Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 06:25 AM

702 posts, read 3,152,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZChris1102 View Post
In my opinion, Chandler, Arizona is amazing. The architecture is great, the schools in the district are excelling in the state, and everyone is friendly. Here you have where your rich costum houses blend with your neighborhood homes, and everyone just combines. Its a really small area that is growing rapidly. It doesnt look too deserty with more palm trees flourishing than cacti. You should definitely visit before you move though. All you need to worry about is the 2 months of heat. Besides that the weather stays REALLY NICE.
2 months??? Must be a different Chandler than we are thinking about. Maybe there are two different Chandlers? One near Phoenix and one up north somewhere?

Last edited by azloafer; 10-08-2006 at 06:26 AM.. Reason: grammer

Old 10-08-2006, 11:19 AM

113 posts, read 524,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post

2 months??? Must be a different Chandler than we are thinking about. Maybe there are two different Chandlers? One near Phoenix and one up north somewhere?
I think some here may have a different definition of "the heat." It bothers some more than others. I agree with AZChris about 2 months of high heat, it bothers me most when there is some humidity involved. Other than that, no problem. Its all realitive.

Old 10-08-2006, 11:29 AM

57 posts, read 204,821 times
8 months of HEAT. It's still in the 90's here and you'll proabaly still have the refrigeration on for Thanksgiving liek we did last year. Oh and about Chandler.. still watch out for the shootings. They had 2 there last week. Read the Arizona Republic online before you commit to the 3rd most violent area in the US of A.

Old 10-08-2006, 11:37 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
I'll go along with the 8 months of heat - it's hot by most people's standards from roughly Easter to Halloween. As far as crime, that is a bunch of hooey. Anyone who thinks PHX area is among the most dangerous cities in America hasn't been around much. I'm not talking about someone stealing your bike from your garage or stuff from your car. I mean the risk of being a victim of a violent crime. In 2004, Chandler was 287th in cities over 100K with a violent crime rate 3/4 national average. Gilbert AZ, frequently touted on this site,had a rate 1/4 the national average making it one of the safest places you can live regardless of size.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 10-08-2006 at 11:49 AM..

Old 10-08-2006, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I'll go along with the 8 months of heat - it's hot by most people's standards from roughly Easter to Halloween. As far as crime, that is a bunch of hooey. Anyone who thinks PHX area is among the most dangerous cities in America hasn't been around much. I'm not talking about someone stealing your bike from your garage or stuff from your car. I mean the risk of being a victim of a violent crime. In 2004, Chandler was 287th in cities over 100K with a violent crime rate 3/4 national average. Gilbert AZ, frequently touted on this site,had a rate 1/4 the national average making it one of the safest places you can live regardless of size.
Definately agreed on this post, except about the 8 months of heat. The crime thing here is waay overblown.

One comment on the heat, and a general one not specifically directed to anyone; This is the Sonoran desert, and for anyone to move here and not expect the heat is just plain stupidity. Simple research if you dont know. Took me all of 5 seconds to find the average highs in the Valley. I just cant take habitual complaints about the heat seriously. Its like grabbing a Cholla and not expecting pain.

Old 10-08-2006, 12:30 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,450,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrider View Post
Definately agreed on this post, except about the 8 months of heat. The crime thing here is waay overblown.

One comment on the heat, and a general one not specifically directed to anyone; This is the Sonoran desert, and for anyone to move here and not expect the heat is just plain stupidity. Simple research if you dont know. Took me all of 5 seconds to find the average highs in the Valley. I just cant take habitual complaints about the heat seriously. Its like grabbing a Cholla and not expecting pain.

Two months of heat? Geez, Louise. Look, I hail from the Midwest, Minnesota, to be precise. Minnesota must be the coldest place in this country. I get so tired of people thinking that just because I'm from there I am used to cold. I used to stand in front of my heating vent and turn the thermostat up to 100. Truth is, it starts getting really hot here in May. There's a cumulative effect. By now, in October, I notice I turn the air down continually. I can only stand so much of the heat. To be fair, this place is a nightmare from June through September, which is 4 months. And this is coming from a person who puts on sweaters in my workplace. Oh, I suppose I should explain this. I can handle heat. Perfect temps for me are around 75 degrees. Still, everyone else freaks out here and sets it lower. Nonetheless, it's really hot here and the heat is cumulative. I try to keep my house at 80 and it's ok. So, IOW, if I have a problem with the heat, you can be sure it's a HUGE problem.

eta: And FWIW, if I am not mistaken, and I may be mistaken, Azrider, you come from Nebraska? I may have you confused with an Ohian (or however you spell it, someone who comes from Ohio). At any rate, I am not surprised you'd find this place interesting. I've been through Nebraska. There's nothing there. And, in the off chance you are from Ohio, the same comment is applicable, there is nothing there. So, it's no surprise you defend the virtues of this hellhole, as you know not better.

Last edited by movin'on; 10-08-2006 at 12:55 PM..

Old 10-08-2006, 01:02 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,471,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZChris1102 View Post
In my opinion, Chandler, Arizona is amazing. The architecture is great, the schools in the district are excelling in the state, and everyone is friendly. Here you have where your rich costum houses blend with your neighborhood homes, and everyone just combines. Its a really small area that is growing rapidly. It doesnt look too deserty with more palm trees flourishing than cacti. You should definitely visit before you move though. All you need to worry about is the 2 months of heat. Besides that the weather stays REALLY NICE.

I'm not be rude or funny but how long have you lived here? Architecture in Chandler? Everyone is friendly? Everyone combines? Chandler is a really small area? Two months of heat? I think you should venture out a little more in Chandler.

Old 10-08-2006, 01:05 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,471,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post

That's what I'm thinking, Is there a small town where everyone is nice and fits in called Chandler? Maybe there is. Does anyone know any other Chandler besides the Phoenix suburb?

Old 10-08-2006, 01:13 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,450,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
I'm not be rude or funny but how long have you lived here? Architecture in Chandler? Everyone is friendly? Everyone combines? Chandler is a really small area? Two months of heat? I think you should venture out a little more in Chandler.
Yeah, these people with the two months of heat really crack me up. Look, I hate cold and wear sweaters at work due to the AC, and even I know there are more than two months of heat. There has to be a reason they turn that thermoset down. Architecture? Oh Good Lord. Friendly? I have yet to make one friend (real, true friend) here and I've been here three years.

Old 10-08-2006, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Two months of heat? Geez, Louise. Look, I hail from the Midwest, Minnesota, to be precise. Minnesota must be the coldest place in this country. I get so tired of people thinking that just because I'm from there I am used to cold. I used to stand in front of my heating vent and turn the thermostat up to 100. Truth is, it starts getting really hot here in May. There's a cumulative effect. By now, in October, I notice I turn the air down continually. I can only stand so much of the heat. To be fair, this place is a nightmare from June through September, which is 4 months. And this is coming from a person who puts on sweaters in my workplace. Oh, I suppose I should explain this. I can handle heat. Perfect temps for me are around 75 degrees. Still, everyone else freaks out here and sets it lower. Nonetheless, it's really hot here and the heat is cumulative. I try to keep my house at 80 and it's ok. So, IOW, if I have a problem with the heat, you can be sure it's a HUGE problem.

eta: And FWIW, if I am not mistaken, and I may be mistaken, Azrider, you come from Nebraska? I may have you confused with an Ohian (or however you spell it, someone who comes from Ohio). At any rate, I am not surprised you'd find this place interesting. I've been through Nebraska. There's nothing there. And, in the off chance you are from Ohio, the same comment is applicable, there is nothing there. So, it's no surprise you defend the virtues of this hellhole, as you know not better.

I am from Ohio, and no there is nothing there. I used to loathe the freezing weather there for 8 months. Four seasons? Hah. The seasons there were cold, freezing, arctic, and humid. Here, its mild and hot. The heat hardly bothers me at all, except for maybe 2 months of it, and that is why I agree with the post above. I personally dont think it is the "nightmare" that many say it is. If it is, then living in the freezing cold 8 months of the year is a nightmare too. I agree, here it is above 90 for 8 months. Again, this is the desert, and I expected the heat when I got here. Ill take it any day over the freezing cold back east.

Quote:
At any rate, I am not surprised you'd find this place interesting.
I do find it interesting, anything is a step up from Ohio, all things considered. The "lack of an urban downtown" does not bother me as it does many on this forum. Phoenix is what it is, and it takes a certain taste to live here, as it does anywhere. If it doesnt have what you need to enjoy it, then there is no sense staying here. I moved here for the outdoors experience, the weather, the desert, and a job opportunity. Being within hours of Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, San Diego, etc, also was a desirable factor for me. Also, being able to take 10 day trips into the awesome wilderness here was a plus (my absolute favourite). I have visited many other cities too, and there are several others I would like living in. I just liked Phoenix the best 5 years ago, and still do today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona