Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 10:32 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,261,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I have no use for Sarah Palin and her style of politicking . I find her revolting. But, Sarah Palin is, first and foremost, a MOTHER. If she is a hypocrite as well, it is incidental. Your disdain for children is apparent in virtually everything you write, so you may lack experience in this area. I can assure you that children ALL seem to find ways to disappoint us as parents - some large, some small. But we soldier on, and we love and support them nonetheless. That is not hypocrisy - it is parenthood.
The disdain I have is for those who bear children without being able to fully afford it on their own means, so they rely on taxpayer money to fund their reproductive habits. In this case, my disdain is for the so called "social conservatives" like Sarah Palin who want abstinence taught in order to save all the teenagers from themselves ... but her own teenage daughter couldn't abstain herself. You can't preach abstinence, and then embrace a girl who had unprotected sex & gave birth to an illegitimate child (even if it is part of your own family). That's hypocritical!

Palin has demonstrated her hypocrisy on other levels as well. She rightfully calls for taxpayer relief and less government spending, but she turned around & used taxpayer money to send her kids on business trips with her (an abuse of government funds). The latest bout of Palin hypocrisy is her criticizing Obama for using a TelePrompter while she had notes scribbled on her hand. I'm no fan of Obama, but his most ardent critics need to show some maturity on their part. They need to lead by example!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
If there is any hypocrisy to this story, it is John McCain who has sullied his reputation and his record as a moderate to pander to the right by having Palin at his side in the AZ primaries. The man is an unprincipled, hypocritical slug in my book, now.
I know what you mean about McCain. I'm not a huge fan of his either ... mainly because of his waffling on issues like immigration, etc. His selection of Palin was nothing more than a political ploy on his part to cater to the right wing of his party. Based on Palin's hypocrisy that I noted above (and how many Republicans are now distancing themselves from her), I think she's a conservative in name only. She certainly hasn't demonstrated a whole lot of true conservative principles in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 11:59 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,516,977 times
"The disdain I have is for those who bear children without being able to fully afford it on their own means, so they rely on taxpayer money to fund their reproductive habits. In this case, my disdain is for the so called "social conservatives" like Sarah Palin who want abstinence taught in order to save all the teenagers from themselves ... but her own teenage daughter couldn't abstain herself. You can't preach abstinence, and then embrace a girl who had unprotected sex & gave birth to an illegitimate child (even if it is part of your own family). That's hypocritical!"

So you are going to judge the parents by the actions of their children? My parents were aweful, then, because my older brother did all sorts of things they disapproved of. (Myself, on the other hand, did not). So I guess they are hypocrites, too!
I really don't think that anyone has a "perfect" family, and it is naive to think otherwise. And it's quite judgemental to hold any family to some sort of "perfect" standard.

"Palin has demonstrated her hypocrisy on other levels as well. She rightfully calls for taxpayer relief and less government spending, but she turned around & used taxpayer money to send her kids on business trips with her (an abuse of government funds). The latest bout of Palin hypocrisy is her criticizing Obama for using a TelePrompter while she had notes scribbled on her hand. I'm no fan of Obama, but his most ardent critics need to show some maturity on their part. They need to lead by example!"

Seriously, you are comparing someone scribbling a few key points on their hand to someone reading word-for-word off of a screen (no matter how small the crowd)? I'm not saying anything against President Obama (if he wants to use a teleprompter, that's his business). But to say "She's a hypocrite" because she wrote a few key points on their hand is really absurd.

Sounds like to me your "problem" with her is much deeper than scribbles on a hand.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:57 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,372,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickw252 View Post
Although I mostly respect McCain's career, I was very disappointed by his presidential campaign for legitimizing Sarah Palin in the eyes of middle America. His continued association with Palin brings him down in my opinion. He has generally been a reasonable and moderate politician that worked with both parties, and now he legitimized Palin, one of the most polarizing (and many other adjectives that are not fit for print) politicians available.

Also, wasn't there strong evidence after the election showing that Palin played a large part in McCain's loss because she scared off moderates. Isn't her base pretty much just radical religious birthers, anti-abortionists, and Westboro Baptist types.

Well it sounds as if you aren't interested in the Republican party anyhow. Obama has been polled as the most polarizing president.... ever. Right now it's Obama that is scaring off moderates. Your attempted catagorization of Palin as a radical birther religious loon is par for course, as the political left in this country would rather see Palin hooked up to a car battery than have a single fiber of Khalid Sheik Mohammed's hair displaced by a CIA interrogator. When the spittle spewing libs have their heads explode after this November's elections, there won't be enough of you left to vote for Obama no matter who runs against him. Charles Manson will be able to beat him if he could manage to make parole.

Old 02-13-2010, 04:07 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,261,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
So you are going to judge the parents by the actions of their children? My parents were aweful, then, because my older brother did all sorts of things they disapproved of. (Myself, on the other hand, did not). So I guess they are hypocrites, too!
I really don't think that anyone has a "perfect" family, and it is naive to think otherwise. And it's quite judgemental to hold any family to some sort of "perfect" standard.
The point is that Palin shouldn't be advocating abstinence for teenagers when her own teen daughter obviously refused to abstain. It's called leading by example ... and that's what people should be doing when they are in the public limelight like she is! Then Sarah was openly proud & supportive of Bristol for having the baby, even though she wasn't married, and has no intention of marrying the father (regardless of how much of a jerk he may be). It used to be that true "social conservatives" would be ashamed of their young daughters having unprotected sex and giving birth out of wedlock!

Quote:
Sounds like to me your "problem" with her is much deeper than scribbles on a hand.
As Sarah herself would say: "you betcha!" The sound of her voice alone is annoying enough ... but aside from that, she has proven her hypocrisy on quite a few levels (e.g. claiming she's for less gov't and less taxation while using gov't funds to have her kids accompany her on trips, etc.). See, I have come to expect hypocrisy & abuse of gov't power from many liberals ... but somehow, I expected somewhat higher standards from self described conservatives. Palin has proven to me that she's a conservative in name only.

Old 02-13-2010, 05:20 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,848,232 times
I think the only thing Palin could do for McCain would be dragging the press that follows this Mod cut: name calling all over the place, but the negative tones that follow her would do nothing to support him. In the interview with Glen Beck, she had to dodge the question of McCain supporting Obama on the bailout and the national healthcare issues. It would not have been advantageous for her to be outwardly hypocritical, though she has voiced her opinion against both national issues, I don't see how she can support McCain, much more have been picked for a running mate....

Last edited by Grannysroost; 02-13-2010 at 09:09 PM..

Old 02-13-2010, 06:59 PM

"The point is that Palin shouldn't be advocating abstinence for teenagers when her own teen daughter obviously refused to abstain."

How's that? Did Sarah abstain when she was a teenager? If not, then perhaps you have a point. But nobody can control the choices that their children make. So why are you holding the parent accountable for the choice that the child made? I don't get it.

"Then Sarah was openly proud & supportive of Bristol for having the baby, even though she wasn't married, and has no intention of marrying the father (regardless of how much of a jerk he may be)."

You must not be a parent. This is called unconditional love. I'm really glad that my parents didn't disown me everytime I made a mistake.

"As Sarah herself would say: 'you betcha!' The sound of her voice alone is annoying enough ..."

I find hypocrisy in folks who claim to be tolerant, but then have some strange hatred for someone (that they've never met) who's political viewpoint is different than theirs.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
"The point is that Palin shouldn't be advocating abstinence for teenagers when her own teen daughter obviously refused to abstain."

How's that? Did Sarah abstain when she was a teenager? If not, then perhaps you have a point. But nobody can control the choices that their children make. So why are you holding the parent accountable for the choice that the child made? I don't get it.

"Then Sarah was openly proud & supportive of Bristol for having the baby, even though she wasn't married, and has no intention of marrying the father (regardless of how much of a jerk he may be)."

You must not be a parent. This is called unconditional love. I'm really glad that my parents didn't disown me everytime I made a mistake.

"As Sarah herself would say: 'you betcha!' The sound of her voice alone is annoying enough ..."

I find hypocrisy in folks who claim to be tolerant, but then have some strange hatred for someone (that they've never met) who's political viewpoint is different than theirs.
I agree that this should not be about her (Sarah's) children..., but when she advocated abstinence, then her daughter got pregnant...chit happens to anyone and yes, it is unconditional love, but when did she cross the line from abstinence to doing a national magazine cover with her daughter and grandchild? People talk of role models when they go 'south' (tiger woods for example), if she were to have been VP and a woman, what would that have said to teen girls all over the country? What turned me off on her (Sarah) as a woman in general was before she was running for VP...she knew she was going have a special needs baby, she was at a conference in Texas and her water was leaking with a 5th child mind you, did she go to a hospital in Texas and get checked...no...she got on a plane with a layover in Seattle (this is a month or whatever early to top it off) then flew on to Anchorage, only to drive to Wasilla to give birth...so she was in active labor, with no regard for this unborn baby with special needs should he have been born on the plane and needed attention immediately, nor did she alert the flight crew as she probably wouldn't have been allowed on the plane....I don't know what was so important for this baby to be born in a small town hospital in AK, but would love to know. If she has this little regard for her own unborn child, what would her decisions be for the rest of the country if she was up against the wall....

Old 02-13-2010, 08:47 PM

"I agree that this should not be about her (Sarah's) children..., but when she advocated abstinence, then her daughter got pregnant...chit happens to anyone and yes, it is unconditional love, but when did she cross the line from abstinence to doing a national magazine cover with her daughter and grandchild? People talk of role models when they go 'south' (tiger woods for example), if she were to have been VP and a woman, what would that have said to teen girls all over the country?"

Again, this is projecting the sins of the daughter on to the mother. It's absurd. Are my parents bad role models because my brother chose to smoke pot? I understand you don't like her politics. But bashing her because of what her daughter did says more about you (and Valley Native) than her.

"What turned me off on her (Sarah) as a woman in general was before she was running for VP...she knew she was going have a special needs baby, she was at a conference in Texas and her water was leaking with a 5th child mind you, did she go to a hospital in Texas and get checked...no...she got on a plane with a layover in Seattle (this is a month or whatever early to top it off) then flew on to Anchorage, only to drive to Wasilla to give birth...so she was in active labor, with no regard for this unborn baby with special needs should he have been born on the plane and needed attention immediately, nor did she alert the flight crew as she probably wouldn't have been allowed on the plane....I don't know what was so important for this baby to be born in a small town hospital in AK, but would love to know."

Have you ever tried to ask?
My guess is (like many of the stories about her), this one has been exaggerated to death. But whatever.

"I find hypocrisy in folks who claim to be tolerant, but then have some strange hatred for someone (that they've never met) who's political viewpoint is different than theirs." --Ritchie_az

Old 02-13-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
"I agree that this should not be about her (Sarah's) children..., but when she advocated abstinence, then her daughter got pregnant...chit happens to anyone and yes, it is unconditional love, but when did she cross the line from abstinence to doing a national magazine cover with her daughter and grandchild? People talk of role models when they go 'south' (tiger woods for example), if she were to have been VP and a woman, what would that have said to teen girls all over the country?"

Again, this is projecting the sins of the daughter on to the mother. It's absurd. Are my parents bad role models because my brother chose to smoke pot? I understand you don't like her politics. But bashing her because of what her daughter did says more about you (and Valley Native) than her.

"What turned me off on her (Sarah) as a woman in general was before she was running for VP...she knew she was going have a special needs baby, she was at a conference in Texas and her water was leaking with a 5th child mind you, did she go to a hospital in Texas and get checked...no...she got on a plane with a layover in Seattle (this is a month or whatever early to top it off) then flew on to Anchorage, only to drive to Wasilla to give birth...so she was in active labor, with no regard for this unborn baby with special needs should he have been born on the plane and needed attention immediately, nor did she alert the flight crew as she probably wouldn't have been allowed on the plane....I don't know what was so important for this baby to be born in a small town hospital in AK, but would love to know."

Have you ever tried to ask?
My guess is (like many of the stories about her), this one has been exaggerated to death. But whatever.

"I find hypocrisy in folks who claim to be tolerant, but then have some strange hatred for someone (that they've never met) who's political viewpoint is different than theirs." --Ritchie_az
Not so much projecting the daughter on the mother at all...,but the mother throwing what she has preached about abstinence out the door for the almighty dollar, then going back to advocating what to our daughters and granddaughters? I have a grand with a single mom daughter, but I did not preach as much abstinence to my girls as I did birth control, but I did not change my mind after the baby was born, and I am in reality her other parent with the time I have spent with her...hence my profile picture. I did not say one thing and do another, then switch to something else. Consistency is the key...

The story exaggerated to death...not...mind you this was before she was considered for VP, she was governor of Alaska and had just barely announced she was pregnant to the state and I was living there....When I had my 5th before my water was broke, I asked my midwife how long when in the hospital after an hour's drive to get there...she said 3 good pushes once she broke my water and was right on....now this woman had a special needs baby with water leaking a month early, hops on a couple planes (how many hours) then an hour drive...go figure...

She lost popularity fast in AK once she accepted the nomination for VP and the truth got mixed up and views changed and she got frustrated with her statements and had to blah blah to think about what she had said and what she stands for, then she quit on the state....mind you until these facts came out...I thought it was great, all for her, now she makes Alaska a joke and an excuse for being a maverick, when she loves the limelight of the camera...Fox News, her and Glen jointly asking for a stint on SNL that made her a joke and she doesn't get it, short of the camera...what would she do for McCain? Maybe he is thinking of a forced retirement whether good, bad or indifferent....

Last edited by Grannysroost; 02-13-2010 at 09:06 PM..

Old 02-13-2010, 10:13 PM

"Not so much projecting the daughter on the mother at all...,but the mother throwing what she has preached about abstinence out the door for the almighty dollar, then going back to advocating what to our daughters and granddaughters? I have a grand with a single mom daughter, but I did not preach as much abstinence to my girls as I did birth control, but I did not change my mind after the baby was born, and I am in reality her other parent with the time I have spent with her...hence my profile picture. I did not say one thing and do another, then switch to something else. Consistency is the key..."

This whole paragraph made very little sense. But what I got out of it was that if Sarah Palin had advocated for birth control instead of abstinence, and the same situation happened with her daughter, you'd be ok with that. But since she advocated for abstinence, she's somehow a hypocrite.
If that is not what you meant, you'll have to explain it again.
And you said you want consistency. Well, she advocated for abstinence before and after her daughter's choices. That's pretty darn consistent if you ask me.
It sounds to me like you would only be satisfied if Sarah Palin changed her position and advocated for birth control/safe-sex. If that is true, then it proves that this is about politics (which is what I suspect) and not the person herself.
Also, if all parents were held to the same standard that you are trying to hold Sarah Palin to, then we're all miserable failures and hypocrates.

"The story exaggerated to death...not...mind you this was before she was considered for VP, she was governor of Alaska and had just barely announced she was pregnant to the state and I was living there....When I had my 5th before my water was broke, I asked my midwife how long when in the hospital after an hour's drive to get there...she said 3 good pushes once she broke my water and was right on....now this woman had a special needs baby with water leaking a month early, hops on a couple planes (how many hours) then an hour drive...go figure..."

Ever play the Telephone Game? Once a story gets passed around a few times, it's not quite reality. Did Sarah Palin herself relay the story? What were her words? You said you wanted to ask her. Have you ever tried? I'm not accepting the story at face value. Yes, there is likely some truth to it, but, much like the stories in the kids game mentioned above, there is probably little reality left.

"She lost popularity fast in AK once she accepted the nomination for VP and the truth got mixed up and views changed and she got frustrated with her statements and had to blah blah to think about what she had said and what she stands for, then she quit on the state....mind you until these facts came out...I thought it was great, all for her, now she makes Alaska a joke and an excuse for being a maverick, when she loves the limelight of the camera...Fox News, her and Glen jointly asking for a stint on SNL that made her a joke and she doesn't get it, short of the camera...what would she do for McCain? Maybe he is thinking of a forced retirement whether good, bad or indifferent...."

And that's on her, however her life unfolds. She made choices (and whether or not you agree with those choices makes no difference), and she'll reap the consequences of those choices (whether good or bad). So what?
What could she do for McCain? Well, I think she is still popular with conservatives, so perhaps he wanted her help in getting their vote. Personally, I find her support for him puzzling because I think Hayworth's political views are closer to her's than McCain's. So I guess it's all political favors. Whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona