Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 02:36 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,864,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
YUMA, AZ.

I've browsed through most of the old threads...I found generally two female posters who are incredibly unhappy with the city. Their posts seem to fill up most of the threads with this overwhelming 'negative vibe' for the city.

But, scattered all around those two posters...there seems to be quite a bit 'its not too bad'.

So, I thought I'd try to convey what I perceive the city might be like...and if it would be a fit or not.

#1) Sounds small, easy to get around...commute time is low.

This is true, commute time is low.

#2) People who are into shopping or fine dining don't like it. Not a problem for me, I'm not into shopping or fine dining.

You have your usual department stores. Walmart, Kohl's, Old Navy, Target, Best Buy. You have your usual restaurants as well like Applebee's.

#3) Lots of dune buggies and desert stuff to do. Sounds great to me.

The sand dunes are kinda cool.

#4) I can't figure out the 'nightlife', not that it matters to me anyways as I'm married. But sounds like the city is 'boring'...but there are tons of local bars all over the place, and lots of young people...PROBABLY military single people or military families, I guess? Seems like both 'young people in the bars' and 'boring' seem to come up quite a bit for Yuma.

There are very young people (i.e: 18-20 year old newly enlisted military personnel), but if you are between the ages of 25-35, this place is boring as heck.

#5) Job situation sucks. Actually, the only reason I'm considering YUMA is because of a job opportunity...so I'll apply, and if I get it, I'd then decide to go...so wouldn't be going there without anything anyways.

Are you a teacher? Just to let you know that is not uncommon for schools to just fire teachers on a whim for no reason to avoid paying unemployment benefits. This happened to myself and six of my coworkers. I ended up winning my unemployment though.

#6) Large military presense - mostly marines? What are the implications of that? Does that mean most of the non-MexicanAmerican population is almost always military-related? Are there tons of military families about everywhere...military haircuts as well on most people...is that basically what that means?

I didn't really see military families everywhere. I would frequently go to Walmart on Saturday. I was one of the few people in the store that didn't speak Spanish.

#7) Middle of nowhere. It does seem like Yuma is THE place between San Diego & Phoenix. By the way, why would people drive to Phoenix over S.D. given a choice? San Diego is LOVELY! Some people drive to Phoenix to go to night clubs or spend the day shopping.I've been to both of those cities, and SD is by far the more interesting one. I was kind of surprised how many posters seemed to not like Yuma so would go to Phoenix on weekends or visits? Some of us just enjoyed the big city and wanted different scenery.Why?
My comments are in bold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 09:04 AM

1 posts, read 3,237 times
I have been living in Yuma for 2 years now and its not that bad. I've read the other posts on other threads about all the negativity. The thing is if you move somewhere and expect to be miserable then of course you will be. My guess is those other posters from the other threads are just miserable people who most likely suck at life and can't be happy no matter where they live.
now that i'm done ranting about that here is my opinion. the commute is low which is nice.
i love to shop and don't have any issues with the stores around here. I see stores were listed by another poster. There is also a Dillards here and a JC Penny. But there are some locally owned cute stores like Cheeky Boutique which i love. some of it is a bit expensive but its super cute.
I've never been to the sand dunes but my hubby has and everyone seems to love it and have lots of fun there.
I can't say much for the nightlife. I've been to a bar in the Foothills (which is just a few miles from us) and to the Yuma Fun Factory. The Fun Factory is a place that's family friendly by day and adult friendly by night. bumper boats, go karts, mini golf, and an arcade. But they also have a large bar inside which is why it becomes adult only after like 10pm. its a fun place.
There is a lot of military here. My husband is a marine and is stationed here which is the only reason why we live here. even without counting the military there are still a lot of non-mexicanamerican people that live here. But if you can speak any spanish at all it will help you. I can't even count how many times i've gone into a store and have been ignored b/c i'm not mexican or i don't speak spanish. it gets frustrating but then i just act as rude as they do and eventually i get my question answered. I hate doing that but sometimes its the only way to get any help b/c most of the employees are mexican.
We drive out to San Diego quite a bit and love it! We have young children so we go there for all the family attractions.
If you like camping then that's another big thing around here. After moving here we bought an RV and love it! There are so many wonderful and beautiful parts are Arizona that we never would have discovered if we hadn't started going camping.
Overall, Yuma is fine. its what you make of it. Not every town is going to be over flowing with great stores and places to eat and lots of attractions. But that's why its so great that we live so close to bigger cities for day trips. I don't mind it here hot weather and all. if you do move here put some misters up on your back porch and get a pool- even if its just a blow up one. in the evenings sit and relax in it with a nice cool drink and enjoy the beautiful mountain views. GL on your job.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:11 PM

24 posts, read 53,388 times
the only thing i hate about Yuma is the HEAT during the summer. I am now in Oklahoma. Also at the fact that it's growing. 2 walmarts, and a bunch of Circle K's. I am sure several fast food restaurants. I have a good friend that still lives in town and she keeps me updated on how Yuma is doing.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:30 PM

455 posts, read 1,499,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessisokieforever View Post
the only thing i hate about Yuma is the HEAT during the summer. I am now in Oklahoma. Also at the fact that it's growing. 2 walmarts, and a bunch of Circle K's. I am sure several fast food restaurants. I have a good friend that still lives in town and she keeps me updated on how Yuma is doing.
Make that 3 walmarts!

curly

Old 01-21-2010, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly5759 View Post
Make that 3 walmarts!

curly
Your kidding? where is this 3rd one?

Old 01-21-2010, 06:53 PM

The original one on Pacific, #2 on Ave B, #3 is on Highway 80 (32nd st) out near Exit 9 of the interstate.

Curly

Old 01-21-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curly5759 View Post
The original one on Pacific, #2 on Ave B, #3 is on Highway 80 (32nd st) out near Exit 9 of the interstate.

Curly
holy cow! why does yuma need 3 walmarts?

Old 01-22-2010, 04:16 PM

24,462 posts, read 25,995,249 times
Walmart.com - Store Finder Results

Old 01-23-2010, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessisokieforever View Post
holy cow! why does yuma need 3 walmarts?
Growth and lots of it. If you haven't been here since 96, you would not believe the changes.
The paper last week had an article stating Yuma is the #3 metro area in Arizona, and still growing.
Read the article here (Yuma Daily Sun) :http://www.yumasun.com/opinion/area-...community.html

Curly

Old 01-23-2010, 02:18 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,943,383 times
yuma is not growing its actually in the negitive right now for growth and has been for a while. there is no new growth at all. so many businesses are gone. we dont need 3 walmarts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona