Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 12:19 PM

104 posts, read 688,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
When my relatives come to town, I just tell them the Grand Canyon is overrated and we skip it.
How sad....please visit the North Rim country...don't be quite so negative about one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 02:01 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,474,919 times
A helicopter tour is a russian roulette idea maybe you won't crash and die and maybe you will.
As posted the North rim is really the best way to see the canyon, on the way up from flag stop at Lees Ferry and check out the sites there and also the Navajo tour stop, whoops just forgot I beleive they charge to check out the bridge now.
I just came through Peach Springs yesterday and did not even see signs pointing you out there from that side, Beleive its Buck and Doe rd buts its not marked so they miss the tourists on rt 66 coming through, which is a good thing as the skywalk is overrated. in my opinon

Old 06-23-2007, 02:32 PM

5,595 posts, read 19,047,047 times
Just talked to some friends who did the skywalk on their vacation a couple of weeks ago. They were unimpressed. Plus, they told me that they got sick eating at the free lunch they give you. They couldn't hold down food for the next two days. They traced it down to what they think was bad mayo in the coldslaw (?).

For me, I'll pass. I might give it a shot if it were a bit less expensive.

Old 06-24-2007, 12:56 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,251,717 times
In case anybody was interested, we ended up going to Sedona instead. I convinced her it really wasn't worth it - and I really don't think it's worth it! - and she really enjoyed Sedona. I definitely want to visit the Skywalk someday - I may even consider the current price if at least the visitor center gets built - but not until they make it worth my while.

Old 06-24-2007, 01:07 PM

999 posts, read 4,527,522 times
I'd spend a little extra and take the helicopter. I also like the North Rim better due to fewer people. As far as those who say the canyon is "overrated", what were you expecting, choirs of singing cherubs?? I think it's amazing to consider how long it took to carve all those layers out of rock. Makes me think that the next few years to retirement aren't really that big of a deal!!

Maybe they can add a bunch of colored lights like they used to have for Christmas trees in the 60's and 70's under the aluminum trees. You know, add some fake color for a 24 hour per day tourist attraction like they did at Niagara Falls. That way, people can just LOOK at the pretty, man-made colors and not have to actually think about the significance of what they're looking at in order to appreciate it.

Old 06-24-2007, 10:20 PM

43 posts, read 297,881 times
It is not worth it.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:32 AM

285 posts, read 785,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
In case anybody was interested, we ended up going to Sedona instead. I convinced her it really wasn't worth it - and I really don't think it's worth it! - and she really enjoyed Sedona. I definitely want to visit the Skywalk someday - I may even consider the current price if at least the visitor center gets built - but not until they make it worth my while.
Good decision.

I drove there several months ago just before the goofy thing opened. My first annoyance was the long, washboard road. I thought all the bolts in my Tahoe were going to be rattled loose. Would hate to try that road in a regular passenger car. My next annoyance was the fact that you never get any significant elevation like you get on the South & North Rims. To me, that's what makes thoughs places so neat is that you get into alpine elevations that offer much cooler temperatures and nice pine trees.

And now I hear you have to by $50 upon entering the Reservation and you can't take cameras. What a joke. The walkway itself was a private venture that used investor money. Will be interesting to see what kind of a ROE the gullable investors get on this ill-concieved attraction. I can't image any repeat business on this thing.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:30 AM

Quote:
NOBODY wants to pay that much money for something that's going to take 5 minutes!
Nobody WANTS to pay that much, but they will......It took me less than 5 minutes to say "I do", and I've been paying ever since!!

Old 06-26-2007, 09:01 AM

4,273 posts, read 15,251,717 times
ahhh, but in return you are getting a lifetime of joyful bliss! (don't forget, be careful how you respond b'c the Internet is FOREVER!)

Old 06-26-2007, 10:22 AM

Quote:
ahhh, but in return you are getting a lifetime of joyful bliss!
Oh, yeah, that was it...I knew there had to be a rational explanation for me giving up that aweful lifestyle of doing whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted to!! After twelve years of Catholic school, I craved more structure!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona