the middle of the desert!

TRES RIOS WETLANDS LINKS

http://www.phoenix.gov/TRESRIOS/trphxmag.pdf

Butterfly Gardens

Old 09-04-2009, 03:48 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times
it's still a dump in many areas

they clean it up for the tres rios fesitval and there are a some really untouched areas (mainly due to size) - but people still trash it

it's kind of a point of concern for those of use who care in the SW Valley (unfortunately most don't even know it exists or the significance of it if they do)

it's now in their pay for it archives, but here is a recent article from the republic that was in the SW section

The Arizona Republic: Archives

i've quoted the abstract, which is all you can really get without paying

Quote:
Litter and illegal activities are destroying the potential of the nearly 200-acre Base and Meridian Wildlife Area. The riparian area boasts a variety of birds, mammals, amphibians, reptiles and veg... more...
From my memory it went on how the park is pretty much unmanned as the parks department just doesn't have the funding or staffing so the rules there are constantly violated - from people over fishing or net fishing to teens going down there to drink and drug to people leaving all their trash behind from picnics to outright trash dumping

the photos from the article included broken bottles, dirty diapers, cigarette butts and a bunch of other nice things

with jurisdictional issues no local municpality is really wanting to take a lead in helping it out and the parks department is limited so it's being mainly cared for on a volunteer basis ..... but that isn't enough

they are supposed to be in line for some stimulus money which would be a great help if used right

areas like that have all the potential in the world, but people have a tendency to suck sometimes

Old 09-04-2009, 03:54 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
it's still a dump in many areas

they clean it up for the tres rios fesitval and there are a some really untouched areas (mainly due to size) - but people still trash it

it's kind of a point of concern for those of use who care in the SW Valley (unfortunately most don't even know it exists or the significance of it if they do)

it's now in their pay for it archives, but here is a recent article from the republic that was in the SW section

The Arizona Republic: Archives

i've quoted the abstract, which is all you can really get without paying

From my memory it went on how the park is pretty much unmanned as the parks department just doesn't have the funding or staffing so the rules there are constantly violated - from people over fishing or net fishing to teens going down there to drink and drug to people leaving all their trash behind from picnics to outright trash dumping

the photos from the article included broken bottles, dirty diapers, cigarette butts and a bunch of other nice things

with jurisdictional issues no local municpality is really wanting to take a lead in helping it out and the parks department is limited so it's being mainly cared for on a volunteer basis ..... but that isn't enough

they are supposed to be in line for some stimulus money which would be a great help if used right

areas like that have all the potential in the world, but people have a tendency to suck sometimes
Yeah, it's pretty trashy down by PIR, but from a distance like on the bridge or the nearby hills it is clean, peaceful and in such stark contrast to the desert around it. I understand that much of the river looked that way in years gone by before the water was all diverted for ag and then domestic use. Even the slow and uneven steps to return some of that are welcome.

Old 09-04-2009, 03:58 PM

Hmmm, I didn't notice any of the above mentioned. No diapers, bottles, poop, drugs, drunk teens, etc. Maybe they cleaned the area up before each of my visits??? I thank them for that. But in reality, I am sure there is an area that is hidden or I didn't get to that is a "party" scene where people don't visit and where things are left in a bad state. I spend much of the day there, traversed the area and was impressed. No filth, but just beauty. I'm not naive, I bet there is a "known" area for the partying and dumping...I absolutely hate how people manage to do that. But for the most part, it was a wonderful and gorgeous experience. I hope some stimulus money gets shot the Tres Rios way because it is well worth it and a natural wonder in this climate! It is also best to visit late Sept-early June during times of bloom, bird migrations, and you actually see some changing "season" like tree activity, LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona