Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 08:05 AM

1,697 posts, read 3,481,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatdrinks View Post
A good friend of mine - native Arizonan, visited Chicago for the first time last week. She HATED the weather. This was her first experience with "humidity" -- which wasn't really what I'd call humid but to her, it was like a swamp-- she said it was terrible and she'd never in a million years live somewhere like that. Funny thing is, it wasn't even the middle of the summer....throw in the heat along with the humidity, and it's plain gross.

Your comment just made me think of her experience -- I guess the dislike of the midwest as a place to live is a common feeling among many native Arizonans I can totally understand why...I'm with you guys...humidity ain't fun.
I'm moving to Arizona this fall after having lived my whole life in New Jersey. For the past couple of weeks, we have had warm and dry (not humid) weather out here and I was in my glory. The past few days, though, the familiar summer humidity has returned, and I am miserable. I can't wait to leave the humidity behind for good.

Old 06-02-2007, 12:16 PM

338 posts, read 1,624,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
I won't leave the ocean, I LOVE the rain, I hate the sandy desert...I like the green grass and palm trees.

NO Arizona is one of the LAST places I would move.
We actually do have lots of palm trees in Arizona and there is quite bit of green grass as well. It is a misconception that Arizona is just a "sandy desert" because we have so many neigborhoods with grass and trees. You have to go way out these days to see the "sandy desert".

Old 06-02-2007, 09:39 PM

8 posts, read 104,125 times
I know it is rare but personally I like the humidity. It hydrates my skin, my sinuses aren't clogged, and I feel like I'm home again. I grew up on the east coast and I miss it incredibly. Rainstorms can be so beautiful. I am def a water person.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:03 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,251,178 times
I can agree with you on that. The humidity is definitely better for you than the dry weather but it's nothin' that a lot of lotion can't fix!

Old 06-02-2007, 11:45 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,368,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatdrinks View Post
A good friend of mine - native Arizonan, visited Chicago for the first time last week. She HATED the weather. This was her first experience with "humidity" -- which wasn't really what I'd call humid but to her, it was like a swamp-- she said it was terrible and she'd never in a million years live somewhere like that. Funny thing is, it wasn't even the middle of the summer....throw in the heat along with the humidity, and it's plain gross.

Your comment just made me think of her experience -- I guess the dislike of the midwest as a place to live is a common feeling among many native Arizonans I can totally understand why...I'm with you guys...humidity ain't fun.
Last week was extremely warm for this time of year. And if she couldnt handle 50% humidity as a high and 20-30% as low, then Id like to see her someplace REAL humid. "Swamp"? And guess what? It didnt have to be in the middle of summer, because our temps last week were about as hot as it gets on average in July, our hottest month. If she cant handle 80's and moderate humidity, how does she tolerate 120 degrees and bone dry?

Old 06-02-2007, 11:49 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,368,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyz911 View Post
We actually do have lots of palm trees in Arizona and there is quite bit of green grass as well. It is a misconception that Arizona is just a "sandy desert" because we have so many neigborhoods with grass and trees. You have to go way out these days to see the "sandy desert".
Theres not much sand in AZ, true. But it is a desert state, PHX lies smack dab in the middle of one. And green grass? That just shows people dont care about the desert. What a waste of precious water. If they want green grass, send them someplace that has it naturally, not in the Sonoran Desert. I cant stand seeing people with green grass in their yards in AZ, drives me nuts.

Old 06-03-2007, 12:02 AM

2,201 posts, read 2,515,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyz911 View Post
How ya figure? The first 100 miles coming in from AlbQ is nothing but the sandy desert.

Old 06-03-2007, 12:08 AM

2,201 posts, read 2,515,257 times
I lived in Flag for a while. AZ has some very nice places and yes it is hot. I now live in MO and the summers here are much hotter than AZ because you sweat more due to the humidity. AZ has a dry, direct heat however. I moved mainly because the housing market is UNREAL. Also because, I missed living in an area with deep green grass, tumbling hills, tall thick trees. My yard in AZ was rock. My property value doubled when I moved from when I got it. I wonder what it is worth now!

Old 06-03-2007, 07:24 AM

39,076 posts, read 51,213,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsd353 View Post
I now live in MO and the summers here are much hotter than AZ because you sweat more due to the humidity.
Oh I don't want to hear that. I keep mulling a move to SW MO or NE OK so I can have close-by water recreation. I think you are right though. When I visit, this desert Zonie is downright miserable in your heat. Who would of thought one would want to move/stay in SW Arizona for more comfortable summers?

Old 06-03-2007, 11:47 AM

1,181 posts, read 3,806,956 times
I lived in Tucson for a few years, and am now in So Cal. I hope to move back to AZ in next year or two. The reasons I liked it were.
1. The sunsets-I have never seen more beautiful, colorful sunsets.
2. Beautiful rock formations everywhere
3. Mountain views
4. Hate rain (originally from Oregon)
5. Able to wear shorts almost year-round. Very hot in summer, but rest of year is awesome.
6. Much cheaper homes than where I am now (Cal)
7. Close to Sedona-which I think is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. Also love Oak Creek area.
8. The smell of the desert after a rain.
I could go on. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona