Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 05:22 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich67 View Post
I guess it was a little odd- I meant more like rock formations and reddish hues (kind of like what you see in Sedona)...I meant more of like the "scenic" desert....it's kinda hard to explain. I mean, like the Mojave desert in California is different than the desert in Sedona, that sort of thing. I drove through Chloride once...it was not really what I would call "scenic". The desert CAN be beautiful, but you have to choose the right part of the desert....if that makes any more sense than what I typed earlier...lol
Ok, I see what you mean. Sedona is pretty special, in fact it's one of the most scenic places in the country. And the cost of living there reflects that. Ditto for Page. Neither town is a retirement destination, except for the wealthy. The rest of us will have to settle for the 99% rest of the state which is pretty much brown and dusty. Kinda like this little patch of desert which is close to my home. To me this is beautiful and inspiring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 06:13 PM

849 posts, read 2,921,611 times
Oh wow, see that isn't bad at all....that looks awesome, actually.
Why is Page considered so pricey? I didn't notice that when I was out there, plus the home prices seem reasonable enough now. I have a home here that will be worth close to 400k free and clear when I retire (the market allowing), and I can get a pretty darn nice home in Page for that price. The only thing that will dip into my living expenses will be car registration (here in FL I only pay about $50 a year) and state income tax (which is negligible, IMO). I can't wait. I plan on exploring every inch of Arizona once I get out there, and doing it until I croak.
BTW, where did you take that pic? That looks absolutely awesome.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:46 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,223,721 times
I haven't read the whole post here but do want to add for those that might be interested, that if you really want to live in Sedona, there are two 'over 55' mobile home parks that are in awesome locations in Sedona, and after buying the home for $30,000 to 100,000 (depending on which one you pick), you can live for $400 to $800 per month. I love the lifestyle, and have the views and beauty as well as being right at the hiking trails. It's a different life than living on your own property but it is wonderful!

Old 10-23-2008, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Oh wow, see that isn't bad at all....that looks awesome, actually.
Why is Page considered so pricey? I didn't notice that when I was out there, plus the home prices seem reasonable enough now. I have a home here that will be worth close to 400k free and clear when I retire (the market allowing), and I can get a pretty darn nice home in Page for that price.
[...]
BTW, where did you take that pic? That looks absolutely awesome.
Thanks! That's Yucca, AZ, less than an hour from my home. I just discovered it and the area blows my socks off.

As for the cost of living in Page, I was talking about housing. Maybe I'm wrong, I was only going by what I've read in this forum. But still, $400K isn't cheap by AZ retirement standards, not by a long shot. You can buy a 1700 sq/ft house in Kingman right now for $70K.

I got a rep for posting the shot of Yucca, so I'll post a couple more from there if folks don't mind.

Got rattled at by a rattlesnake taking this one.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:22 AM

Awesome pics...simply awesome. The $400k is for a very nice home, ranging from 1700-1800 sf, with a view of the lake and surrounding canyons, large boat accomodating garage, wraparound porch, etc. etc. You can get a nice condo for $380k, around the same square footage, brand new, with lake views. It's the view you are paying for. The ultimate is eating dinner on your rear porch and watching the sun set and turning the cliffs around the lake bright red. I'd pay 400k for that..lol. Yes, it is steeper than other areas, but I have to make it work-that's the place I am dreaming of living.
Your area looks very nice as well. Excellent photography man!

Old 10-23-2008, 10:22 AM

24,447 posts, read 25,978,821 times
Again, nice pix Kdog.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Awesome pics...simply awesome. The $400k is for a very nice home, ranging from 1700-1800 sf, with a view of the lake and surrounding canyons, large boat accomodating garage, wraparound porch, etc. etc. You can get a nice condo for $380k, around the same square footage, brand new, with lake views. It's the view you are paying for. The ultimate is eating dinner on your rear porch and watching the sun set and turning the cliffs around the lake bright red. I'd pay 400k for that..lol. Yes, it is steeper than other areas, but I have to make it work-that's the place I am dreaming of living.
Your area looks very nice as well. Excellent photography man!
Hmm, I may have to rethink where I want to retire as well. I just got back from another photography trip to Page (wait until you see those pics). That area has so much to offer, and I've barely scratched the surface. Living on the river or lake would be nice.

On the other hand, we're really digging Kingman. The sunrises and sunsets from my backyard are outstanding. Plus we're a lot more centrally located here than in Page. Close to Vegas, Lake Havasu, Laughlin/Bullhead, etc, etc. Being right at the junction of I40 and 93, everybody passes through here eventually, so we get a lot of visitors. That would never happen in Page. And of course I can get to Page fairly quickly too when I want. Hard choices. Luckily there's no pressure to make them.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:02 PM

Ok, some pictures from my recent Page trip are up (along with some others) Trip report from Page and Moab (dialup alert)

Welcome to your new home, Rich

Old 10-24-2008, 05:52 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,341,713 times
Hi Kdog...
As always.. your photo's are awsome, thanks!

Seriously dude.. you should open a studio.
Since many travel thru Kingman.. a photography art studio
on the main strip, and with your wonderful photo's framed..
you could make a buck or two. always look forward to your
next photo shoot... awsome!

Old 10-24-2008, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Ok, some pictures from my recent Page trip are up (along with some others) Trip report from Page and Moab (dialup alert)

Welcome to your new home, Rich
OK. That does it. I'm outta here...lol. Amazing pics, beautiful scenery. I can't wait to be out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona