Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 06:03 PM

112 posts, read 282,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Pondering a move to AZ...and in my investigations I cant believe how the price of food is so cheap.......Way Cheaper than North Carolina.... That;s a hot selling point...my mean my cabinets would stay full constantly due to the low prices.....LOL.
yeah i saw that too phoenix is amazing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 01:20 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,860,206 times
I can't say I see how drinking cheap milk is good for you or anything to brag about. The cheaper the milk the lower quality, the more hormones and antibiotics you ingest. You drink two gallons a week of non-organic milk and you are basically consuming huge amounts of estrogen which isn't good for men or women. Basing cost of groceries in an area purely on price of milk is ridiculous. Should be based on healthy foods like vegetables, fruits and lean meats & other proteins and high quality grains not cheap milk and cheap white bread both of which are not good to subsist on.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:20 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,228,154 times
Food in the Phoenix area is much cheaper than in Sedona. I buy mostly organic and eat pretty health (I primarily shop in the outside aisles and back of the store where the 'real' food is) and I don't eat much processed food. I find that I can save $1.00 to $1.50 per item which I come down to Phoenix....even Whole Foods is $1.50 cheaper for an organic english cucumber!

Trader Joe's is awesome for low prices. I can get almond milk there (which I use a lot of) for $1.99 and it's $2.79 - 3 something up here, even our sale prices up here never hit $1.99 anymore.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:34 AM

845 posts, read 2,327,440 times
1.57 milk was at Albertson's last week. They also had two pounds of cheese for 3.88=1.94 per pound. Skippy PB was 99 cents, as were 24 ounce loaves of good bread. Romaine lettuce was 2 bucks for three. Strawberries, nectarines, peaches, and asparagus are right around the corner.

The unhealthy foods tend to be priced more equally across the country (and World).

Old 01-24-2010, 01:07 PM

641 posts, read 2,366,491 times
Cheap ? No. We just got back from the store. We buy the same stuff every week pretty much. This week for a family of three was $180.00.
It keeps going up. Two years ago was $85.00 for the same stuff.

Six months ago $150, now $180!

We do not buy anything extravagant either.

Ama

Old 01-24-2010, 01:28 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,806,093 times
Looking at relocating to Arizona from North Carolina....and I can tell you speaking as a 1-Person household...the prices are definitely cheaper...As a 1 person household..i might could actually make it out there

Old 01-25-2010, 07:06 PM

824 posts, read 2,336,005 times
Quote:
"Gallon of Milk - $1.57
Boneless Skinless Breasts - $1.37"
I drink lots of skim milk, it helps keep me from eating like a ravenous wolf. It is cheaper on average than a few years ago in the Phoenix area. Expect to pay $2/gallon on average if you shop the sales circulars.

$1.37/lb was the lowest price for the chicken breasts in years. Expect to pay an average of $1.80-$2.00/lb on sale.

There are several grocery chains in PHX and they must compete, although fewer chains than in the '90s. I have shopped at a Food Lion in your neighboring state of Virginia and noticed few overall differences. The "regular" prices for stuff like cheese were actually lower.

Wal-Mart's competitive presence has also lowered grocery prices in most markets. I price-matched the Fry's milk and Safeway salad packs at WM. Sprouts and Fresh & Easy also have pretty reasonable prices without the chaotic environment of an enormous store.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:45 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Looking at relocating to Arizona from North Carolina....and I can tell you speaking as a 1-Person household...the prices are definitely cheaper...As a 1 person household..i might could actually make it out there
I agree, Westcoast . . .

It's been over twelve years now but when I relocated here from California, I was amazed at how much lower the basic food items were. I was expecting lower prices on real estate and taxes but soon realized just about everything was more affordable.

I soon learned it wasn't how much money I actually took home as much as how much money I had left-over after paying all my expenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona