Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 08:29 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times

Advertisements

When we lived in AZ, we found the property taxes to be very cheap, as compared to Ohio and Michigan. Things like clothing and food are comparable to where you live now, in fact, you will find the exact same stores with the exact same items for sale, lol.

The things that we found to be especially expensive in AZ were electric rates and auto registrations and insurance. Our electric bill for a house just under 3,000 sq ft. was $449 one month!!! Although, that was during this past summer, when July in Phoenix broke the record for being the hottest July on record, so take that into account, plus we had to run a pool pump. As far as automobile registrations, in MI, we paid right around $100/vehicle for a one yr. registration. In AZ, my three y.o. minivan cost $289, and my dh's truck was just under $400!!! Plus, auto insurance is very high in AZ, because of the high rate of auto thefts there. In fact, my dh got his truck stolen there, so we can attest to that first hand. It was locked and in broad daylight in a "good" area (Bell Rd. and 79th in Glendale) to boot. Ah well...but our auto insurance, for three drivers with excellent driving records and vehicles being average, American-made cars, the newest of which was a 2006, would have been $6,000/yr.--and that was after we shopped around a lot!! We ended up moving back to MI after dh lost his job in AZ, so we never ended up getting auto insurance there, but the same exact coverage for the same vehicles and drivers in MI is about $2,800.

There are pros and cons to both AZ and PA. Just make sure to secure good employment and do a lot of research before making the big move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 10:48 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
When we lived in AZ, we found the property taxes to be very cheap, as compared to Ohio and Michigan. Things like clothing and food are comparable to where you live now, in fact, you will find the exact same stores with the exact same items for sale, lol.

The things that we found to be especially expensive in AZ were electric rates and auto registrations and insurance. Our electric bill for a house just under 3,000 sq ft. was $449 one month!!! Although, that was during this past summer, when July in Phoenix broke the record for being the hottest July on record, so take that into account, plus we had to run a pool pump. As far as automobile registrations, in MI, we paid right around $100/vehicle for a one yr. registration. In AZ, my three y.o. minivan cost $289, and my dh's truck was just under $400!!! Plus, auto insurance is very high in AZ, because of the high rate of auto thefts there. In fact, my dh got his truck stolen there, so we can attest to that first hand. It was locked and in broad daylight in a "good" area (Bell Rd. and 79th in Glendale) to boot. Ah well...but our auto insurance, for three drivers with excellent driving records and vehicles being average, American-made cars, the newest of which was a 2006, would have been $6,000/yr.--and that was after we shopped around a lot!! We ended up moving back to MI after dh lost his job in AZ, so we never ended up getting auto insurance there, but the same exact coverage for the same vehicles and drivers in MI is about $2,800.

There are pros and cons to both AZ and PA. Just make sure to secure good employment and do a lot of research before making the big move!
Sigh. Might I remind you that you're in the Arizona forum, not the Phoenix forum. So please don't say AZ when you mean Phoenix. Phoenix is a big city and NOT indicative of the rest of Arizona. We pay an average of $350/year for full coverage on each of our late model vehicles (2007, 2005, and 2004), and that includes a ton of extra liability insurance. I don't mean to be harsh, or pick on you, but this is very typical of the misinformation we see here in the Arizona forum. The OP said nothing about Phoenix which in my mind is a special case. There's a reason why many of us choose not to live there.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:57 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times
Good point, and my apologies for offending a native Arizonian.

I am glad to learn that there are places to live in AZ where having a car doesn't bankrupt you. ; )

Last edited by canudigit; 10-31-2009 at 03:09 PM..

Old 12-17-2009, 03:13 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times
When I first moved to AZ I didn't like it. Coming from Charlotte, NC, I thought it was a step backwards. However, with each year I have learned to appreciate the beauty and diversity offered in this wonderful state. It's true that summers are brutal! But, you have the option of traveling to the mountains where temps tend to be more in line with what us East Coasters are used to during that time of year. It's also true that it can be dusty at times. It's also true that the economy is greatly struggling, but all the overinflated stories of crime and immigration being so horrible are not true. It's no different here than any other large metropolitan area. Right now we are enjoying 70-degree weather while watching others around the country deal with snowstorms, ice storms, flooding, ect. It's all in what you're looking for. I happen to think AZ is a great place with lots of potential!

Old 12-22-2009, 03:21 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,942,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumblina View Post
I was wondering when the AZ bashing was gonna start! Moderator cut: personal having lived in Michigan all my life I can tell you why so many midwesterns pick AZ to move to -- the weather. You guys warn us all the time of the 110+ summers. Well, if you wanted to know about moving to Mich or Penn, we'd warn you about the wicked winters, complete with -0 temperatures, ice storms, blizzards, etc. and the hot, humid, sticky summers. I think when people decide to move to another state, a lot of it simply has to do with "change." Change of scenery, weather, whatever. For me, personally, I want to move to AZ cuz I LOVE the hot weather. Yes, 100+ is okay with me (as long as I have a shady spot to sit in). I spent a whole day in Death Valley driving around in a convertible with the top down and it was 115+. Not a problem for me. I also find the desert landscape to be absolutely beautiful -- sort of peaceful and spiritual.

It's okay to inform people of what they should expect -- both the good and bad, Moderator cut: personal ! No matter where you go, you'll find good and bad with your surroundings.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-22-2009 at 04:10 PM..

Old 12-22-2009, 05:50 PM

19 posts, read 32,511 times
Default not a response but a question related to original

I also am interested in learning all about Arizona.

where is the best place to find regional information, as well as , perhaps, "hidden gems of places to live in Arizona"

will not give my personal specs here, as the question was asked by another user..

i just would , (and think it would be helpful for future readers of this post),
like to find some good reference sources for different areas of Arizona,..(.references found,perhaps ,all in one place or a few places where one can compare areas,perhaps)

thanks
alice

Old 12-25-2009, 11:12 AM

13 posts, read 19,036 times
Default Arizona

I lived in Arizona for four years I wold move back in a heartbeat I live in Illinois that's were all the pollution is cost of living is cheaper in az as far as jobs yeah it may be hard

Old 12-25-2009, 11:16 AM

13 posts, read 19,036 times
Default Az

They also drive like idiots in Chicago two types they drive fast the others drive like there in a funeral the old people in Arizona drive better than Illinois they are so stupid in Illinois

Old 12-28-2009, 05:17 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,889,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicemagooey View Post

where is the best place to find regional information, as well as , perhaps, "hidden gems of places to live in Arizona"

will not give my personal specs here, as the question was asked by another user..

like to find some good reference sources for different areas of Arizona,..(.references found,perhaps ,all in one place or a few places where one can compare areas,perhaps)

thanks
alice
Tucson is great. Scenic beauty, good midrange size, and great blend of American, Mexican, Native American culture. Slightly more rain and cooler than Phoenix.
Pictures are worth a thousand words so if I had to name one reference source I'd say check all the posted pictures of Google Earth. All the pictures people post in and around Tucson seal the deal for me.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:53 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicemagooey View Post

thanks
alice
My starting point for research is finding city web sites, which usually lead me to the local newspaper website and/or chamber of commerce sites (example Rim Country C of C). Then I'm off and running

Wikipedia is another resource, like White Mountains. If you look at the bottom of the page, it has external links to non-wiki websites and it has other wiki links to regions, counties, and cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona