Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 05:48 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichoptops View Post
Anyone can be required to clock in and out, all the timeclock is a resource to keep track of time. Could be for billing clients, could be for cost/product annalasys, there are MANY reasons for it being required. If you are putting in the hours and doing your job as required, whats the issue?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodBetty View Post
My former employer ,all employee's were required to use the time clock regarless of hourly or salary positions. This was a way to keep track of how many hours it took to run their store. Why worry about whether you have to clock in or out unless you are the typical person whom shows up late or leave early.
Makes perfect sense to me!

An honest, conscientious employee should have absolutely no issue with a time clock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 03:27 PM

57 posts, read 278,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Makes perfect sense to me!

An honest, conscientious employee should have absolutely no issue with a time clock.
It's kind of like photo radar. People that drive the speed limit don't seem to mind them as much

Funny story about timeclocks. I used to have my guys just fill them out by hand. Started noticing the lunch hours getting longer, but the billed hours staying the same. So, I put in a timeclock.After about a month, one of my guys gets his paycheck, walks up to me and actually says "I hate that timeclock, since you put it in I haven't got a 40 hour paycheck yet"

Are you kidding me?????

Old 04-26-2010, 05:34 PM

3 posts, read 8,897 times
This type of attitude creates an "hourly cookie cutter" attitude from your individuals that you require to have the brainpower and imaginatation to find the different ways to create efficiency and increase profit. It creates less of a goal orientated attitude and more of a "I was here pay me attitude". But you are right it is legal even though it will cost you in the long run.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,907 times
It is legal in AZ to have a salried professional to punch a timeclock. It assures the employer that the employee is putting in the hours that they are getting paid for and not rolling in late or leaving early. Furthermore, if the employee is salaried exempt, they are in our case physicians and upper management. This does not necessarily mean that the job is done at 40 hours. It is done when the patients are finished being seen and taken care of. Often times this means 50 plus hours a week.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:09 AM

That is exactly the case in this situation. I was upper level management in a company of approximately 100 employees, with approximately 15 salaried. I was directly behind the President and the VP. I only worked there for about 2 yrs. When I left that last post I was still with them, but I am no longer. I now work for the Federal Agency that regulates the industry they are in. I will be going back there to inspect for compliance as there are only four people that do what I do in the nation. I guess what I am trying to say is that I didn't like the situation I was in, therefore I kept my head up and went home updated my resume and found another job. Now they have to deal with me from another angle. The moral of this story is: Careful the toes you step on today may be attached to the butt you have to kiss tomorrow. P.S. I do not clock in or out in my new position and my office is my spare bedroom when I am not out performing audits.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:42 AM

I was also salaried exempt, and I was also putting in over 50 hours a week. One of the things that really set me off was that I was the Quality Assurance Manager and the VP was the acting Plant Manager. The QA Manual stated that whoever was in charge of production and whoever was in charge of QA were to be on the same level. In the industry that I am in QA is written into the law and is a legal requirement for the sake of safety. The VP had the capability in the system to edit his time and mine. When we were in a situation in which I refused to allow him to do something in the interest of safety, he would always make it a point to go into the system and shave off my time back to 40 hours. I brought this up to the Pres. and he of course took no action. At one point I was required to go with customers out to eat. I stayed on the clock and did so. When I checked my hours that time had been edited. The bottom line is if you want to keep valuable people, you have to treat them as though they are valuable. When I quit they did everything they could to keep me, even offering to no longer require me to clock in or out. They had installed monitoring software to monitor the computers, monitoring every keystroke. I disliked this system to say the least. Everything could be taken out of context. I researched rubber booties for personnel to ensure that interior coatings were not scratched when employees walked on them after they dried. This was misconstrued into something entirely different and I had to account for why I was researching this item. I was actually brought in to this organization because the Federal Agency (I now work for) had came in and levied fines in excess of 750,000 against them. I think it is poetic justice that I went to work for this Agency and now they don't have a buffer. As far as if you are honest and conscientious you should not have a problem with a time clock? If they don't trust you why don't they just get rid of you? If they do not trust me then why should I trust them? In the position I was in I was making sure that 750,000 in fines did not happen again. If this responsibility is completely in my hands and you pass several audits, that says I am doing my job. Leave me alone and let me do it.

Old 11-25-2010, 04:39 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,866,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichoptops View Post
I wouldnt see why it wouldnt be. Salaried just means you make X amount of money, the hours are a seperate issue.

I used to have salaried employees that had to punch a clock,,,, it was nothing more than making sure I had people coming to work and were giving me the time I was paying them for.
Pretty much this, where I work we would have people totally take advantage of a lax position by coming in an hour later, taking a long lunch and leaving an hour early or more. Once they made most of the Salary people clock in, most of them were already quitting. It was temporary to bust the slackers, and I see it coming real soon for the new crop of bums.

Old 11-25-2010, 05:38 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackpot View Post
Pretty much this, where I work we would have people totally take advantage of a lax position by coming in an hour later, taking a long lunch and leaving an hour early or more. Once they made most of the Salary people clock in, most of them were already quitting. It was temporary to bust the slackers, and I see it coming real soon for the new crop of bums.
Damn shame, isn't it, Crackpot?

Most often the slackers and goof offs are in the minority but, unfortunately, cause grief for the entire staff.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:21 AM

1 posts, read 2,094 times
As a salaried employee I do not feel you should have to clock in or out fr the mere reason that you have shown trust and dedication to the employer. If the employer has no trust in the people that has been placed in these slots then why put them there to begin with.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:19 AM

1,775 posts, read 6,355,517 times
My employer's US HQ is in NYC and I'm one of three employees they have in AZ. I'm salaried plus commission and I have to "approve" an online time card every two weeks. I think it's really only to keep track of vacation, sick, personal and floating holiday accruals. All the company cares about is my territory's revenue each month. I work from home, come and go as I please, but always have to be available to clients. They don't care if it's a weekend or late at night. And I often head out on business trips on Sundays so I'm already there when Monday business hours start. Nothing worse than getting off a plane and seeing 20-30 emails as soon as I turn my BB back on. I guess it all works out to be 40 hrs. per week, but it's be almost impossible to really track. That's why I got into commissioned sales - as long as I'm making the numbers, they leave me alone. And my goal in life is to be left alone. I'm seeing my boss in a few weeks for the second time this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona