Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 04:30 AM

57 posts, read 278,715 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are thinking of moving to Golden Valley, we currently reside in Havasu. We like the idea of GV being more rural and not being in a main city, yet close enough that you can drive to whatever you need in 15-20 minutes.

I have some questions if anyone would care to answer to help us decide. We are looking/thinking near the 68, not down by the 40, or up high by the 93.

My biggest question/concern is, if you read Craigslist, there seems to be a lot of mention of meth/drugs. Also, if you look at those sites that rate cities, the property crime rate is a higher rating, especiallt burglaries. Is there a large theft problem? I just don’t want to move there and be dealing with theft issues all the time. I would love some input. I posted this on CL and recieved 3 responses. One gave me some websites (including this one) and a lot of helpfull info, but they don'y actually live in GV. Another lives in GV and gave the good ole "crime/drugs can be found anywhere you live in any town",,,,, gee, I hadn't thought of that, I was hoping for a perfect world. Last response, was REALLY not a person who likes GV. Basicly said it was nothing but tweekers and theives. I doubt it is THAT bad,,,,,,, but am curious HOW bad. Are some areas better than others? Where?

Also, I build cars, hot rods. How bad is the city on being in everyone’s business? I know this can vary from neighbor to neighbor. As I drive around GV, I see a LOT of houses with old cars or old farm machinery in the yards/fields and you could NEVER get away with that in Lake Havasu without getting a nasty note from Code Compliance. Seems like its not as much an issue in GV, am I wrong?

How expensive are things like water, electricity? Cable internet available in most areas? Anyone know of a house for RENT(mobile is fine) that has a decent sized shop on it, that allows dogs? We will be going up in a week or so, and already have a few houses to look at, but would like to add a few more to the list if I can.

Thanks for taking the time to read, and answer questions if you can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2009, 12:59 PM

24 posts, read 95,553 times
Most places in Golden Valley are "water haulers". Also, electricity is scarce out there. If you like a lot of freedom, it's great. But as for comforts, it's pretty much do-it-yourself.

Old 09-05-2009, 09:28 PM

8 posts, read 37,223 times
I have a house in Golden Vally, Its a little rough out here, But its no worse than any where else. There is a water system and elec. they are both reasonable, Just remember its the Dessert.
They shoot thieves out here so thier really not a problem. Now the tweekers They do like to pick up what ever they can find. Leave your stuff out at night and it will be gone. You can shoot them to, If you see them!!

Old 09-06-2009, 08:25 AM

229 posts, read 655,519 times
I love GV. And yes I live in Missouri. Here in the country, a thief is a thief no matter what. I could go over the mountains to BHC where my family is, but would rather be this side.

Old 09-06-2009, 11:46 PM

57 posts, read 278,715 times
Thanks for the answers everyone. We also placed this post in a few different websites and forums and probably recieved 50 posts/emails.

Seems that either people love living there, or really don't like living there for the most part. Unfortunately about 90% of the people have said that theft and meth issues are BAD in general in GV. Its unfortunate, because for what we do, other than theft, GV would be great for me. OH well, I guess I will just stay in Havasu till I am ready to build on our land up in Gateway acres. I'm in no rush.

Anyway, thanks again for the replies.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:16 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,122,931 times
Having lived in BHC, Havasu and just outside of the City of Kingman; I understand many of your frustrations and desires concerning GV.

For some reason: Mohave County attracts that Meth head scum............maybe because of the gambling influence of both Laughlin and Vegas, I am not sure.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:51 AM

3 posts, read 20,284 times
We just bought a house in Golden valley. We will close in a few days, but will not live there full time until hubby retires , in about 2 years. We are in Ohio now. We are moving on the northwestern part of GV. Not all that far from the 68. Will I have a problem, with an unoccupied house?
We are in love with Gv, and think it is beyond beautiful and relaxing.
I do have more to ask. how is the water pressure, with water haul?
I really appreciate any input at all.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:39 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,820,641 times
Congrats on the new home! I don't mean to be a downer, but unoccupied homes in GV are often targeted by transients and thieves. It's a pretty rural area. It probably depends a lot on how close and who your neighbors are, and whether they'll be willing to keep an eye on the place. You might want to look into security companies to keep an eye on the place. Maybe put in an alarm system. I'm in Kingman which is maybe 10 miles away from that area and would be willing to do drive-by's every so often. Shoot, maybe I should start a security company as I have a lot of ideas about it, and I really hate thieves.

As far as water hauling and water pressure that is no problem from my understanding. You use a pump and a pressure tank, same as if you had a well. Should be approximately the same as the pressure you'd get from municipal water.

Old 07-11-2010, 05:10 PM

Kdog, Thank you so much for answering my question, and mostly for offering to do a drive by. There is something with Kingman. I have discovered it has the nicest , down to earth people. I may take you up on your offer. Hubby wants to get an alarm system and security company. I am thinking , by the time they arrive, the house is empty.
I think your Ideas for a security business is a great idea. You will have our business if u do it.

Oh, kdog, what can be done to keep snakes away? I hear there are lots of them.
thank you again,

Old 07-11-2010, 05:18 PM

Because GV, and the desert(or is it dessert?) is so rural, and quiet with very few poeple around, Meth dealers may find that area perfect to set up a meth factory. However, meth addicts are all over the country, and it isn t very expensive, so it has become the drug of choice for so many people. It is very sad and tragic for all involved.
I imagine , since the population of that area is so small it is noticed more. Believe me, you will find more addicts in 3 or 4 square blocks in a city, than in all that area.
ya just can 't blame Arizona and GV for all of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona