Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 12:41 PM

38,982 posts, read 50,934,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPa View Post
Thank you so much for the input. To me it doesn`t matter how rich or poor my neighbors live so the trailors are no problem. I`ve been looking at a couple homes ( not trailors ) online thru Zip reality. The realtor has send me some nice homes but I was just concerned about how safe it would be for me to live alone there. I`m 60ish but young at heart and would like to have my horses with me.
To the others, i`m sorry i don`t know how to use the forums properly but I will learn better manners. I didn`t realize I was offensive. Have a BLESSED day !
Safety wise I think you would be fine. I never heard of those areas being bad from a crime perspective. The thing that would concern me would be the isolation from needed services and shopping. As you get older it can be more difficult to drive and being alone in the middle of a 35 acre parcel has its risks, too. Don't know what you would end up with, but many of the acre and larger properties can easily be left "desert" so that yard maintenance will not be needed except in very wet years when it'll be necessary to tame the weeds with Roundup.

Not everyone living out that way is poor, BTW. There are those who work at Palo Verde out there including some of the plant engineers. There's also cops, gas company workers, etc. They just like to be out of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 01:52 PM

119 posts, read 311,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Safety wise I think you would be fine. I never heard of those areas being bad from a crime perspective. The thing that would concern me would be the isolation from needed services and shopping. As you get older it can be more difficult to drive and being alone in the middle of a 35 acre parcel has its risks, too. Don't know what you would end up with, but many of the acre and larger properties can easily be left "desert" so that yard maintenance will not be needed except in very wet years when it'll be necessary to tame the weeds with Roundup.

Not everyone living out that way is poor, BTW. There are those who work at Palo Verde out there including some of the plant engineers. There's also cops, gas company workers, etc. They just like to be out of the city.
Thanks again. My brother is in Phoenix right now visiting, he`s sending me pics via facebook. Just rubbing it in on me, he loves it there. Maybe he`ll retire in Arizona also. Wishfull thinking.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:35 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,103,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryPa View Post
Just don`t give me any info if it`s too much for you, I thought the forum was for chatting about Arizona. No i`m not angry at all just confussed at the last 2 responses.
I don't think anyone meant to be rude....................it's just very unusual for some one to make a decision of this magnitude and not have visited the area.

Some additional points to be considered:

1/ If you bring your horses be prepared for a very difficult transition for them as related to daytime temperatures (from May through Sept) to be well above 100F---even as high as 118F. (AND this can and will be day after day after day....) Without proper conditioning (over time) to these temps and "constant" available shade (and you won't get it from trees---there are NONE like you're familiar with from the Glen Rock, PA area), you may have some very high VET bills, and maybe lose a horse.....God forbid.

2/ You will be about 5 miles from the largest Nuclear Powered Electrical Generating facility in the USA.

3/ You will be just 50 miles west of Phoenix (which at the latest estimate has OVER 4,766,000 people in the metro Phoenix area.!!!!! Yes that's almost 5 million!!!!!!!!! And they are all within 45 to 50 minutes drive from you!!!!

My suggestion: Make arrangements to visit there some time this late June....stay a least 5 days in the area.....talk to some local horse people......and then go back to Glen Rock and think it over!!!

Good Luck.....................

Old 03-07-2010, 01:50 PM

119 posts, read 311,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
I don't think anyone meant to be rude....................it's just very unusual for some one to make a decision of this magnitude and not have visited the area.

Some additional points to be considered:

1/ If you bring your horses be prepared for a very difficult transition for them as related to daytime temperatures (from May through Sept) to be well above 100F---even as high as 118F. (AND this can and will be day after day after day....) Without proper conditioning (over time) to these temps and "constant" available shade (and you won't get it from trees---there are NONE like you're familiar with from the Glen Rock, PA area), you may have some very high VET bills, and maybe lose a horse.....God forbid.

2/ You will be about 5 miles from the largest Nuclear Powered Electrical Generating facility in the USA.

3/ You will be just 50 miles west of Phoenix (which at the latest estimate has OVER 4,766,000 people in the metro Phoenix area.!!!!! Yes that's almost 5 million!!!!!!!!! And they are all within 45 to 50 minutes drive from you!!!!

My suggestion: Make arrangements to visit there some time this late June....stay a least 5 days in the area.....talk to some local horse people......and then go back to Glen Rock and think it over!!!

Good Luck.....................
Oh I do plan onvisiting a couple times for a week each visit. My brother`s in-law live on the outskirts of Phoenix and said my sister and I can stay there while visiting. I heard the Nuclear plant was safe. Doe`s it affect the enviroment in a negative way? That WILL change my mind very fast. Oh my lands !!

Old 03-07-2010, 04:45 PM

894 posts, read 2,191,698 times
Mary-You will be just fine in Tonopah. I grew up in Buckeye/Tonopah. It is much larger than it used to be, and has really grown a lot in the past 6 years I have been gone. I am active duty Army, (until July, I will be going home,) and each time I get a chance to go home, the area has more and more Manufactured homes. Like Ponderosa said, it is pretty quiet out there. I would recommend it for retirement. It is a great place for Horse Property, as there are many out there already, and the horses have no problems living. There are a few laws you have to abide by for horses though, as they have to have some sort of shelter to get out of the sun. That shouldn't be an issue.

If you need some help setting the place up, my best friend and I had taken care of horses the better part of our childhood, so we would be more than happy to help you out if you need it. I know a 60 yr old woman cannot do it alone. I mean no disrespect with that statement.

If you need help, send me a message.

I recommend north of I-10 for the property. That is where the mountains are, and less populated. The majority of the population is south of I10, where it is all flat land with lots of washes throughout. Further out west is Harquahala Valley, very very desolate. There is nothing out there except farm land and "workers," but very beautiful nonetheless. I would not recommend that area. It used to be a really quiet place to be, but over the years crime has increased out there. My best friends dad lives out there. Over the years, he has a series of break ins, as well as other homes in the area. Everything of Value was stolen. My first car, a 1973 Nova, was stolen, his Cadillac that was in his barn, his bronco, his big TV, and all of the guns in the gun cabinet were stolen. Somebody had apparently been watching the house. Seeing that work was in Buckeye, almost 50 miles away, and with no local law enforcement to worry about, they had plenty of time to ransack.

Last edited by OurNextAdventure; 03-07-2010 at 04:55 PM..

Old 03-07-2010, 05:13 PM

Mary-Response from another thread on hay-There are quite a few places to get your hay from in the Buckeye area. Just about every farm field around there is Alfalfa or Bermuda grass. They grow for the vast amounts if Dairy farms in the area. I don't know what the prices are these days, I haven't been home much in the past 6 years. I would assume it is cheaper to buy direct from the Farmer. I used to work for Liberty Hay one summer, and they had the best prices around. We hand loaded the hay into your bed or trailer for you. (MOD-I am not advertising, just stating what I know.)

This has got me thinking about all these memories I have from when I was growing up, and now I am even more home sick than I have ever been.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:40 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,768,085 times
[quote=AzDesertRat86;13196588]
If you need some help setting the place up, my best friend and I had taken care of horses the better part of our childhood, so we would be more than happy to help you out if you need it. I know a 60 yr old woman cannot do it alone. I mean no disrespect with that statement.

That is nice

Old 03-09-2010, 09:23 AM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,103,197 times
[quote=AzDesertRat86;13196588]........................I grew up in Buckeye/Tonopah. ......................... I am active duty Army, (until July, I will be going home,)...............][/color](Griz response))I thank you for posting such a helpful and considerate response.......and for serving in Iraq,,,,,,and wish you well and a safe return to AZ.

Question: Do you think that due to the fact you grew up in an area that many times has had temps in the 110F to 120F range, you have been able to tolerate the temps in Iraq more effectively than other service people from places like northern MN or Alaska. Just wondering!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you need some help setting the place up, my best friend and I had taken care of horses the better part of our childhood, so we would be more than happy to help you out if you need it. I know a 60 yr old woman cannot do it alone. I mean no disrespect with that statement. Very thoughtful & considerate of you to be so kind.

Old 03-09-2010, 12:46 PM

1,240 posts, read 2,232,788 times
[quote=Grannysroost;13197227]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDesertRat86 View Post

That is nice

I thought the same thing granny.

Old 03-09-2010, 02:02 PM

[quote=Montana Griz;13219510]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDesertRat86 View Post
........................I grew up in Buckeye/Tonopah. ......................... I am active duty Army, (until July, I will be going home,)...............][/color](Griz response))I thank you for posting such a helpful and considerate response.......and for serving in Iraq,,,,,,and wish you well and a safe return to AZ.

Question: Do you think that due to the fact you grew up in an area that many times has had temps in the 110F to 120F range, you have been able to tolerate the temps in Iraq more effectively than other service people from places like northern MN or Alaska. Just wondering!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you need some help setting the place up, my best friend and I had taken care of horses the better part of our childhood, so we would be more than happy to help you out if you need it. I know a 60 yr old woman cannot do it alone. I mean no disrespect with that statement. Very thoughtful & considerate of you to be so kind.
I think it helps a lot. My wife is from central Minnesota, and is here deployed as well, and she cannot stand the heat. 100F is too hot for her. Regardless if I grew up in the heat or not, it still drains all your energy the second you step outside. You just have to keep driving on. The faster you get finished doing what you have to do, the faster you get to get back to the A/C. It is by far worse here, as we cannot strip down to shorts, t shirt and flip flops; and it is a little hotter. This past August, we recorded 138F on the flight line. I couldn't believe it. After this past summer, I don't think I will ever complain about the heat back home; unless of course I am suited up in a fire suit (I am going to go to school to be a fire fighter) in the middle of July.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona