Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 01:06 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,229,260 times

Advertisements

I have to leave the country for 48 hours due to my immigration process . I'm not thrilled with the idea of going to Mexico alone, and staying there for that matter, but it beats the heck out of flying back to Canada.

Thanks for any information you can provide!

Old 10-27-2009, 01:12 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
I have to leave the country for 48 hours due to my immigration process . I'm not thrilled with the idea of going to Mexico alone, and staying there for that matter, but it beats the heck out of flying back to Canada.

Thanks for any information you can provide!
Los Algodones, Baja California, Community Directory

Their website shows no listings for lodging at all. Why did you pick this town over the others? Smaller is better in some respects, but the larger border towns will have more accommodations.

EDIT: Here's one in San Luis (San Luis Rio Colorado) which is also south of Yuma:

http://www.allmexicohotels.com/hotel/san-angel-san-luis-rio-colorado/info.php (broken link)

Last edited by observer53; 10-27-2009 at 01:22 PM..

Old 10-27-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
EDIT: Here's one in San Luis (San Luis Rio Colorado) which is also south of Yuma:

SAN ANGEL HOTEL, San Luis Rio Colorado, Mexico. (http://www.allmexicohotels.com/hotel/san-angel-san-luis-rio-colorado/info.php - broken link)
Thanks observer, I really appreciate it. I only picked Algodonas as I have heard that it is safe and is right on the border. I am Canadian and have never gone to Mexico that way (only by plane to resort areas further south). AND, I was going to get my teeth cleaned to pass some time!

Do you know how far south of Yuma San Luis is? I will check the link now.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:12 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,356,008 times
I've been to San Luis and I think it's closer to Yuma than Algodones. I think it was about a 25 min. drive from Yuma. Not a nice place though.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
I've been to San Luis and I think it's closer to Yuma than Algodones. I think it was about a 25 min. drive from Yuma. Not a nice place though.
Thanks Rick, what I really want to know is how far a drive is it in Mexico or can I walk across like Algodonas? I tried looking on my map and it doesn't show.

Do you know of a decent place to go for a weekend or a couple of weekdays?

Old 10-27-2009, 03:10 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,356,008 times
Yes, you can walk across in San Luis. However, the AZ side of the fence is not a great neighborhood to be leaving your car. There are parking lots right next to the border crossing. I've never been to Algodones. If you can drive into Mexico, you can probably find a better place to stay than right there in San Luis.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:54 PM

What were you planning on doing with the car in Algodones? Leave it parked on this side of the border for a couple of days? I've never been there, but that doesn't sound like a good idea either.

If you don't want to drive into Mexico, as Rick Lee suggested, your options are few, as far as keeping your car safe and staying somewhere on the border. Maybe flying to Canada (or Mexico) would be easier.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:25 PM

Observer, do you or anyone else know if it ouwld be safe for me to drive alone down to Rocky Point?

Is there any other destination that you recomend?

PS I was going to leave the car on the US side if I went to Algodones, a friend did that and recommended it to me but if it's not a good idea I won't.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Observer, do you or anyone else know if it ouwld be safe for me to drive alone down to Rocky Point?

PS I was going to leave the car on the US side if I went to Algodones, a friend did that and recommended it to me but if it's not a good idea I won't.
I'm not the expert on travel beyond the border, so I don't know where else to recommend. I would not drive to Rocky Point alone. Do you have a friend to go with you?

As far as parking the car on the US side, where did your friend park it, and for how long? I've never been to Algodones, but parking your car in a place you don't know (what's on the US side from Algodones?) for 48 hours, that close to the border? I wouldn't do it, unless I had a secure place to leave it and a Club on the steering column.

I think that if I HAD to leave the country for 48 hours, I'd make something fun out of it rather than stepping over the border and counting the hours until I could go back. How often do you have to do this, or is it a one time thing?

Old 10-27-2009, 06:08 PM

148 posts, read 757,996 times
Quote:

Algodones is a bit closer to Yuma than San Luis...... 7 or 8 miles compared to 25. The Quechan Tribe maintains a secured parking area at the border. I think it costs around $5 to park there. You won't be able to leave the parking lot between 10pm and 6am. Here is a link to a B&B for patients of TLC dentistry.
My Business - Home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona