Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 07:15 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,228,834 times

Advertisements

I just spent a week in FL, and for the first time in several visits found the higher humidity a problem even in the cool weather... joints sore, etc... as soon as I got back here, much better! So that "dry cool" is nice, too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 08:27 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,623,921 times
Dry cool, dry cold, dry heat - it's all good! You can get a rash in a place you didn't know you could get one in high hunidity.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:37 PM

8,028 posts, read 12,182,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Dry cool, dry cold, dry heat - it's all good! You can get a rash in a place you didn't know you could get one in high hunidity.
Consistent dry weather ISN'T good, esepcecially when there's a significant lack of precipiation and a drought occurring (like there is presently). Phoenix Sky Harbor has recorded just over three inches of rain for the entire year, which is more than five inches below normal.

While it's true that colder & wetter climates can be difficult on certain health problems, the fact is that dry climates can be hard on other types of health concerns. Skin cancer is rampant in Arizona. Heat stroke is common when people don't take the necessary precautions. Also, a condition called Sjogren's Syndrome is known to become worse in dry climates. Somebody I know is married to a guy with a debilitating disease who moved here from the Pacific NW for a dry, sunny climate in hopes of prolonging his life. Unfortunately, the dry climate hasn't helped him at all ... in fact, he's getting worse and progressing toward death seemingly every day.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:48 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,244,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valley native View Post
consistent dry weather isn't good, esepcecially when there's a significant lack of precipiation and a drought occurring (like there is presently). Phoenix sky harbor has recorded just over three inches of rain for the entire year, which is more than five inches below normal.

While it's true that colder & wetter climates can be difficult on certain health problems, the fact is that dry climates can be hard on other types of health concerns. Skin cancer is rampant in arizona. Heat stroke is common when people don't take the necessary precautions. Also, a condition called sjogren's syndrome is known to become worse in dry climates. Somebody i know is married to a guy with a debilitating disease who moved here from the pacific nw for a dry, sunny climate in hopes of prolonging his life. Unfortunately, the dry climate hasn't helped him at all ... In fact, he's getting worse and progressing toward death seemingly every day.
holy sh.. Your a downer

Old 12-30-2009, 10:13 PM

8,028 posts, read 12,182,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
holy sh.. Your a downer
Not by a long shot ... just a realist. If anybody should know about the long term effects of a dry climate, it would be me because I have lived here all my life. My mother has Sjogren's syndrome which is worsened by dry air, and several of my family members who live in the Phoenix area have had skin cancer. From an outsider's or a newcomer's viewpoint, it's easy to look at Arizona as a place with perfect weather ... but there is a bigger picture to view, and truly getting a taste of the long term effects of the dryness.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:27 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,858,160 times
Yeah, it's nice until May.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:23 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,623,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Not by a long shot ... just a realist. If anybody should know about the long term effects of a dry climate, it would be me because I have lived here all my life. My mother has Sjogren's syndrome which is worsened by dry air, and several of my family members who live in the Phoenix area have had skin cancer. From an outsider's or a newcomer's viewpoint, it's easy to look at Arizona as a place with perfect weather ... but there is a bigger picture to view, and truly getting a taste of the long term effects of the dryness.
Oh, I know there are problems everywhere. I just prefer the dry air of UT over the humidity of the South. I have fewer problems here, that's all. No place is perfect for everyone.

Old 12-31-2009, 04:29 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,228,834 times
Skin cancer is common here, but it's the easiest cancer to prevent/control, with good precautions. I'm sort of an expert on that.

And yes, prolonged dry weather presents health issues for some people. As Southern Belle said, no place is perfect for everyone. I am sorry that your friend is terminally ill , but people with severe illnesses move to different climates all the time hoping it will help. Sometimes it does, but sadly, sometimes it does not. You can't "blame" the climate for that. I had a friend years ago with such an illness who moved TO the PNW thinking a cooler, damper climate would help. It seemed to, for a time. But for a disease with no cure, eventually it took over. Neither climate had very much to do with the course of her condition.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:45 AM

286 posts, read 675,544 times
AHH Yes,
In 1955 we hoped and prayed that no one else would visit and stay.....it did not work. I had friends who felt this way about Santa Fe,,New Mexico ten years ago...THEY VACATIONED THERE AND STAYED,ESSENTIALLY DROPPED OUT.Recently, they telephoned and the subject of Taos came up.I blurted something about isolation...
but they want to be by themselves....to a degree.....they think!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: