U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 02-20-2010, 05:26 AM
 
Location: Puerto Rico
5 posts, read 13,434 times
Reputation: 21
Default Gay life in Arizona

Looking for some updated info on being gay and living in Arizona, specifically the Tusosn and Phoenix areas. I'm pretty much over the bar scene so not really interested in whether or not they exist. I'm more interested in getting information about gay life in general and the attitudes towards gay people in these areas. Being that Arizona is a "red" state represented by McCain, the general perception is that the state is intolerant and homophobic. However, I would like to hear from people who actually live in Arizona rather than those who stereotype a place from afar. I'm a 41 year old gay man, born and raised on the Jersey shore, lived 11 years in NYC before moving to Puerto Rico (which I do not like) five years ago. I've been to Arizona many times, and love the desert. I am looking to relocate to an area that will afford me an opportunity to become involved in my community and meet interesting people. More interested in good restaurants, outdoor activities, arts, independent movies, etc. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

 
Old 02-20-2010, 08:39 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,157 posts, read 25,980,705 times
Reputation: 3654
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa2968 View Post
Looking for some updated info on being gay and living in Arizona, specifically the Tusosn and Phoenix areas. I'm pretty much over the bar scene so not really interested in whether or not they exist. I'm more interested in getting information about gay life in general and the attitudes towards gay people in these areas. Being that Arizona is a "red" state represented by McCain, the general perception is that the state is intolerant and homophobic. However, I would like to hear from people who actually live in Arizona rather than those who stereotype a place from afar. I'm a 41 year old gay man, born and raised on the Jersey shore, lived 11 years in NYC before moving to Puerto Rico (which I do not like) five years ago. I've been to Arizona many times, and love the desert. I am looking to relocate to an area that will afford me an opportunity to become involved in my community and meet interesting people. More interested in good restaurants, outdoor activities, arts, independent movies, etc. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
fcorrales80 here on City Data would be your point man for the Phx area.

Gay Phoenix Guide - Gay Bars & Clubs, Hotels, Reviews and Maps - GayCities Phoenix
Gay Phoenix Arizona LGBT News
AZ Gays.com - From Gay to Z
Phoenix LGBT Gay Pride
 
Old 02-21-2010, 08:34 AM
 
751 posts, read 1,087,904 times
Reputation: 1130
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa2968 View Post
Looking for some updated info on being gay and living in Arizona, specifically the Tusosn and Phoenix areas. I'm pretty much over the bar scene so not really interested in whether or not they exist. I'm more interested in getting information about gay life in general and the attitudes towards gay people in these areas. Being that Arizona is a "red" state represented by McCain, the general perception is that the state is intolerant and homophobic. However, I would like to hear from people who actually live in Arizona rather than those who stereotype a place from afar. I'm a 41 year old gay man, born and raised on the Jersey shore, lived 11 years in NYC before moving to Puerto Rico (which I do not like) five years ago. I've been to Arizona many times, and love the desert. I am looking to relocate to an area that will afford me an opportunity to become involved in my community and meet interesting people. More interested in good restaurants, outdoor activities, arts, independent movies, etc. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

We just looooooove Gay folks here.....and we are sooo tolerant.

Make yourself at home. be yourself, move next door to a Republican, attend gay pride parades, dress in drag etc etc etc.....

In all honesty....some folks might disagree with your lifestyle, but that doesnt make them intolerant or homophobic, nor are they going to burn a cross on your front lawn.
Dont push your liberty on them and they will leave you alone too.

I really get sick of good folks being labeled as bigots simply because they dont agree with your lifestyle choice.
 
Old 02-22-2010, 11:29 PM
 
123 posts, read 188,494 times
Reputation: 121
Bisbee is an up and coming place for gays ...as is Sahuarita, a bedroom community of Tucson. Generally, conservative state that doesn't like gays but pretty much leaves them alone. It does have problems though. Remember though that prices here are higher and jobs are harrrrd to come by.
 
Old 02-22-2010, 11:42 PM
 
14,085 posts, read 11,709,491 times
Reputation: 9950
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa2968 View Post
Looking for some updated info on being gay and living in Arizona, specifically the Tusosn and Phoenix areas. I'm pretty much over the bar scene so not really interested in whether or not they exist. I'm more interested in getting information about gay life in general and the attitudes towards gay people in these areas. Being that Arizona is a "red" state represented by McCain, the general perception is that the state is intolerant and homophobic. However, I would like to hear from people who actually live in Arizona rather than those who stereotype a place from afar. I'm a 41 year old gay man, born and raised on the Jersey shore, lived 11 years in NYC before moving to Puerto Rico (which I do not like) five years ago. I've been to Arizona many times, and love the desert. I am looking to relocate to an area that will afford me an opportunity to become involved in my community and meet interesting people. More interested in good restaurants, outdoor activities, arts, independent movies, etc. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
I lived in Tucson from the late 1980s to early 1990s. I never had much of a problem being openly gay at that time. However, you have to realize AZ is not San Francisco. Personally, after living in the San Francisco Bay Area for the last 13 years, I think that's a good thing. San Francisco people are just as prejudiced as conservatives, just about different things.

Very few people are going to care that you're gay, as long as you're not in their faces about it all the time.

The bigger problem with Tucson is the low wage job market combined with the fairly high cost of living (relative to wages). PHX has a reputation for being more conservative. That may be true in general, but the metro area is larger, so there are more gay oriented activities there, so it may balance out. However, having never lived in PHX area, this is just what I've read and observed and been told by others, not my personal experience.
 
Old 02-23-2010, 12:26 AM
 
Location: Prescott Valley, Az (unfortunately still here)
2,551 posts, read 1,486,841 times
Reputation: 1521
It's not really tolerant here in the Prescott/Prescott Valley, Chino Valley, Dewey, or Humbolt areas (quite a bit of racists/discriminating/judgemental people here).

Your best bet is to stay in the Phoenix or Tucson area, where gay people are more accepted.
 
Old 02-23-2010, 07:24 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,157 posts, read 25,980,705 times
Reputation: 3654
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinaJo76 View Post
It's not really tolerant here in the Prescott/Prescott Valley, Chino Valley, Dewey, or Humbolt areas (quite a bit of racists/discriminating/judgemental people here).

Your best bet is to stay in the Phoenix or Tucson area, where gay people are more accepted.
Another place that Gays may feel at home is Bullhead City or possibly Kingman of all places. Maybe because the former has so many x SoCal people living there.
 
Old 02-24-2010, 09:51 AM
 
Location: Puerto Rico
5 posts, read 13,434 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by saffordpastor View Post
We just looooooove Gay folks here.....and we are sooo tolerant.

Make yourself at home. be yourself, move next door to a Republican, attend gay pride parades, dress in drag etc etc etc.....

In all honesty....some folks might disagree with your lifestyle, but that doesnt make them intolerant or homophobic, nor are they going to burn a cross on your front lawn.
Dont push your liberty on them and they will leave you alone too.

I really get sick of good folks being labeled as bigots simply because they dont agree with your lifestyle choice.
Saffordpastor, your ignorance is astounding. Thanks for showing me what a horrible mistake I would be making by moving to Arizona and living among your ilk.
 
Old 02-24-2010, 10:54 AM
 
751 posts, read 1,087,904 times
Reputation: 1130
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa2968 View Post
Saffordpastor, your ignorance is astounding. Thanks for showing me what a horrible mistake I would be making by moving to Arizona and living among your ilk.

Hehe...it worked...
 
Old 02-24-2010, 11:03 AM
 
Location: San Jose, CA
6,326 posts, read 10,309,381 times
Reputation: 7516
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa2968 View Post
Saffordpastor, your ignorance is astounding. Thanks for showing me what a horrible mistake I would be making by moving to Arizona and living among your ilk.
It would be equally ignorant to assume that Saffordpaster is in any way representative of the people you will find in AZ. If you look at his posting history, you'll see that he's taken a LOT of heat from most other members in this forum over his homophobic views, which should be an indicator that his views are NOT at all popular here. You will find bigots no matter where you go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top