Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2010, 03:16 PM

12 posts, read 43,907 times

Advertisements

Just got back from my 1st trip to AZ and it is the most beautiful place I have ever seen. My family is moving to AZ this summer and we are going to put a MH on acreage. I was looking at neighborhoods in the Tucson area and I came across Benson and fell in love. I did a little research and found out that the school district is great too so that is a huge plus. However, the lots for sale seem to be few and far between. We want 10+ acres for livestock and horses and we can't find anything for a price that we can afford (St. David as well). I came across a BEAUTIFUL piece of property in Elfida just at the base of the Mountain. Can anyone tell me what the Elfrida school district is like. It rates high on the different school websites but personal opinions are important too. I would feel more comfortable living closer to town because of the illegal problems. Can anyone tell me if Elfrida has any problems with illegals. Also, any suggestions on towns that are similar to Benson, and in the same general area with good schools would be great. We aren't too picky, we just want decent schools and we would like to be close to town (for many reasons, 3 small children and illegals are a few). Thanks so much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2010, 08:09 PM

123 posts, read 348,542 times
Well . . . the illegals won't bother you, most of the time you won't even see them, at least that is how it is 25 miles up the road where we live. If your out in the boonies, they may poke around looking for water . . . or work for a meal . . .

Elfrida is a Ag town, not much for entertainment, they do have a school, but we don't have any children . . . but I'm a bus driver, and our (Pearce) school district sends our high school students down there, and their bus driver is not very safe!

Lots of kids live down there and do fine! Stop by and check out the area!

Old 02-26-2010, 08:32 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,223,234 times
Hey Threeps -

Yeah, it's pretty down there isn't it?
I liked the area around Elfrida as well - it's just a bit too remote for us (hence our decision to buy near Benson).

Here was a photo I previously posted that I found on the web of some property for sale near Elfrida that REALLY shows off the beauty of the area (it's especially nice when you click it to make it full-sized - WOW!). I know I showed it to you before but it's worth a second look in my opinion (and definitely worth it for those who've not yet seen it).

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...da-arizona.jpg

Regarding Benson - really glad you thought it was nice. I don't think the TOWN of Benson itself is particularly pretty - they could certainly do a lot more to add to it's charm by planting some trees downtown or playing up the western motif. It's not ugly. It's just sort of utilitarian (as many small towns in the west are). However, it has pretty much everything we need and the surrounding area is very pretty with (as you no doubt saw) ASTONISHING views off to the east across the San Pedro Valley. Overall - as I've said MANY times on this board - we REALLY love SE Arizona (and you sure as heck will have a hard time beating that fabulous climate). It's really an overlooked gem.

In an event, though I can't provide any insight on the Elfrida School District, I just wanted to congratulate you on your decision to move to the area. I don't think you'll be sorry. You'd certainly have a hard time finding better horse country.

Ken

Old 02-28-2010, 10:07 AM

206 posts, read 532,216 times
Hey Threeps, yes, Elfrida is a nice area, and much less expensive than the Benson area. I live about 25 miles south in Double Adobe. Illegals arn't a problem, as long as the property isn't in a corridor. Talk to some locals and ask if they are having problems and what the good areas are. Mike

Old 03-01-2010, 01:26 AM

123 posts, read 320,201 times
Elfrida-very clicky, decent land, tends to flood. Double adobe area- ok, but no one there is particularly friendly or helpful. Local law enforcement include over 10 agencies and they still can't keep the drugs and illegals out. Government agencies tend to be intrusive. Taxes used to be reasonable (2006). We have 2 very beloved friends there and used to have a small farm we developed but thats the only thing we loved about the area. Too bad we could not pick up the farm we worked so hard on there and moved it elsewhere.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:37 AM

FYI to Threeps -

Don't know if you've heard (or remember) the Benson Arizona song featured in the beginning of John Carpenters campy Dark Star film. If not, have a listen:

YouTube - Benson Arizona - Let's have some music in here

Ken

Old 03-05-2010, 04:11 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,252,600 times
Not a fan of Elfrida myself. Mike I lived in Double Adobe in '86. May I suggest Pierce Sunsites. The land runs around $4,000 per acre or less and there are several available in 10 and 20 acre parcels. There are a large number of companies who carry the contract with small downs.

Old 03-06-2010, 04:51 PM

206 posts, read 532,216 times
When you live in Pierce-Sunsites you are 30-40 miles from the closest supermarket, hospital, Walmart, gym, most shopping e.t.c. Double Adobe is only 9-10 miles from these ameneties and the prices are the same. Might as well do as little driving as possible.

Old 12-10-2014, 06:00 PM

13 posts, read 41,705 times
Hi Ken,
I'm enjoying your older posts on the town of Benson. My husband and I are seniors and are thinking of a move to Benson. We do have a couple of concerns re: train noise and illegals. What may we expect? Does the train keep everyone awake during the night, and also what is to be expected with illegals in the area? Are there many and often? Thanks for reading. Nancy

Old 12-10-2014, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movin-again View Post
Hi Ken,
I'm enjoying your older posts on the town of Benson. My husband and I are seniors and are thinking of a move to Benson. We do have a couple of concerns re: train noise and illegals. What may we expect? Does the train keep everyone awake during the night, and also what is to be expected with illegals in the area? Are there many and often? Thanks for reading. Nancy
Train noise IS a problem in the main core of Benson - though you DO get used to it. If you really want to avoid the noise though there's lots of places to live in the Benson area that don't get much (if any) train noise at all. Our property up at J-Six has essentially zero train noise. Once and a while we have a bit of noise from I-10 but only when the wind is from the north (and even then it's very distant-sounding). If we were a block further south we probably wouldn't hear it at all.
Illegals are not really much of a problem in Benson. In fact, the whole "SE Arizona is a war zone because of illegals" is essentially BS. Illegals CAN be a problem in SOME areas, but by and large, SE Arizona is VERY SAFE. I feel wayyyyyyyy safer here in Benson than I EVER felt up in Seattle - and the crime statistics for the town back that feeling up. In fact, the general crime statistics for most of the towns in SE Arizona are lower than the national average - and Benson is no exception.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona