U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 01-28-2010, 10:23 PM
 
Location: SE Arizona - FINALLY! :D
16,150 posts, read 14,212,672 times
Reputation: 4944

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
some day you, too, will be a geezer... if you're lucky
Yup - as the saying goes, growing old isn't so bad - especially when you consider the alternative.

Ken
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-29-2010, 09:15 AM
 
Location: Utopia
1,999 posts, read 6,630,568 times
Reputation: 1346
Hey, I AM a geezer, folks! That's what allows me to use the word "geezer."

I'm just trying to figure out why so many are in Arizona? And they appear to have chosen to move there, too, so is it the activities? the taxes? cost of living? what draws so many there?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2010, 10:20 AM
 
680 posts, read 1,746,500 times
Reputation: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
Hey, I AM a geezer, folks! That's what allows me to use the word "geezer."

I'm just trying to figure out why so many are in Arizona? And they appear to have chosen to move there, too, so is it the activities? the taxes? cost of living? what draws so many there?
I think the main reason geezers move here is a combination of the weather (look at the storm in the Midwest today) Senior activities at various valley centers, and the relatively low cost of housing.

altus2006
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2010, 02:38 PM
 
Location: Baja Arizona
2,916 posts, read 5,161,738 times
Reputation: 1086
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
Hey, I AM a geezer, folks! That's what allows me to use the word "geezer."
True.

Its the same with individual ethnic groups and how they refer to themselves rather graphically - yet others are not allowed to do so.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2010, 04:54 PM
 
Location: Utopia
1,999 posts, read 6,630,568 times
Reputation: 1346
Hey, you CAN call me a geezer. Do you think people can't tell I'm no spring chicken? Ha! I mean, realistically...makeup can only do so much for a gal....
I'm just thrilled I've lived this long, and hoping to make it another 30! I mean..think of the alternative....
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2010, 05:06 PM
 
Location: MT/35 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
1,468 posts, read 1,566,900 times
Reputation: 1811
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
As an old fart, I can say that we're moving there (eventually) because of the warm (but not too warm) climate. I looked at ALL the SouthWest states (except for California - which we figured to be too expensive) and Utah and New Mexico are too cold in the winter. Northern Nevada is too cold in the winter and Southern Nevada is too hot in the summer. SouthEast Arizona however is Just Right.

Ken
Hey Ken..................
From one 'ole geezer to another............how about sharing some of your insight and research about the area south of Benson? I'm thinking of selling my place up here (MT) and relocating to AZ.

I'm in my 8th decade and I don't want to make a mistake.
I have wintered in: the Sedona/Cottonwood area; Oro Valley area; Rimrock/Lake Montezuma area and have spent much less time in: Lake Havasu; Kingman; Flagstaff; Casa Grande; Phoenix; Tucson and Prescott.

I don't golf, but I am an active outdoor person and quail hunt with my constant companion (a fantastic Brittany who travels with me everywhere). I am not a 'city dweller' and need to find a place on the edge (or slightly out of town).
A town between 1500 to 7500 people (approx). Preferrably a one story (hate stairs) place on a couple of acres (or more), with decent landscaping (trees etc). Two BR; 2 Baths; a den or office; Liv Rm; dining area; kitchen; couple of porches or covered patios; 2 car garage. 1500 to 2500 sq feet (approx). Low maintence is a must. Not interested in any "fixer-uppers".

I'm not a "covered dish/pot luck" type person, but am a friendly, warm type person who makes friends easily.

The "mountain views" that all real estate folks constantly refer to, don't mean much to me since I've lived in CO & MT for the last 45 years in very close proximity (1/2 mile or less) to mountains.

I thank you in advance for opinions and comments that will help this 'ole Montana boy possibly find a suitable place.

oh yea....the area I was thinking about would possibly be bounded by Rt 191 on the east; I-19 on the west; I-10 on the north and the boarder on the south. I understand that area has somewhat more desireable weather than other area in southern AZ.

Carpe Diem!

Don
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2010, 06:50 PM
 
25,085 posts, read 8,905,783 times
Reputation: 41601
There are a lot of retirement communities in Arizona maybe that plus the gentle winters or a draw for seniors.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2010, 01:11 PM
 
Location: Anchored in Phoenix
1,782 posts, read 2,395,088 times
Reputation: 1363
Well I will be a geezer in fifteen years. Eventually you will be a geezer too. So have some respect or time will fly by so fast that you will be calling yourself a geezer.

There is no state income tax on U.S. treasuries and no income taxes on municipal bond income in Arizona. Lots of retired people have those investment vehicles.

Younger people are now getting into Roth IRAs and Roth 401ks. There are no taxes on the gains of Roth IRAs and Roth 401ks when you start taking distributions. No state income tax and no federal income tax.

So it does not matter what state you live in. It makes more sense when you think about it to live in a tax free state when you are young and earning income. So I would expect the average age in Alaska, Nevada, Wyoming, and the like to be lower than in high tax states.

BTW: I hope to retire to California. I will thumb my nose at the socialists because they won't be getting a dime of my investments when I retire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
What the heck is going on in Arizona that that State draws so many over 65 year olds? Heck, with the lack of tax in Nevada, I would think they would be there, but no! they are in Arizona. Check out this map:

http://blog.seniorcaremarketer.com/....8886d23970c-pi


Are there some tax breaks in Arizona that I'm missing? Or is someone giving a big party there for geezers and they all flocked there?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2010, 03:07 PM
 
Location: SE Arizona - FINALLY! :D
16,150 posts, read 14,212,672 times
Reputation: 4944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
Hey Ken..................
From one 'ole geezer to another............how about sharing some of your insight and research about the area south of Benson? I'm thinking of selling my place up here (MT) and relocating to AZ.

I'm in my 8th decade and I don't want to make a mistake.
I have wintered in: the Sedona/Cottonwood area; Oro Valley area; Rimrock/Lake Montezuma area and have spent much less time in: Lake Havasu; Kingman; Flagstaff; Casa Grande; Phoenix; Tucson and Prescott.

I don't golf, but I am an active outdoor person and quail hunt with my constant companion (a fantastic Brittany who travels with me everywhere). I am not a 'city dweller' and need to find a place on the edge (or slightly out of town).
A town between 1500 to 7500 people (approx). Preferrably a one story (hate stairs) place on a couple of acres (or more), with decent landscaping (trees etc). Two BR; 2 Baths; a den or office; Liv Rm; dining area; kitchen; couple of porches or covered patios; 2 car garage. 1500 to 2500 sq feet (approx). Low maintence is a must. Not interested in any "fixer-uppers".

I'm not a "covered dish/pot luck" type person, but am a friendly, warm type person who makes friends easily.

The "mountain views" that all real estate folks constantly refer to, don't mean much to me since I've lived in CO & MT for the last 45 years in very close proximity (1/2 mile or less) to mountains.

I thank you in advance for opinions and comments that will help this 'ole Montana boy possibly find a suitable place.

oh yea....the area I was thinking about would possibly be bounded by Rt 191 on the east; I-19 on the west; I-10 on the north and the boarder on the south. I understand that area has somewhat more desireable weather than other area in southern AZ.

Carpe Diem!

Don
Not a lot of towns in that area (it's a lot of empty space) - and I've not been through all of it. Patagonia is the most treed. It's pretty lush there, with significant trees around the town itself (most I've seen anywhere in SE Arizona) - and these are tall trees too, not just the 10 foot mesquite most commonly seen. It's really lovely there - but the town is REALLY SMALL (below your threshhold I would think -at least it seemed that way). Soniota too is pretty tiny and isolated feeling. Same with McNeal and Sunizona.

Directly south of Benson there is not a whole lot between there are places like Tombstone (along the highway 80 route) or Huachuca City (along the highway 90 route). Sierra Vista is large enough to have pretty much everything but not TOO big as to be congested, crime-ridden etc. Bisbee and Tombstone have lots of character but are tourist destinations.

Maybe somewhere around Benson or Willcox may suit you - they at least fall into the size of the town you mention being interested in. The nice thing about Benson is that there is a basic hospital there and you are less than an hour from the big hospitals in Tucson should the need arise (something to consider - especially for us older folks).

In truth I'm not really sure what you are looking for. You mention the type of house you want, but that COULD be found in any of those areas so that's not a whole lot of help.

Ken
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-31-2010, 05:38 PM
 
Location: MT/35 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
1,468 posts, read 1,566,900 times
Reputation: 1811
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Not a lot of towns in that area (it's a lot of empty space) - and I've not been through all of it. Patagonia is the most treed. It's pretty lush there, with significant trees around the town itself (most I've seen anywhere in SE Arizona) - and these are tall trees too, not just the 10 foot mesquite most commonly seen. It's really lovely there - but the town is REALLY SMALL (below your threshhold I would think -at least it seemed that way). Soniota too is pretty tiny and isolated feeling. Same with McNeal and Sunizona.

Directly south of Benson there is not a whole lot between there are places like Tombstone (along the highway 80 route) or Huachuca City (along the highway 90 route). Sierra Vista is large enough to have pretty much everything but not TOO big as to be congested, crime-ridden etc. Bisbee and Tombstone have lots of character but are tourist destinations.

Maybe somewhere around Benson or Willcox may suit you - they at least fall into the size of the town you mention being interested in. The nice thing about Benson is that there is a basic hospital there and you are less than an hour from the big hospitals in Tucson should the need arise (something to consider - especially for us older folks).

In truth I'm not really sure what you are looking for. You mention the type of house you want, but that COULD be found in any of those areas so that's not a whole lot of help.

Ken
Ken.................................Thank you for your response. Some time in the next two weeks I'll be spending a couple of days exploring the area around Patagonia, Elgin, and Sonoita, etc. I'll probably utilize the services of a well know, respected realtor who is very familiar with that area. I'll let you know what developes. Thanx......Griz
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top