Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 06:03 PM

911 posts, read 2,146,099 times

Advertisements

much appreciated... i pretty much knew that it'd be too hot anyway. plus smog and crime are major deal-breakers in my book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 05:19 PM

932 posts, read 1,957,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
I definately dont think Phoenix is for you. Flagstaff or Albuquerque may be better. Phoenix is just too big 4 its own good and has grown too quickly, too much crime, too much pollution, too much traffic, EXCESSIVE HEAT, horrid schools and many many illegals. I'm just telling U the way it is.....
Listen to what he says and its like reading the tabloids. Phoenix is not as horrible as SOME people say it is. Phoenix could be much larger and more crowded. Phoenix could be much hotter, and drier but it's not. Too much crime, excessive heat, no. Phoenix actually has one of the lowest crime rates out of any major U.S city. Compare this to L.A and Phoenix virtually has no crime at all. Excessive heat; not all that common. Sure it gets hot during the summer no one can deny that, but it's bearable. Some people just make it seem longer and hotter than it really is. (by the way it has only reached 120 degrees once in the history of Phoenix) Horrid schools? Haha, I laughed at that. He's thinking of the pupils per spending and how we have the lowest, still the school district are managing to attract more students. Many illegals, sure we have a good amount, nothing like Miami or Los Angeles. Pollution is a probelm in every major city in the world. No way you can around that, not even a good enough excuse. Along with traffic, bad in almost every major city. That's why they invented the freeway.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:59 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,932,572 times
I think the heat is a matter of personal opinion, Some like it other hate it and can not adjust to it no matter what. I dont know about phoenix but i know its 115 very often there but usually you can find 120+ in yuma not so much phoenix. the op just needs to come see for themselves. the schools that is another issue Phoenix school named among the worst in nation - Phoenix Arizona news, breaking news, local news, weather radar, traffic from ABC15 News | ABC15.com
I have to say the freeway is always a mess when I go there. san diego is easier to get around in to me.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:05 AM

124 posts, read 275,298 times
Default Setting your criteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by famlife View Post
here's our list of some of the things we'd like in our community...
Actually I think it is really smart to estalish a criteria of the different factors you want in a community, and then sort of rank them in a heirarchy of which factors might trump others.

Knowing both what factors you would ideally want in a community and the things you know you definitely want to avoid will help you a lot no matter where you ultimately land.

I'm always amazed when I meet people who just show up in a new area because they thought it might be fun or interesting and then get frustrated when it does not work out for them for whatever reason.

Right now I'm trying to decide between Arizona and Idaho and I'm doing LOTS of research and considering on both! Still, ultimately we humans are pretty dang adaptable and can bloom where we are planted for the most part. In the end where I go with be 25% personal preference and 75% circumstances the universe presents since I definitely have to be where I can get a job. Since I've got interviews coming up in both Boise and Mesa it will be interesting to see how it all unfolds.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:07 PM

894 posts, read 2,192,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Listen to what he says and its like reading the tabloids. Phoenix is not as horrible as SOME people say it is. Phoenix could be much larger and more crowded. Phoenix could be much hotter, and drier but it's not. Too much crime, excessive heat, no. Phoenix actually has one of the lowest crime rates out of any major U.S city. Compare this to L.A and Phoenix virtually has no crime at all. Excessive heat; not all that common. Sure it gets hot during the summer no one can deny that, but it's bearable. Some people just make it seem longer and hotter than it really is. (by the way it has only reached 120 degrees once in the history of Phoenix) Horrid schools? Haha, I laughed at that. He's thinking of the pupils per spending and how we have the lowest, still the school district are managing to attract more students. Many illegals, sure we have a good amount, nothing like Miami or Los Angeles. Pollution is a probelm in every major city in the world. No way you can around that, not even a good enough excuse. Along with traffic, bad in almost every major city. That's why they invented the freeway.
You have to consider, this family is coming from Wisconsin. Excessive heat for you may not be 115-120, but it probably is for them. High temps in Wisconsin rarely top 100 degrees in the Midwest. I don't know statistically what the records temps for phoenix are, but I do know the high summer temps exceed 115 every summer. Also, Phoenix is a general area in reference, people usually reference it all the way out to surprise/sun city west, and I do know for a fact that the temp has exceeded 120F in the summer more than once in the summer out there.

To the OP. There are 2 Zoo's within an hour of the Valley. There is the Phoenix Zoo, and there is the Wildlife world Zoo in the far west valley in Goodyear. About a 20 minute drive from Buckeye, a 10-15 minute drive from Surprise. Nice area out there, but like previously stated by someone else, Luke AFB is there, and the flight path for the F16's are a problem for some. The short and final approach is a SW heading, right over El Mirage, and on take off, you can still hear afterburner all the way out towards Buckeye.

Prescott/Prescott Valley has a zoo. Very nice area, Flagstaff is nearby, that whole area is very nice. The heat is pretty normal, on average with the rest of the country, and the winters are nothing compared to what you see in the Midwest. Crime up there is minimal, and the "small town" atmosphere is still there. I myself am looking into Cottonwood in the future. Hope this helps.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:13 PM

911 posts, read 2,146,099 times
Yes, it does. All these posts are very helpful, actually. I've my list narrowed down to AZ or Colorado.

If we go to Colorado, we'll have to sacrifice some freedoms with homeschooling, but I think it's something we can acclimate to. They just hold you a little more accountable, which we aren't to worried about... we do good.

So I'm looking into areas of AZ that isn't TOO too hot, that's pretty safe and mid-sized. Also, natural beauty is definitely a must. As well as all the other things listed.

Thanks so much guys, this forum is sooo helpful.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:10 PM

2 posts, read 7,307 times
I've lived in Prescott for 29 years. The climate is great for my asthma. I don't do so well with Flagstaff's altitude and 10-15 degree colder temps. Today was 60 so as usual it was shorts and a light jacket in the morning, but later just shirt sleeves for my 6-mile walk. So much better than the climate back east (Connecticut) and the air is wonderful and clean. I've thought of moving, but really Prescott has it all. Snow doesn't last long with the dry air, but gives the dogs a morning run in it if it happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona