Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 12:07 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,820,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinaJo76 View Post
NOT!! it gets just as cold. You must not have been to Northern Arizona during the winter. It sucks and it's too damn cold.
If you think Northern AZ gets just as cold as Minnesota in the winter, you are seriously misinformed. For example, it's 18F in Ada, Minnesota (first town listed alphabetically by weather.com) right now, and 59F in Kingman.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:12 PM

533 posts, read 1,461,418 times
Quote:
I totally agree with you on that. It's far from being a "happy" state. Most of the folks here are arrogant, self-centered, uptight about everything, and are unfriendly. Not to mention, untrustworthy and dishonest (well, most of them, not all).

Compared to back home in Texas, people back home are friendlier and nicer. And I've lived in Arizona for 8 years now and experienced this everywhere in Arizona. Sorry, just voicing ones opinion.

MOST people are untrustworthy? They're all arrogant, self-centered and uptight? Unfriendly?

Where are all these people? Since I've moved here the majority of people I've encountered (in person, certainly not on these forums!) have been the opposite of what you describe.

Moderator cut: rude
Something to consider. Set yourself up for healthy, positive encounters and you might be amazed at the level of people who respond.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-18-2009 at 12:26 PM..

Old 12-18-2009, 12:44 PM

219 posts, read 570,459 times
Quote:
NOT!! it gets just as cold. You must not have been to Northern Arizona during the winter. It sucks and it's too damn cold.
Wow. Having a bad day, are we?
kdog is spot on in the temperature department. We're heading into a 2 month period with regular daytime highs in single digits and teens.
FYI, I HAVE been to the Prescott area in the winter and I found it rather pleasant.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:53 PM

329 posts, read 1,275,965 times
Quote:
I totally agree with you on that. It's far from being a "happy" state. Most of the folks here are arrogant, self-centered, uptight about everything, and are unfriendly. Not to mention, untrustworthy and dishonest (well, most of them, not all).

Compared to back home in Texas, people back home are friendlier and nicer. And I've lived in Arizona for 8 years now and experienced this everywhere in Arizona. Sorry, just voicing ones opinion.
Wow, it seems you have had quite the bad experience with people here. I have lived in 6 different states (corporate moves) and generally find that folks are nice almost everywhere. I have found folks in AZ to be quite nice, open, honest and welcoming. It boils down to the fact that you get pretty much what you give.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:20 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,820,641 times
Quote:
Most of the folks here are arrogant, self-centered, uptight about everything, and are unfriendly. Not to mention, untrustworthy and dishonest (well, most of them, not all).
Most folks who would make a comment like this are fundamentally unhappy people who need to blame others for their shortcomings. (well, most of them, not all).

Old 12-18-2009, 05:31 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,664,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick St John View Post
Makes perfect sense to me.
Arizona residents wake up every morning realizing they're not in Minnesota.
Would certainly make me happy.
Moderator cut: argumentative and rude to many
Can you make yourself yet even happier when you realize you aren't in Afghanistan? Wow!! I'm almost jumping out of my skin now!!!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-18-2009 at 05:53 PM..

Old 12-18-2009, 05:50 PM

Moderator cut: orphaned quote
Moderator cut: argumentative, rude, and off topic How about talking about what you love about where you live, and try to do it without referencing the fact that you no longer have to scrape ice from your windshield. This is much harder to do for the average Phoenician. Not to mention the study is based on people who "say" they are happy. This place is the CAPITAL of people saying they are happy, and as I said, I don't know of many TRULY happy people that are constantly saying they are happy. Think about that one... it make me laugh out loud.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:57 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmist View Post
Moderator cut: orphaned quote How about talking about what you love about where you live, and try to do it without referencing the fact that you no longer have to scrape ice from your windshield. This is much harder to do for the average Phoenician. Not to mention the study is based on people who "say" they are happy. This place is the CAPITAL of people saying they are happy, and as I said, I don't know of many TRULY happy people that are constantly saying they are happy. Think about that one... it make me laugh out loud.
What is that old saying ...a skunk smells it's own ____ first. Yes many people manage to be happy in other weather conditions. For some it grows old, and unless you have done it repeatedly year after year and can understand what they say...shush up. I didn't like it and we were lucky enough to move with a job earlier than what we expected. Now turn it around and you hate the heat, people, everything with where you live. You chose to live there and made your bed. Don't put other people down that are happy from where they moved to stroke your unhappiness. And you know... the average Phoenician came from somewhere else at this point so they understand totally. I did talk about where I live now, going out in 40 degrees to drink my coffee and being warm versus there. Yes, that is where I came from and I will compare to stroke my decision to move here...too bad you can't do the same

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-18-2009 at 08:52 PM..

Old 12-18-2009, 05:59 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
Let's put it this way, I have to calm down when I go to LA or Texas because I feel like I can joke around with almost anyone here in public. Part of the reason I love to practice medicine in Arizona is because I can get away with joking around with my patients. It's so easy to make people laugh here. And everyone is from some place else so for me, it's a blast to make fun of someone's football team or weather and they give it to me back in full force.

I do think the weather, being near the West Coast and the attitude is infectious and people who are otherwise uptight, chill out when they move here especially people from the East Coast. I see that all the time. When I leave Arizona, I have to remember that people are not as open and friendly like they are here. I've been accused of being too happy at times when I leave Arizona but here, people are so laid back and GENUINE at the same time.

In Oklahoma and Texas, I personally felt like people were fake friendly and didn't really care about you but that was just my experience and not a fact. Here, people are honest enough to have fun but be straight with you at the same time. And I like how people respect everyone's privacy. I don't really want to know my neighbors. If I see them, I waive and smile but I don't want to invite them over and be best friends with them. If that makes me unfriendly so be it. I have enough friends.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
What is that old saying ...a skunk smells it's own ____ first. Yes many people manage to be happy in other weather conditions. For some it grows old, and unless you have done it repeatedly year after year and can understand what they say...shush up. I didn't like it and we were lucky enough to move with a job earlier than what we expected. Now turn it around and you hate the heat, people, everything with where you live. You chose to live there and made your bed. Don't put other people down that are happy from where they moved to stroke your unhappiness. And you know... the average Phoenician came from somewhere else at this point so they understand totally. I did talk about where I live now, going out in 40 degrees to drink my coffee and being warm versus there. Yes, that is where I came from and I will compare to stroke my decision to move here...too bad you can't do the same
Unfortunately, I didn't choose to live here. My parents did and I've been stuck here ever since. I didn't like it from the youngest of ages, and it hasn't improved. If the only way I can be happy here is to go somewhere else and develop a deep hatred for snow and rain then return to kiss the desert sand in joy and find friends that relish a good conversation about weather bashing, I would know deep down I'm still not happy.

As this post is about the "happy" factor, some are happy when all they achieve is less snow. Some need more. There is a whole country out there to investigate without snow. This is the MOST extreme of those places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona