U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-21-2010, 12:02 PM
 
1 posts, read 839 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

I also am from Michigan and I am moving to the the metro phoenix area, hopfully Queen Creek in February, because I have family moving there and I wouldn't dream of parting company with my grandbabies! It's not the only reason though. I hate Michigan! I was born here but lived in Arkansas recently for 6 years and loved it! I think that I will love Arizona too! I love heat, exploring, activities like museums and zoos etc. etc. I am researching the job market, I am a collector and researching the housing market. We are going to rent for now.

I was a bit appalled though by some of the residents responses in other forums to transplants. They thinly veiled their animosity for them. I look at it this way, no one owns a state and everyone is free to live in any state that they wish! I am excited to meet many nice people in Arizona and I look forward to my time there!

Does anyone have advice on collection jobs in Mesa, Chandler, Queen Creek, Gilbert areas? Also, how is the construction industry right now?

Last edited by trendajo; 12-21-2010 at 12:14 PM..

 
Old 12-21-2010, 05:38 PM
 
Location: Prescott Valley, Az (unfortunately still here)
2,551 posts, read 1,565,906 times
Reputation: 1521
Don't be fooled, like a lot of folks have since moving here to Arizona. It does get cold. Especially in the smaller towns up north, it does snow. So, if you really want to move to a "warmer" climate and that's a little bit nicer, go to places like Florida. This place is a lot colder than Florida in the fall and winters. Just letting you all know before you make that move here. Because I've seen so many people get fooled and think it's warm year round...NOT...

The scenery here though is very beautiful and the canyons too. Great sightseeing place.

I like Arizona (not really love it though). But I prefer places like Phoenix, Scottsdale, Chandler, and/or Tucson (the bigger cities), because you have a better chance at finding a job and there's more things to do there than the smaller towns (especially up north).
 
Old 12-21-2010, 06:10 PM
 
3,350 posts, read 3,355,727 times
Reputation: 3576
Quote:
Originally Posted by trendajo View Post
Does anyone have advice on collection jobs in Mesa, Chandler, Queen Creek, Gilbert areas? Also, how is the construction industry right now?
Please start a new thread for this in the Phoenix forum. Thanks.
 
Old 12-22-2010, 01:12 AM
 
Location: Malibu/Miami Beach
1,070 posts, read 2,100,687 times
Reputation: 414
I thought Arizona would be a kind of semi retirement for me but boy was I wrong.
I have met and become friends with so many like minded people here that I am more involved with exiting projects than ever.
Yes the summer heat can be fierce but if you let the technology do its job you will be OK.
I also travel quite a lot but I am always happy to return to Arizona.
 
Old 12-22-2010, 01:14 AM
 
Location: AZ
19,440 posts, read 50,701,821 times
Reputation: 8494
Id prefer someplace like Page to Phoenix, so yes, I would consider moving to AZ, but only to retire there.
 
Old 12-22-2010, 01:21 AM
 
Location: AZ
19,440 posts, read 50,701,821 times
Reputation: 8494
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinaJo76 View Post
Don't be fooled, like a lot of folks have since moving here to Arizona. It does get cold. Especially in the smaller towns up north, it does snow. So, if you really want to move to a "warmer" climate and that's a little bit nicer, go to places like Florida. This place is a lot colder than Florida in the fall and winters. Just letting you all know before you make that move here. Because I've seen so many people get fooled and think it's warm year round...NOT...
I hope noone is that stupid to think that AZ is some hot, tropical paradise. lol Ive been to Flagstaff in early October and it was colder there than it is in Chicago in late November, it was ridiculously cold, and windy to boot! Leaving there and coming back to Chicagoland (where its supposedly "soooooo cold"), I was back in short sleeve t-shirts. People were shocked when I told them that Flagstaff was frigid. I mean, just because its in AZ doesnt mean its hot. Heck, even PHX isnt that warm in winter, its like an early spring day here.... comfy in the daytime, downright chilly at night. Its a lot milder than most places in winter, but if people are expecting 80 degrees in winter, with lows in the 60s, theyre going to be in for a nasty surprise when they move to PHX.
 
Old 12-22-2010, 12:56 PM
 
Location: Prescott Valley, Az (unfortunately still here)
2,551 posts, read 1,565,906 times
Reputation: 1521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I hope noone is that stupid to think that AZ is some hot, tropical paradise. lol Ive been to Flagstaff in early October and it was colder there than it is in Chicago in late November, it was ridiculously cold, and windy to boot! Leaving there and coming back to Chicagoland (where its supposedly "soooooo cold"), I was back in short sleeve t-shirts. People were shocked when I told them that Flagstaff was frigid. I mean, just because its in AZ doesnt mean its hot. Heck, even PHX isnt that warm in winter, its like an early spring day here.... comfy in the daytime, downright chilly at night. Its a lot milder than most places in winter, but if people are expecting 80 degrees in winter, with lows in the 60s, theyre going to be in for a nasty surprise when they move to PHX.
You'd be surprised! Some people think it is a hot, tropical paradise year round. Some are just plain ignorant, I guess...

Here's a hint, pretty much anywhere there are mountains, it's gonna be cold...That's simple to remember.
 
Old 12-24-2010, 12:11 PM
 
5,007 posts, read 4,983,323 times
Reputation: 6210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Heck, even PHX isnt that warm in winter, its like an early spring day here.... comfy in the daytime, downright chilly at night. Its a lot milder than most places in winter, but if people are expecting 80 degrees in winter, with lows in the 60s, theyre going to be in for a nasty surprise when they move to PHX.

So true. Winters relatively milder here, but not Florida warm at all.
 
Old 12-24-2010, 07:23 PM
 
Location: Tokyo (but will always be) Phoenix, Az
926 posts, read 1,067,832 times
Reputation: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinaJo76 View Post
You'd be surprised! Some people think it is a hot, tropical paradise year round. Some are just plain ignorant, I guess...

Here's a hint, pretty much anywhere there are mountains, it's gonna be cold...That's simple to remember.
On youtube I ran into a few people who thought it was 120 degrees here everyday. I told them otherwise.
 
Old 12-28-2010, 09:22 PM
 
9,110 posts, read 9,856,400 times
Reputation: 6581
Quote:
Originally Posted by LinaJo76 View Post
Don't be fooled, like a lot of folks have since moving here to Arizona. It does get cold. Especially in the smaller towns up north, it does snow. So, if you really want to move to a "warmer" climate and that's a little bit nicer, go to places like Florida. This place is a lot colder than Florida in the fall and winters. Just letting you all know before you make that move here. Because I've seen so many people get fooled and think it's warm year round...NOT...

The scenery here though is very beautiful and the canyons too. Great sightseeing place.

I like Arizona (not really love it though). But I prefer places like Phoenix, Scottsdale, Chandler, and/or Tucson (the bigger cities), because you have a better chance at finding a job and there's more things to do there than the smaller towns (especially up north).
The entire state does not have the same weather. The weather in Sierra Vista and many parts of Southern Arizona is better than any city in Florida hands down; you have consistently sunny weather with beautiful summers and winters that rarely dip below 30. You are right, the winters are cooler here than in Florida but we also have a lot more consistent good weather than Florida too; Florida gets a lot of torrential downpours , tornadoes and hurricanes and is a lot more humid. For many people, they want to see sunshine, and blue skies and would rather deal with 50 degrees and bright sunny skies than 70 degrees that is overcast and rainy in January.

Also you are wrong about the Fall weather here. It's much warmer in Phoenix in the Fall than Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top