U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 01:38 PM

10,010 posts, read 12,230,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by linda54 View Post
you forgot to add that car insurance is almost double of what it is in other states due to high car theft rates/accidents here in AZ. Sales tax is higher than most states. Prices are higher for products. It is very expensive to live here. House prices are ridiculous. I live in Fountain Hills, only small suburb there is around here and rental rates are ridiculous, but the high school has a great reputation which is something we needed for my son. I wish I could go home to Illiniois where things are more reasonable, but my job is here.
Actually my husband just did a month there for his new job, we are leaving NC and he found sales tax is cheaper in AZ and so is the food in AZ, gas also, the only thing more expensive he saw was the houses as far as buying, rent is about the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2006, 05:27 PM

226 posts, read 751,555 times
I too live in AZ. We had 54,000 car thefts last year, we have 3,000 illegals crossing the border every DAY, it's 51% hispanic and a serial rapisit still on the loose. It is VERY expensive to live here. The houses are way over priced. I have a 1900 sq. foot, 4 bedroom home in Phoenix, and it's worth $390,000 (it's in a nice area). Taxes are about $1,400 a year. I believe in the next 5 years, Phoenix will turn into the next LA. We are looking into leaving within the next three year. Just starting to look at where we want to retire.

Good thing about AZ is that for a big city I think they do a nice job keeping it clean.

Good luck.

Old 10-01-2006, 06:18 PM

436 posts, read 74,914 times
I'm no Phoenix booster by any means, but $1400 for taxes on a $390K place is super - I pay that on a 220K, 1500SF place in Central AZ. We have few businesses to help moderate our tax rates.

You folks don't even want to know what my tax bill was when I was a NY homeowner!

Old 10-01-2006, 06:42 PM

2,295 posts, read 266,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_2 View Post
I'm no Phoenix booster by any means, but $1400 for taxes on a $390K place is super - I pay that on a 220K, 1500SF place in Central AZ. We have few businesses to help moderate our tax rates.

You folks don't even want to know what my tax bill was when I was a NY homeowner!
We don't take these cheap property taxes for granted here. We know we have a good thing.

Old 10-01-2006, 10:30 PM

4 posts, read 22,555 times
Unhappy NO dry heat???

You mean it's HUMID.......like wet and sticky?? Oh no.....I thought it was only dry heat and hot ....like the pizza oven in the pizza shops here.

Is it really that bad. I also hear swimming pools are plentyful out there. Can you use them in the extreem heat? Doesn't the water get like bath water from the sun beating down on it? Any thoughts on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer
The summer is HOT HOT HOT! You had better like heat. Most people go from their air conditioned house to their air conditioned car to an air conditioned place of work or an air conditioned mall in the summer. There is no DRY HEAT in the months of July and August! I have lived here for 20 years and am planning on retiring in a cooler climate; something at 5 or 6 thousand feet. Upper Arizona is too costly. I am looking in New Mexico because of the lower cost of living.

Last edited by Marka; 10-02-2006 at 01:19 AM.. Reason: repaired code

Old 10-01-2006, 11:28 PM

2,295 posts, read 266,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimrock View Post
You mean it's HUMID.......like wet and sticky?? Oh no.....I thought it was only dry heat and hot ....like the pizza oven in the pizza shops here.

Is it really that bad. I also hear swimming pools are plentyful out there. Can you use them in the extreem heat? Doesn't the water get like bath water from the sun beating down on it? Any thoughts on this?

The summer is HOT HOT HOT! You had better like heat. Most people go from their air conditioned house to their air conditioned car to an air conditioned place of work or an air conditioned mall in the summer. There is no DRY HEAT in the months of July and August! I have lived here for 20 years and am planning on retiring in a cooler climate; something at 5 or 6 thousand feet. Upper Arizona is too costly. I am looking in New Mexico because of the lower cost of living.
[/quote]

My pool gets like bathwater in the Summer but I like it. I can be in the pool in 120 and feel just fine. I also don't swim until June and I don't swim after mid Sept, I get too cold.

Old 10-02-2006, 06:10 AM

12 posts, read 25,256 times
I have been reading all of these threads for awhile now. I have to make a comment. I use to live in Mesa, Arizona about 20 years ago. I loved it there and I am planning on moving back there next summer. I love everything about it but I am sure it has changed a lot in 20 years. I will be taking a vacation there before I move back. But I was going to make a comment on the taxes. Here in Texas, you can get a 3 bedroom, two bathroom house at 1455 square foot for $100,000 but the water bill is usually around 50 dollars and that is if you don't use any water that month. The electric bill is at least $300.00 for this small house. That is if you keep it on 80 degrees in the summer which is hot for here because of the humidity is so high. Property taxes go up every 6 months and mine are about $3,000 right now. Does that sound expensive to you guys who live in Arizona? Gasoline prices are 2.15 but Dallas is 2.09. I live in North Texas.

Old 10-02-2006, 06:12 AM

12 posts, read 25,256 times
Also, when we use to live in Mesa, I went swimming in May and I did not stop swimming until October.

Old 10-02-2006, 07:51 AM

17,573 posts, read 20,896,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali View Post
I have been reading all of these threads for awhile now. I have to make a comment. I use to live in Mesa, Arizona about 20 years ago. I loved it there and I am planning on moving back there next summer. I love everything about it but I am sure it has changed a lot in 20 years. I will be taking a vacation there before I move back. But I was going to make a comment on the taxes. Here in Texas, you can get a 3 bedroom, two bathroom house at 1455 square foot for $100,000 but the water bill is usually around 50 dollars and that is if you don't use any water that month. The electric bill is at least $300.00 for this small house. That is if you keep it on 80 degrees in the summer which is hot for here because of the humidity is so high. Property taxes go up every 6 months and mine are about $3,000 right now. Does that sound expensive to you guys who live in Arizona? Gasoline prices are 2.15 but Dallas is 2.09. I live in North Texas.
Many want out because it has changed so much, but fundamentally little has changed. What was here 20 years ago has just replicated itself over and over. Parts of Mesa you lived in you wouldn't want to live in now. But there are newer subdivisions that look pretty much like the older ones where you would find the same things as 20 years back. The big change is the number of people. For me, that is the part I hate. Everything has become congested and crowded, it seems. Aside from that, the backyard pool, patio, mall-hopping, camping in the mountains, drive everywhere lifestyle goes on unchanged. The crime is worse statistically, they say, but your odds of getting mugged or something are as low as they ever were in the burbs and the odds of getting your house burglarized while you are away for the weekend are just as bad as 20 years ago. If you can stand all the people and the distance you have to drive to get somewhere, you will feel back at home.

Old 10-02-2006, 07:57 AM

17,573 posts, read 20,896,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimrock View Post

My take on the heat (the number 2 reason I am looking to move out) is not the 115-120 temps or even the humidity in the summer, which is nothing like MO, TX, NC etc. It's the unrelenting nature of it. I see posts where people in other states complain of 6 weeks of heat without a break this year. Here, it is 6-7 MONTHS without a break. There is never a cold front, never a cloudy day from Easter to Halloween and temps are regularly over 100 degrees the entire period. The suns beats down mercilessly day after day after day. In summer, if you are lucky you get a thunderstorm at your house a couple times a month in July, August, early Sep. And maybe it will be cloudy for a couple hours in the morning. But the sun comes out and the heat comes back. At night it cools down 20 or more degrees. But when you start from 115 that's only 95. It was 106 in my backyard yesterday. It will cool to 96 or so this week they say. It will finally stay below 90 in early November.

On the pool, it gets to about 88-90 in the summer. I have a spa and it overheats and won't run on summer days - without the heater being on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona