Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 06:10 PM

18 posts, read 47,179 times

Advertisements

I'm an attorney, planning on getting married within the next couple years (but we don't want kids for a while). She makes a little under 50k a year as a teacher, I make around 170k (corporate attorney). Both in our mid-20s.

Are there well-compensated positions for attorneys in Arizona? I don't really mind taking a hit on the salary since we're very debt-conscious and do not consume a lot. I'm just curious what the professional job market is like. Could she find a job? She does high school math.

I am very into the outdoors and want to live somewhere where I can enjoy that nearly year round (hiking, mountain climbing, etc.) and I love warm climates. Arizona also is not terribly expensive. I also love that it's near Mexico, 2 oceans (Gulf of Cal and the Pacific), L.A., San Diego, Vegas.

Is Arizona for me? What is the best area - Tuscon or Phoenix? I've heard a lot of negatives about the city of Phoenix, but the burbs get compliments often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 07:01 AM

Nobody?

Old 02-19-2010, 07:35 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
While I'm in the legal field, I'm on the government side, and I really don't know a lot about the job market for attorneys in AZ, what firms/companies are hiring, etc. The economy here is quite slow, at the salary you are making now, I would not plan on coming here for several years, until things start turning around.

Schools are strapped here now, too. State funding has never been good, and it is worse now with the budget situation.

I would wait and watch and see how things go here for at least two or three years before I'd even think about it.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:51 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times
I would think a corporate attorney making $170K/year would know how to do some fundimental research on the job market by looking at employment boards, for example one of the many ones that specialize in attorneys.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:01 AM

kdog: this is part of that research. I'm also interested in more than just the economics, like how much I would enjoy Arizona.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:08 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,515,497 times
Houston and Phoenix are much different culturally. Be sure and visit (if you haven't already) to make sure you'll like it here.
I moved from Phoenix to Houston almost five years ago. It was a bit of a culture shock for my wife and I. We couldn't wait to return to The Grand Canyon State.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:22 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenyears1984 View Post
kdog: this is part of that research. I'm also interested in more than just the economics, like how much I would enjoy Arizona.
Ok, you have a thick skin, that helps.

Being a fellow outdoors person, I think you would love Arizona. Keep in mind that Phoenix gets exceedingly hot in the summer. So I would plan on weekend commutes outside of the city to do your sports. Alternatively you could of course live somewhere more temperate, as I do, but that might limit your occupational choices. Tucson might be a good compromise. I think you'll suffer a huge cut in pay though.

If you're serious about moving to AZ, I would have a solid job lined up before you move. And that means hitting the job boards. Opinions on a site like this really mean nothing, you need to speak directly to headhunters and employers. Oh, and consider Flagstaff. Good luck with your search.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:55 AM

Ritchie: can you elaborate on how Houston is culturally different from Phoenix? My gf and I are both very liberal (socially) and non-religious. What about Tucson vs. Phoenix vs. Flagstaff in terms of culture? What specifically about Houston did you not like? I'm not a huge fan of Houston either!

Old 02-19-2010, 11:19 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,515,497 times
"Ritchie: can you elaborate on how Houston is culturally different from Phoenix? My gf and I are both very liberal (socially) and non-religious. What about Tucson vs. Phoenix vs. Flagstaff in terms of culture? What specifically about Houston did you not like? I'm not a huge fan of Houston either!"

Racism in Houston is so ingrained that I don't think people often realize what they're saying. We found this in several racial groups. Also, the city is more segregated than I expected. It seems that people of different races don't like to live near each other. Of course, this is all generalization and I understand that there are tons of exceptions. I'm not trying to start any kind of debate. But, my experience, people are not "color blind" in Houston.
Also, there seems to be a Louisiana culture in Houston. Nothing against folks in/from Louisiana, but it is a different place that was quite foreign to me. I'm not sure I can exactly put a finger on it, but it's certainly different than southwest culture. Is it values? Is it pace? Is it priorities? I'm not real sure. But there's a strong influence of Louisiana in Houston.
Environmentally, Houston and Phoenix are worlds apart. Houston is a costal/forested city, Phoenix is an inland/desert city. Houston is old (boom was in the 60's and 70's), Phoenix is new (boom was in the 90's and 00's).
There are many other small differences. And there are some things that are similar. I'm not trying to get into all the details--just a quick, generalized overview.

Tucson (and Flagstaff) are more liberal than Phoenix. Not saying there aren't liberals in Phoenix or conservatives in Tucson (or Flagstaff), but, (again) generally speaking, Tucson is more liberal than Phoenix. Arizona tends to be "fiscally conservative and socially liberal". That's not completely true, but an adequate way to generalize the state.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:14 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
You will never find anything remotely close to the money you are making now in Flagstaff. I'd plan on just visiting there, which is easy to do on weekend trips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona