Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 06:23 PM

416 posts, read 2,509,929 times

Advertisements

I think this is the most rediculous protest I have seen. I never was able to leave campus during lunch when I was in school - life was fine going to a school cafe. I hope parents are not supporting this. Students leaving for lunch means more traffic and accidents. That's my opinion.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/peoria/articles/0517campus0518-ON.html (broken link)

Old 05-17-2007, 06:33 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,603,649 times
Quote:
Students leaving for lunch means more traffic and accidents.
Agreed!! When I was in Highschool we could leave (grad 1991). But it was only seniors who has a 3.0 average or seniors who has a modified schedule (they were ahead on credits so they had only 3-4 classes).

I think they changed their policies when some students died in an accident. So unless the student is on a shortened schedule they need to stay.

Old 05-17-2007, 06:47 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,693,098 times
When I was in high school, we were allowed to leave for lunch but had to be back before the 2nd bell. I honestly think they should be able to leave.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:54 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
I think they should be able to leave too, but holding a protest is about as gay as it gets.

Old 05-17-2007, 11:05 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,296,034 times
Great, one more thing for me to worry about when my daughter is in High School...

I'm going to put a GPS thingy on her car so I will know where she is, not only because I am concerned about her judgement but about others who might prey on her, they even have them that are inside of Tennis shoes now

Old 05-18-2007, 03:55 AM

805 posts, read 2,000,361 times
I attended a Peoria School. Graduated only a few years ago. I am sure that these students now juniors and seniors had looked forward to this added benefit of being an upperclassmen. And now they have that privelage taken away.

How else can they act on it? I personally think that they SHOULD be allowed to leave campus for lunch.

However, as far as I can remember, this is limited to Juniors and Seniors.

Old 05-18-2007, 04:02 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,296,034 times
I honestly don't mean to talk down to you, but I think if you had a child whose safety you were worried about, whose grades you were worried about, you might feel differently...

The school I attended only had classes from 7;15 TO NOON, during that time, you had to have a pass to be in the hall that was pink, if you wanted to go to your car because you forgot something you had to have a blue pass, if you were leaving campus because you were sick or because you had a doctors appt. or something like that then you got a yellow pass...

Old 05-18-2007, 05:26 AM

2,852 posts, read 6,482,898 times
Children of any age should not be allowed to leave the campus until the end of the school day unless it is for a necessary appointment. How many children have been abducted when they were supposed to have been at school and nobody knew they were missing until they didn't arrive home as expected? How many teen pregnancies have been conceived during the lunch hour? How much drugs or alcohol are consumed within the parental home during the lunch hour while the parents are at work? What about those kids who are inclined to commit criminal offenses, such as breaking and entering and burglary? Any child NOT in school at lunch time when such offenses are committed is a viable suspect. The list of possible dangers and troubles could go on and on.

Parents have enough worries when it comes to raising their kids safely. They shouldn't have to sit at work wondering and worrying if their children are safe when they SHOULD be at school.

Last edited by Cyanna; 05-18-2007 at 05:28 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-18-2007, 08:06 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,162,378 times
I was able to leave for lunch when I was a senior, but it didn't really pertain to me as I had a half day schedule anyway. Nowadays I don't think they should be allowed to leave as the lunch hour is too short to go out. I'm sure the neighborhoods around schools that let out would love them to close the campus due to students racing back to school so they're not late. I don't even think kids should get their license until they're 18 (unless it's absolutely necessary). I think there are a lot of accidents during the lunch hour, or at the very least maniac students driving back to campus.

I think the students should work their butts off during the first 3 years and be able to have a half day senior year. However, I know that they have increased the required credits to graduate since I graduted, so that will be more difficult.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:28 AM

4,273 posts, read 15,250,116 times
I see both sides. I graduated in 1996 and lived in a big suburban town near Houston. We were never allowed to go off campus for lunch but there wasn't anything close enough that wasn't at least a 10 min drive.

My husband grew up in rural TX and went to a small school, only 80 in his graduating class, and he said that seniors with good behaviour and GPA had a lot of freedom. They were able to go off campus but they could only walk and there were a couple of fast food places just nearby.

I don't have any prob with letting the kids out but letting the WHOLE school out would probably do more harm than good. Maybe the school can use this as a way to keep grades up and truancy low. In the grand scheme of things, yeah, I think it's asinine that they are protesting about this but hey, their kids, what else are they going to be passionate about?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona