Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 08:45 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,081,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I always get annoyed when someone on here makes a post about not liking where they live and some self righteous person responds by saying "well you should have known..."

No one really knows what something is going to be like until they experience it. You can research till your eyes bleed but that doesn't mean you will know everything about your new place. I can relate to your post because I also relocated to a semi-rural area. We made the move for a job opportunity for my husband. There are many lessons to learn in life and sometimes moving to a place that is different than what you are used too is a learning experience. Sometimes you learn more about yourself. I have learned I am a city slicker. I liked how I could walk to a corner store or miss the diversity a larger city offers. I thought a small town feel would be kind of a nice. I adjust well with change, have always had the ability to blend or fit in but I am realizing that it doesn't always work. My child seemed to adjust at first but now that we have been here over a year, I realize he is not adjusting that well. He is used to diversity and this place is not diverse at all. He also loves hockey, no one here likes hockey. So he feels a little left out. The solution would be to move. Well life doesn't always let you do what you want. The economy sucks and just finding a new job isn't always possible. I am not saying to give up but I understand your plight and if it is possible to relocate to a larger city then I would look into it. I am a firm believer in listening to your gut. If this place doesn't feel right, then it probably isn't. Good luck!
Ditto!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 04:21 AM

136 posts, read 424,084 times
Hi !
You are not Crazy it is Arizona,after being there 4 years I can tell You from experiance that your observations are correct.AZ has a lot of open space and not many open people.So get out and go Home while you can !
I still have freinds in Arizona that wish thay could leave it as I have but for financial reasons they can not.I also have financial difficulties but to me the choice was clear to get out with what I could and that my happiness is more important than money.Good Luck !

Old 12-04-2009, 02:13 AM

857 posts, read 1,733,386 times
Default Arizona Replying To Person 7 months and doesn't like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmic cowgirl View Post
we moved here to sonoita az almost 7 months ago. It is beautiful but so lonely. I can not figure out this town and I am having difficulty adjusting to all this driving. Have to drive 53 miles one way to work or to go to a grocery store. Daughter is very bored. does'nt seem to be much for kids.

have not been able to befriend anyone here most people here seem to want to be left alone. About ready to move back am I crazy?
You're right about making friends w/ the locals and yes, a lot of people don't like Arizona because of the people. Arizona, New Mexico, and Nevada are not very open states; they are right to work states; they do not like newcomers, although their economies depend on immigrating Californians buying real estate and shopping at Wallmart.

People have their own little cliques, and it's just hard to make friends unless you're a college student. These are also not very liberal states, not that many unions, and horrible health care. Palm Springs / Coachella Valley, California, is a more "liberal" and "open" city that's still in the "sunbelt" although it has its own issues to some people.

Truth be told, there isn't any city in the sunbelt that I'm "comfortable" with. It is what it is. I've visited just about all of them except Austin, Atlanta, and Nashville, and I'd probably like those places because they're more culturally diverse and laid back. Arizona lacks culture, with all these staged master planned communities and so forth. Phoenix and Arizona in general don't have a good record in their treatment of African Americans, Native Americans, and gays.

I don't like Dallas, Houston, or Florida. I'm most comfortable in central california, Reno-Tahoe, and sw colorado. There's probably some town in the sunbelt somewhere out there that would be appealing, but probably not in Arizona or New Mexico.

I met someone in Albuquerque when I was over there who was born and raised there. He said that he just got back from a business trip to Seattle where he was amazed at how friendly people were. That trip convinced him to move to Seattle ASAP since he only has one or two friends after decades in Albuquerque, and he wants to make friends.

Also, a lot of these small towns in AZ/NM have wacko, mentally unstable individuals such as Sedona, Flagstaff, Albuquerque, Santa Fe, etc. They seem to migrate to such high elevation places to "get away from it all," and then never leave in part because there is no psychiatric care because doctors refuse to take insurance, and there is inadequate public health care. And then you end up with incompetent politicians who have caused 100,000 construction workers to lose their jobs in Arizona. It is all very sad!

Last edited by CCCVDUR; 12-04-2009 at 02:25 AM..

Old 12-04-2009, 05:45 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times
Well, it seems to be unanimous. Everybody in AZ is wacko, unfriendly and mentally unstable. Oh, except for the people posting in this thread of course!

Old 12-05-2009, 05:44 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,943,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCVDUR View Post
You're right about making friends w/ the locals and yes, a lot of people don't like Arizona because of the people. Arizona, New Mexico, and Nevada are not very open states; they are right to work states; they do not like newcomers, although their economies depend on immigrating Californians buying real estate and shopping at Wallmart.

People have their own little cliques, and it's just hard to make friends unless you're a college student. These are also not very liberal states, not that many unions, and horrible health care. Palm Springs / Coachella Valley, California, is a more "liberal" and "open" city that's still in the "sunbelt" although it has its own issues to some people.

Truth be told, there isn't any city in the sunbelt that I'm "comfortable" with. It is what it is. I've visited just about all of them except Austin, Atlanta, and Nashville, and I'd probably like those places because they're more culturally diverse and laid back. Arizona lacks culture, with all these staged master planned communities and so forth. Phoenix and Arizona in general don't have a good record in their treatment of African Americans, Native Americans, and gays.

I don't like Dallas, Houston, or Florida. I'm most comfortable in central california, Reno-Tahoe, and sw colorado. There's probably some town in the sunbelt somewhere out there that would be appealing, but probably not in Arizona or New Mexico.

I met someone in Albuquerque when I was over there who was born and raised there. He said that he just got back from a business trip to Seattle where he was amazed at how friendly people were. That trip convinced him to move to Seattle ASAP since he only has one or two friends after decades in Albuquerque, and he wants to make friends.

Also, a lot of these small towns in AZ/NM have wacko, mentally unstable individuals such as Sedona, Flagstaff, Albuquerque, Santa Fe, etc. They seem to migrate to such high elevation places to "get away from it all," and then never leave in part because there is no psychiatric care because doctors refuse to take insurance, and there is inadequate public health care. And then you end up with incompetent politicians who have caused 100,000 construction workers to lose their jobs in Arizona. It is all very sad!
yuma too

Old 12-05-2009, 05:46 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,943,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I always get annoyed when someone on here makes a post about not liking where they live and some self righteous person responds by saying "well you should have known..."

No one really knows what something is going to be like until they experience it. You can research till your eyes bleed but that doesn't mean you will know everything about your new place. I can relate to your post because I also relocated to a semi-rural area. We made the move for a job opportunity for my husband. There are many lessons to learn in life and sometimes moving to a place that is different than what you are used too is a learning experience. Sometimes you learn more about yourself. I have learned I am a city slicker. I liked how I could walk to a corner store or miss the diversity a larger city offers. I thought a small town feel would be kind of a nice. I adjust well with change, have always had the ability to blend or fit in but I am realizing that it doesn't always work. My child seemed to adjust at first but now that we have been here over a year, I realize he is not adjusting that well. He is used to diversity and this place is not diverse at all. He also loves hockey, no one here likes hockey. So he feels a little left out. The solution would be to move. Well life doesn't always let you do what you want. The economy sucks and just finding a new job isn't always possible. I am not saying to give up but I understand your plight and if it is possible to relocate to a larger city then I would look into it. I am a firm believer in listening to your gut. If this place doesn't feel right, then it probably isn't. Good luck!
\

double ditto!!

Old 12-07-2009, 01:28 PM

314 posts, read 924,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCVDUR View Post
Also, a lot of these small towns in AZ/NM have wacko, mentally unstable individuals such as Sedona, Flagstaff, Albuquerque, Santa Fe, etc. They seem to migrate to such high elevation places to "get away from it all," and then never leave in part because there is no psychiatric care because doctors refuse to take insurance, and there is inadequate public health care.
Interesting observation... You may have a point there...

Last edited by BillR1; 12-07-2009 at 01:42 PM..

Old 12-11-2009, 07:26 AM

206 posts, read 535,241 times
You should probably consider moving to Sierra Vista or Tucson. I myself, moved from San Diego to Douglas, five years ago and had the same thoughts. And DON'T follow your gut... follow your HEAD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona