Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2006, 01:28 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,472,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
According to the lastest studies Las Vegas is more dangerous than Phoenix. Must be the gamblers getting mad when they lose! lol
You got that right and it always has been. I lived there for 1 year.

Old 10-20-2006, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
I don't have any objections to Phoenix. Particularly some of its suburbs. I prefer Tucson or south of there but Phoenix is on my list of livable places. I suggest to anyone looking for a high tech career that Phoenix is a much better choice than Vegas.

I think I may have pointed out that we have a couple of ex-Phoenix types who hate the place in Las Vegas...but that was more to demonstrate the existence of an exact dual of your views with the cities reversed.

Crime is lower in Vegas than Phoenix. Not by a large amount though.

A lot of crime in Vegas is not reported. You can't compare the two cities for crime. We have crime but Vegas is another world of crime.

Old 10-20-2006, 01:36 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,670,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
A lot of crime in Vegas is not reported. You can't compare the two cities for crime. We have crime but Vegas is another world of crime.
Yea all those bodies never found in the desert!!! Never get reported!!

Old 10-20-2006, 03:07 PM

13 posts, read 126,839 times
I grew up in Hawai`i and spent my early twenties in Seattle...so I think I can safely say that I know what it's like to live where life is pretty fantastic! I've only lived here 6 months and I hate the Phoenix area! It's a terrible place to live!

Okay...my list is long....

Crime is high...I live in a decent neighborhood and I've had my tires slashed and my car egged! (As did the rest of my neighbors)

My car has garnered more dings in it these past 6 months than it has over the past 6 years. Everyone drives huge trucks and they squeeze into tight parking spots...then hit your car when they try to squeeze out.

Car Insurance is very, very high because there are so many uninsured drivers.
Utility bills are astronomical - I pay three times what I did in Seattle for a similar sized home.

The heat in the summer is beyond awful - the heat will ruin your car. It oxidizes the paint and cracks the rubber. You also have to buy a new battery every year.

It is brown...unrelenting brown...and dusty!

Customer service does not exist - people are very rude here.

The driving is atrocious! I nearly get hit everyday. The posted speed limit is 55 in some places but you have to go 75 to avoid getting run over.

The nice weather from October to March doesn't compensate for all the other bad things.

Oh yes, and because there are so many immigrants (illegal and otherwise) Spanish speakers are given preference for any job. (for the record...I am part Spanish)

People bring their young children to rated R movies and don't take them out of the theater when they cry. Two seperate times I have experienced people answering their cell phone, then having a conversation during a movie. I've stopped going to the movies here!

My suggestion...do not move here!

Old 10-20-2006, 03:12 PM

"People bring their young children to rated R movies and don't take them out of the theater when they cry. Two seperate times I have experienced people answering their cell phone, then having a conversation during a movie. I've stopped going to the movies here!"

People do this all over, I have lived in Portland ,Seattle as well, ( not cheap anymore) 1800 sq.ft house will cost you in the 300,000. easy, DC, maryland NC and now AZ, alot of what you said is everywhere. And as far as dirt and dust and brown and heat, do people not realize it is a desert?

Old 10-20-2006, 03:19 PM

Quote:
"People bring their young children to rated R movies and don't take them out of the theater when they cry. Two seperate times I have experienced people answering their cell phone, then having a conversation during a movie. I've stopped going to the movies here!"

People do this all over, I have lived in Portland ,Seattle as well, ( not cheap anymore) 1800 sq.ft house will cost you in the 300,000. easy, DC, maryland NC and now AZ, alot of what you said is everywhere. And as far as dirt and dust and brown and heat, do people not realize it is a desert?

It doesn't look that bad here for a desert, Vegas is a dirty brown dust bowl.

Old 10-20-2006, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
It doesn't look that bad here for a desert, Vegas is a dirty brown dust bowl.
I was pleasantly surprised when we got here, alot greener than I thought it would be. it even has trees and the cacti are cool

Old 10-20-2006, 05:01 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,204,096 times
Quote:
According to the lastest studies Las Vegas is more dangerous than Phoenix. Must be the gamblers getting mad when they lose! lol
City to City on violent crime it is 119th to 123rd favoring Phoenix. I believe the metro area is more favorable to Phoenix. They remain close though. Both are reasonably good...for large metro areas.

Old 10-20-2006, 05:06 PM

52 posts, read 186,946 times
well i have been living here in the valley for 25 years.so i have seen alot.and now i live in mesa and it is bad here.there alot off crime here never get report.i am a nurse here in the valley.and there way to many spanish people in the valley for me.if they care and wanted to do thing legal then it would be for them to come here.but sad to say i have decide to start looking for a new home in north caroline are tennesse.and i would tell anyone please don't move here.

Old 10-20-2006, 06:11 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,451,037 times
Yunno, I've just come off an absolutely BRUTAL week (and I apologize wherever I've been snippy), but it's been a week from Hell. Spent three days crying due to the actions of two native (and stupid) Arizonans. Oh well, easy enough to resolve. I give my notice in ten days and I just don't have anything to do with this other person.

Anyway, I've been asking myself...am I just doing a geographic because things aren't going well in my life? Then I hop over to the Oregon forum and no one is complaining. In this forum there are a LOT of people who hate it here, so I (we) must be onto something. I have been utterly miserable here literally from the first day I set foot in this town. Even though I feel like I've wasted the last three years of my life (oh why can't I just learn to trust my instincts?), I'm throwing in the towel.

Giving myself permission to just quit my job and leave this place makes me HAPPY (well, relieved, I still have to put up with this crap for another month), although I'll be much happier in mid-November.

The one thing I want to do here is eat at this little Chinese joint down the street. Then I will have done everything of value this **** city has to offer -which is nothing (other than Filibertos).

Oh, btw, I am sick of the rednecked crap, country music, big trucks, brown air, and everything else. I hate this conservative, bible-beltish, small town, strip mall mentality place! There, I feel better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona