U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 11:21 AM

51 posts, read 184,661 times

Advertisements

Maybe look into Page or Douglas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 01:19 PM

2 posts, read 10,699 times
Default small AZ towns

I would pick Tombstone over Douglas any day... Tombstone is that weird, quirky small town that would definitely give you something to watch as you pass away the days.... SE AZ is MUCH cooler than places you see on newscasts as far as weather goes. We are (in Sierra Vista) easily 10 degrees cooler than Phoenix in the Summer. I don't know the exact stats, but it doesn't seem like we go over 100 more than 10 days a year.... Bisbee is a cute little hippy town that's small as well. I would think a Jazz musician would love to go there.... funky little bars & such.

Old 06-05-2007, 12:10 PM

16 posts, read 36,569 times
haha, yeah. Have you been behind Nothing, AZ. There is incredible camping to the north of it.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:28 AM

96 posts, read 308,599 times
Dolan Springs, Chloride, Wickieup, Old town Cornville

Old 07-23-2008, 10:32 AM

96 posts, read 308,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
He might even love Nowhere, AZ - population of what is it...3? Mom, Pop and Son, one 30587897 year old dog and one overpriced rusty gas pump. Nowhere, AZ - always a treat to stop at on the way to Vegas!
I just drove by on the way to Vegas about a month ago and it looks like Nowhere, AZ is in fact finally no where

Old 10-22-2008, 09:40 AM

1 posts, read 3,830 times
Default Retiring in Bouse,AZ

I have been to Bouse,AZ. My friend found the area by accident.The town is mostly made up of Trailers and small houses, very quiet. Nearest town is Parker long lonely 1/2 hr drive where they have a small grocery store, radio shack, dairy queen, bar or two, no resturants. If you want to hide out and just watch TV that is the town, they do have a comunity center where they have dinners, thankgiving etc,otherwise not a place to retire. It is a small community with a post office no bigger than my living room. How people settled there, I don't know, Nice people but in the middle of nowhere. It is a 45 minute dark ride from Phoenix. One two lane highway through town, you see a car or truck maybe every 45 minutes if that. If you have a major medical problem, you are air lifted by Helicopter to Phoenix, AZ. Lake Havasue,AZ is the closest real city there, but alot of tourist.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:15 PM

689 posts, read 1,592,606 times
Big thing a lot of people on here are missing: if he wants to "sit and watch the world go by", he'd better find a place that has SOME SORT OF VIEW!! Why move to Chloride or Nowhere, when there is nothing out there to look at except a tumbleweed and some brown hills??
I agree with the poster that said you need to pack up, take a vacation, and go on an exploratory search of areas you research and tentatively have the desire to move to. I probably NEVER would have considered retiring in Page (where I plan on being in about 14 years-ugh...too long) unless I went there first. You HAVE to go see different places and explore- that's part of the fun of llife itself. If I were you, I'd check out Page and some other areas like Show-Low, and some more out-of-the-way spots that will be less expensive. Granted, Page is higher in price than what you may be looking for, and the population can pick up during certain times of the year. It may not really be for you and what you described. But don't just surf the net to make a decision. You HAVE to get out there and check it out in person.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:23 PM

3,089 posts, read 2,997,747 times
OK, you like Norther AZ, looking for a small, reasonably priced community, OK with a mobile home if that is the best you can do. Maybe try Wickenburg, Congress, Yarnell (all between Phoenix and Prescott, all very "modest" communities, but part time jobs, etc., should be available, although not highly paid, if needed). Further North, Northeast Cottonwood, Payson, Overgaard, ShowLow. . . . seems like AZ is kindof ideal for this. I would LOVE to have 2500.00 a month to live on! currently living on quite a bit less than that, in Phoenix but even though my "savings" have evaporated with the market downturns, I own my (small) home, free and clear, own my vehicles (car and truck, neither either new nor fancy) free and clear, and work full time with benfits. Good Luck to you.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:27 PM

6,352 posts, read 10,507,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich67 View Post
Big thing a lot of people on here are missing: if he wants to "sit and watch the world go by", he'd better find a place that has SOME SORT OF VIEW!! Why move to Chloride or Nowhere, when there is nothing out there to look at except a tumbleweed and some brown hills??
That's a rather odd statement. That's what a desert is, brown mountains and tumbleweeds, which personally I find quite beautiful. The only difference between Chloride and Page is that Page has the Colorado river running through it. Not everybody wants to live in a tourist mecca.

Old 10-22-2008, 04:13 PM

689 posts, read 1,592,606 times
I guess it was a little odd- I meant more like rock formations and reddish hues (kind of like what you see in Sedona)...I meant more of like the "scenic" desert....it's kinda hard to explain. I mean, like the Mojave desert in California is different than the desert in Sedona, that sort of thing. I drove through Chloride once...it was not really what I would call "scenic". The desert CAN be beautiful, but you have to choose the right part of the desert....if that makes any more sense than what I typed earlier...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona