Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 08:08 AM

1 posts, read 5,658 times

Advertisements

I have lived in Michigan my entire life - and have never even visited Arizona before. However, the economy in MI is in such a terrible state right now, that work is impossible to find - especially for those in the teaching profession (that would be me). After receiving a job offer in Yuma I started doing some research on the small town. But that's about all I have come up with so far - - is that it's a small town, and can get terribly hot in the summer months.

If ANYONE has ANY information on this area of Arizona, my husband and I would greatly appreciate it and any feedback. I am interested in the schools, so anyone with first hand information regarding their experiences with any elementary schools in the area would be great. Some other points that I'd like to find out about Yuma:

Is there any pest control issues (bugs and such)??
Is the housing market great for home buyers at this time/is there many apartment options out there?
Is there much for a young family to do in Yuma, or must we drive forever to find something (we have a 3yr. old)?
Is there much work out that way - or do the majority of people drive over 40min to work?

Thanks for any feeback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2007, 07:05 AM

87 posts, read 642,921 times
Please visit Yuma, before you make the move. Otherwise you might be in for a big culture shock.

- No pest problems
- Housing market is cooling down and is good for buyers
- Yuma has very little to offer when it comes to quality of life
- Smaller town so driving will be less than 30 minutes most of the time

Good luck

Old 05-05-2007, 07:16 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,209,674 times
Yuma is not a small town in my book. It has 100,000+ people and is growing like crazy with retirees and California transplants. I would not want to live there - it is too hot, too dry, and too boring. Why not check for jobs in one of the booming areas like Surprise, Goodyear, Buckeye, Avondale in metro Phoenix. They are all looking for teachers. IMO, Phoenix and Tucson are much better places to live than Yuma in spite of the population.

Old 05-05-2007, 09:40 PM

24 posts, read 109,022 times
Hi Zilk3. My husband and I are also relocating to Yuma. In fact, we are leaving this Monday to drive him down there, and then I fly back to stay until our house (please God!!) sells. IMO, you must have an open mind. It will be a big culture shock (or so I have been told), as I have never been to Az before either. I will miss Michigan very much, as it has been my home all of my life..sigh. However, you have to go where the jobs are, and that is what we are doing also. Good luck!

Old 05-05-2007, 11:07 PM

1,774 posts, read 1,190,459 times
Hello -- I, too, would not advise moving to Yuma. I would suggest the Phoenix area because there are many more job opportunities. If you do have a Military background, you might enjoy living in Yuma as there are many Military folks there. It is a different culture, being so close to the Mexican border. A person can get used to many different things if he/she has to, and I'm sure you would be able to tolerate Yuma. However, chances are you would decide to relocate asap, so it is better just to find employment in a place you are more likely to want to stay. Good luck!

Old 05-05-2007, 11:24 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,163,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingfan1 View Post
Hi Zilk3. My husband and I are also relocating to Yuma. In fact, we are leaving this Monday to drive him down there, and then I fly back to stay until our house (please God!!) sells. IMO, you must have an open mind. It will be a big culture shock (or so I have been told), as I have never been to Az before either. I will miss Michigan very much, as it has been my home all of my life..sigh. However, you have to go where the jobs are, and that is what we are doing also. Good luck!
Ann Arbor to YUMA?? Why? I've stayed in Ann Arbor twice and thought it was a nice town. Why not Phx?

Old 05-12-2007, 05:22 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,865,930 times
Drove from NJ to Ca. (southern route) It was August. Yuma was our last stop over before our push into Ca. I can't imagine why anyone would want to go there, never mind live there.

Old 05-12-2007, 09:48 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,649,421 times
Let them go to Yuma. We have enough growth in Phoenix.

Old 05-13-2007, 08:28 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
Ann Arbor to YUMA?? Why? I've stayed in Ann Arbor twice and thought it was a nice town. Why not Phx?
Id agree. Ann Arbor is cool, WAY cooler (literally) than Yuma. Ann Arbor and Yuma are like night and day. Make sure you visit Yuma before you just pack up and move. Id recommend the Phoenix area much more than Yuma.

Old 05-20-2007, 09:40 PM

24 posts, read 109,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Id agree. Ann Arbor is cool, WAY cooler (literally) than Yuma. Ann Arbor and Yuma are like night and day. Make sure you visit Yuma before you just pack up and move. Id recommend the Phoenix area much more than Yuma.
I agree, having just returned from Yuma. However, one must go where the jobs are....and sadly, Michigan is not in the running. I guess I choose to look at it as a glass half full. We are giving it a year. If things don't work out, then we will decide where we go from there. The people that we have met have been very helpful and friendly. My husband is also ex-military, and has met some vets like himself. Big culture shock, the biggest being, so far, regarding doctors and doctors offices. We are renting right now, and like I said, we will have to wait and see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona