Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 08:23 AM

162 posts, read 382,001 times

Advertisements

Winters in places like Michigan can be very depressing, I noticed this in Seattle as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 10:03 AM

38,960 posts, read 50,889,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I miss deer camp.
BTW, the deer in that photo would make some mighty nice venison steaks. Mmmm.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:11 PM

21,144 posts, read 41,998,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensimilla View Post
Winters in places like Michigan can be very depressing, I noticed this in Seattle as well.
Point well taken. The difference is that Seattle winters are much milder on average than Michigan ones

Old 10-01-2009, 07:00 AM

72 posts, read 147,627 times
I dont care how much people say......"oh, i love the snow and winter weather"........
When its late January/Early February and its -20 to -40 degrees outside for a low temperature and so cold that it WON'T actually snow.........NOBODY enjoys that! I dont care how much you like winter, when its so cold that you have to start your car every 3-4 hours on the weekend just so that your antifreeze and gasoline wont freeze up......that sucks!

I miss AZ!!!!

Old 10-03-2009, 01:10 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,263,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwinn_raptor View Post
I dont care how much people say......"oh, i love the snow and winter weather"........
When its late January/Early February and its -20 to -40 degrees outside for a low temperature and so cold that it WON'T actually snow.........NOBODY enjoys that! I dont care how much you like winter, when its so cold that you have to start your car every 3-4 hours on the weekend just so that your antifreeze and gasoline wont freeze up......that sucks!

I miss AZ!!!!

30 to 40 below? I'd like to know what Michigan you live in. Gasoline does not freeze, if you have moisture in your tank it will. I'm 42 years old have owned old cars new cars, trucks and vans and have NEVER...... EVER had to start my car every3-4 hours. I have also NEVER walked out to start my car and had it not turn over due to cold. You make it sound like Michigan is the arctic circle. Moderator cut: hostile language Michigan and it's weather is not for everyone and neither is the heat of Arizona. But posts like yours really irritate me to no end. You miss Arizona? Great go back if your so unhappy here. This post has about as much truth to it as the ones that say ALL of Michigan is just as bad as the slums of Detroit.

Oh in addition if keep fuel in your car you would never have to worry about gas lines freezing. Drive around and park it on dead E and you might have problems. In regards to the Antifreeze freezing you better have your radiator flushed and refilled because whoever did it for you did something seriously WRONG. I've never even had my antifreeze thicken up on my. If yours is freezing guess what.....it's WATER.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 10-03-2009 at 01:59 PM..

Old 10-03-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensimilla View Post
No places like Michigan can be depressing TO SOME. You live in Phoenix so how do you know? Native of Michigan or just expressing some opinion you read? To some 110-115 degree's that keep your children captive during their time off ( summer) sounds depressing to me. But seeing as I have only visited ( and liked) Arizona I cannot and would not state this as a fact. For people who love green, water and 4 seasons Michigan is perfect. For those who want no rain, little water or vegetation, heat and mountains Arizona is perfect. Or both as close to it. I just don't know at what point in time weather became the deciding factor to our happiness. When I was in Arizona it was 95-100 outside and guess what? I did not see anyone outside in their yards doing anything and I seen NO KIDS playing anywhere unless they were playing for a team. The beach I visited was pretty busy but the parks and everything else were pretty empty. Other places were pretty empty. This was 1 week out of 52 can I form an educated opinion to say it is like this year around? Nope. But I can say this. Here in Michigan I see kids playing outside no matter if it's sunny, snowing or even raining. I see people jog and ride their bikes rain or shine and even some nut's in the winter. Does this make Michigan better for anything? Nope but it is better suited for what myself and a lot of other people enjoy in life and the weather does not control what we do.

I know I just responded to another post but as someone who likes both states and considered and still considers a move to Az, I just have to speak up when I read posts like this.

Old 10-03-2009, 02:11 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,491,508 times
There is water, vegetation, four-seasons, etc., in Arizona. One just has to know where to look. For example, about 25% of Arizona is forest. One might also be surprised to learn that the Sonora desert can be quite green, with a variety of trees and flora.

While it does get very hot in the desert June through September, that does not prohibit kids or anyone else from being outdoors. But most try to avoid being outdoors during the hottest part of the day during the hottest months. However, come December and January, when kids are mostly indoors in states like Michigan, the weather is perfect outdoor weather in the desert southwest.

But if your thing is trees, lakes and winter snow, Arizona offers that, too.

Old 10-03-2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
30 to 40 below? I'd like to know what Michigan you live in.
I think from screen name he is from Gwinn, a little town south of Marquette in the UP. It does get to 30 and 40 below there. I lived in the UP at one point myself and can vouch for how bitterly cold it can be.

But it's not the cold that would scare me away from going back to that area some day. It is the endless days of dreary gray skies that dominate much of the winter. I can bundle up for cold and today's cars are a world of difference from cars of old in cold temps. But, the gloom of winter - short hours of daylight and constant overcast would depress me. We complain about the sun here in AZ and like a gray day. But any more than 2 or so in a row and we get cranky.

Now summer in the UP? Ahhhh....

Last edited by Ponderosa; 10-03-2009 at 02:39 PM..

Old 10-03-2009, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I think from screen name he is from Gwinn, a little town south of Marquette in the UP. It does get to 30 and 40 below there. I lived in the UP at one point myself and can vouch for how bitterly cold it can be.

But it's not the cold that would scare me away from going back to that area some day. It is the endless days of dreary gray skies that dominate much of the winter. I can bundle up for cold and today's cars are a world of difference from cars of old in cold temps. But, the gloom of winter - short hours of daylight and constant overcast would depress me. We complain about the sun here in AZ and like a gray day. But any more than 2 or so in a row and we get cranky.

Now summer in the UP? Ahhhh....
I could not find Gwinn but here is a link to the average temp in Marquette.

Marquette Weather - Michigan - Average Temperatures and Rainfall

Not going to say it does not get cold. But I don't see the norm being 30 to 40 below. Wind chill it gets into the -'s here in Highland. But it does not last for weeks at a time.

Old 10-03-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
I could not find Gwinn but here is a link to the average temp in Marquette.

Marquette Weather - Michigan - Average Temperatures and Rainfall

Not going to say it does not get cold. But I don't see the norm being 30 to 40 below. Wind chill it gets into the -'s here in Highland. But it does not last for weeks at a time.
Marquette is in the thermals. It's on the lake and is more "temperate" though it snows a tremendous amount there. It gets colder inland. No, 30 below is not the norm. But it is not unheard of either, that is for sure. Winter in the U.P. is a long and trying ordeal and while summers are glorious they are very short. It's a difficult area in which to make a living. The major redeeming feature is the isolation and solitude and the closeness to nature of life there. There is a wonderful lack of humanity and crowding and bustle that has ruined so much of the more "desirable" places like Phoenix and much of Arizona. If I could bear the gloomy winters, I would take the UP over most anyplace in Arizona. Even with the gloom, it may well be a better place to be than is Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona