U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-20-2006, 07:41 PM

10,010 posts, read 11,936,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
No, there is no excuse for that kind of stupidity. It didn't have to go that way. I can only conclude there is something in the water here. You think you'd find that cold heartedness in small town, Iowa? I don't think so. I come from the Midwest and there is seriously something wrong here. At least, in the Midwest, they'd have the brains to know they were being cold-hearted.

There is NO EXCUSE for that call. So, please, don't try to justify it. It is symptomatic of this place and the people who call this place home.

BTW, it wasn't "the system." It was the person. It was an individual call, which is why I cannot work there.
You need to move to Astoria Oregon ( I answered you about brookings forum) so you can be a happier person, I wasnt'nt trying to justify it, just make sense of it which I cant, stop with the sniping already ,I am not trying to be that way.

Old 10-20-2006, 07:46 PM

4,248 posts, read 6,538,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
You need to move to Astoria Oregon ( I answered you about brookings forum) so you can be a happier person, I wasnt'nt trying to justify it, just make sense of it which I cant, stop with the sniping already ,I am not trying to be that way.
I am not sniping at you, rather the defense of a horror that happened this week. I still don't know if this person is okay, or her others. It really bothers me. I would have taken them home, except that is not possible. I will always have an image in my mind, and it shouldn't have to be that way. You have no idea how much you come to relate to these people, and care about them. I know, maybe I should not be in this profession, but if there were competent and smart leadership, it could really make a difference. There is neither. The consequences can be lethal.

And, okay, let's talk about Astoria. I've actually been there, but don't know it. Thanks.

Old 10-20-2006, 07:49 PM

you sound like a sensitive caring person and your job can be very hard from what you have said, I have worked with children with downs syndrome so I can relate to what you said about caring for them. Look in to Astoria I think it has what you are looking for, a real sense of community and friendship. And no I dont work for their Chamber either!! Just been there alot and know it.

Old 10-20-2006, 08:04 PM

Quote:
you sound like a sensitive caring person and your job can be very hard from what you have said, I have worked with children with downs syndrome so I can relate to what you said about caring for them. Look in to Astoria I think it has what you are looking for, a real sense of community and friendship. And no I dont work for their Chamber either!! Just been there alot and know it.
Thanks. Well, to me Astoria is kind of the end of the world. I've been there, on the beach, but don't know much about it. Perhaps I should post this in the Oregon forum. Thanks for relating to me. Downs children are special. Actually, all kids are special. I've just had a tough week but will regroup over the weekend. It doesn't mean I have to continue working for idiots, but I will give a proper two weeks notice and uphold my end of the deal, before I leave. Still, I wonder about that person. Maybe I will find something out before I leave. Normally, I don't get so attached to a situation, except that it is so heart wrenching, and was mishandled. Thanks

Old 10-21-2006, 06:37 AM

4,424 posts, read 4,963,898 times
Ah! Arizona! I read alot of negative stuff in this thread about Phoenix. I have to say all cities suck, not just Phoenix. The suburbs around Phoenix are strange as in all suburbs. The country in Arizona is great! Anyone ever been to Snowflake/Taylor area? Is it just me or do all Mormons look the same?

Old 10-21-2006, 09:15 AM

437 posts, read 47,948 times
movin'on,

I think I can relate. I worked with DD kids & adults. Have experience with Downs, handicaps, autism, etc.

I finally had to move on (sorry, no pun intended). The low pay didn't drive me out, the staff who were only in it for a paycheck did. I can say that many are good, dedicated people though.

You definitely get attached - sometimes too much. It's not a 'forget the place' when you're not there type of vocation.

I hope things resolve for the better in your life and employ.

Old 10-21-2006, 10:34 AM

1,530 posts, read 2,343,333 times
Quote:
Born and raised in oregon, it has it's own set of issues, school funding and closings, teacher strikes, 9 months of rain, serious meth issues in SE Portland, high taxes ,high cost of housing, high unemployment rate, crazy urban growth boundaries so housing is on top of each other even more so than here, terrible highway system like the 105 and 405 coming out of Vancover not to mention the hell on 26 and 217!! Not enough roads but they will not build more that would be called growing,one of the dirtiest rivers in america the Willamette, yes we have that honor, because sewage drops into it and people dump their garbage in it.. Not heaven there either. They are not compalining because there are good things there as well and most people would rather focus on the good such as a walkable downtown with umbrella!lol and waterfront, beaches, trees, mountains (although they could erupt), skiing, great camping, and yes horrible politians that only think of themselves (but which one doesnt). Most people there were born and raised, the ones complaining are from California, true Oregonians really dont like them coming in. People here really dislike whats going on here they need to do something about come this next election and get involved.
that sounds so nasty but you find most of that here too. only 7 months of unbearable heat instead of rain. like i say you can always warm up but you cant get cold enough. and we dont have the willamette here (im in yuma mind you) but we have a nasty lake called martinez and the wonderful horribly polluted lake of salton sea that smells awful you can even smell it all the way here. so things are not perfect anywhere i guess

Old 10-21-2006, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
that sounds so nasty but you find most of that here too. only 7 months of unbearable heat instead of rain. like i say you can always warm up but you cant get cold enough. and we dont have the willamette here (im in yuma mind you) but we have a nasty lake called martinez and the wonderful horribly polluted lake of salton sea that smells awful you can even smell it all the way here. so things are not perfect anywhere i guess
No oregon isnt nasty at all, but It does have it's own set of issues, I dont find the weather here it isnt unbearable, it has been perfect here for a over a month now, it started getting cold and rainy in oregon two months ago, and will be until may it does have sun but it also rains 250 days a year there. Oregon has alot of good points but is geography enough?

Old 10-22-2006, 01:51 PM

Quote:
No oregon isnt nasty at all, but It does have it's own set of issues, I dont find the weather here it isnt unbearable, it has been perfect here for a over a month now, it started getting cold and rainy in oregon two months ago, and will be until may it does have sun but it also rains 250 days a year there. Oregon has alot of good points but is geography enough?
I think both geography and weather are important. There is no place more beautiful that the Oregon coast. I guess natural beauty ranks way high up there for me. I am considering OR or WA state, but can't make up my mind. My favorite is CA, but it won't support the kind of lifestyle I want.

Old 10-22-2006, 02:19 PM

84 posts, read 57,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaGail View Post
Arizona is a great place to live. Outdoor living 8 months of the year out shadows any of the negatives about hot summers.
I must insist that that is not right if you are older. I have already heard people here say they limit their outdoor activity to mild gardening and such. There have been times out here where it has been advised that elderly people limit outdoor activity because the heat is dangerous. That would be like anyone saying that they like something else but they never do it. That is such a bogus statement. Even when I was in my twenties and working outside every day as a construction worker I would NEVER say I liked the heat. Just a price you pay for the winters. I can't believe people say they like the heat. People actually like being hot and sweaty and so forth? Exercising is one thing and getting hot and sweaty. Heat is another. But whatever you say. I can't hardly believe it but you are entitled to say that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona