U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-12-2010, 01:07 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,316,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyisLost View Post
Interesting.. Checking some areas in Oregon now. I like the sound of windsurfing, I'm a big water sports fan
Thanks for the reply
J
Well, if you're into watersports, then Oregon (at least in the summertime) is the place to be.
Anywhere on the western slopes of the Cascade mountains is going to have plenty of water related activities. It just depends on what you prefer. If you're into windsurfing, sailboarding and things like that, then the undisputed king of spots is just east of Portland on the Columbia river. The city of Hood River is where those sports got their start. Hood River is about an hour east of Portland and is located in the Columbia Gorge. It get windy there. Really windy so that's why they came up with those kinds of sports. The Columbia River also has excellent fishing and water skiing oportunities.
The Willamette River also goes thru Portland on it's way to the Columbia. Another great fishery and watersports area right on the downtown park in central Portland.
There are plenty of lakes around Portland as well.
If you are into parasailing and windsurfing, check out any city along the coast. Astoria, Newport, Lincoln City, Florence, Coos Bay, Bandon and Brookings. All pretty small towns so the nightlife might be a bit slow for you but something to think about.
Since I don't know much about what you're looking for, here is a short list of places to check out but from what you have said, at this point, I'd say that Portland is probably the place that would suit your needs.
For other places to check out, just look at the cities that are on I-5 going south from Portland. There is Salem, Eugene, Roseburg, Grants Pass, Medford, Ashland and lots of small town in between.
East of the Cascade mountain range there isn't much out there other than Bend Oregon or Klamath Falls. Mainly high desert and probably not much for you to do compared to Portland.
Wow, can you tell I don't have much going on today???? lol. Sorry this is so long. I suppose it's time to end this so I'll wish you good luck and if you need any information on anything, just let me know.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 01:35 PM

6,352 posts, read 10,507,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
If you're into windsurfing, sailboarding and things like that, then the undisputed king of spots is just east of Portland on the Columbia river. The city of Hood River is where those sports got their start.
Sorry, not true. While it's true that Hood River is an excellent place to windsurf, it most certainly didn't get its start there. A bit of history can be found here: Windsurfing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I also wouldn't call it the "undisputed king of spots" either. There are many excellent places to windsurf in the world, many of which have more consistent wind, waves, and year-round sailing than the Gorge. I will say the Gorge does get some of the most intensive winds I've ever seen though.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:49 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,316,143 times
I stand corrected but the original idea is sound. While I don't personally care much for Portland or the surrounding area, it sounds like a good fit for the OP if he wants to spend a summer in a beautiful place with plenty of things to do, water related or otherwise. Lots of clubs and cool things to do in downtown Portland for a guy in his 20's.
Come late September though, THE RAINS BEGIN....

Old 03-12-2010, 05:34 PM

10 posts, read 13,127 times
Quote:
Well, if you're into watersports, then Oregon (at least in the summertime) is the place to be.
Anywhere on the western slopes of the Cascade mountains is going to have plenty of water related activities. It just depends on what you prefer. If you're into windsurfing, sailboarding and things like that, then the undisputed king of spots is just east of Portland on the Columbia river. The city of Hood River is where those sports got their start. Hood River is about an hour east of Portland and is located in the Columbia Gorge. It get windy there. Really windy so that's why they came up with those kinds of sports. The Columbia River also has excellent fishing and water skiing oportunities.
The Willamette River also goes thru Portland on it's way to the Columbia. Another great fishery and watersports area right on the downtown park in central Portland.
There are plenty of lakes around Portland as well.
If you are into parasailing and windsurfing, check out any city along the coast. Astoria, Newport, Lincoln City, Florence, Coos Bay, Bandon and Brookings. All pretty small towns so the nightlife might be a bit slow for you but something to think about.
Since I don't know much about what you're looking for, here is a short list of places to check out but from what you have said, at this point, I'd say that Portland is probably the place that would suit your needs.
For other places to check out, just look at the cities that are on I-5 going south from Portland. There is Salem, Eugene, Roseburg, Grants Pass, Medford, Ashland and lots of small town in between.
East of the Cascade mountain range there isn't much out there other than Bend Oregon or Klamath Falls. Mainly high desert and probably not much for you to do compared to Portland.
Wow, can you tell I don't have much going on today???? lol. Sorry this is so long. I suppose it's time to end this so I'll wish you good luck and if you need any information on anything, just let me know.
Hawaii is better - More water! But pretty scarey there if you don't stick to the tourist spots.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:41 PM

2,166 posts, read 2,205,363 times
I recommend New England, the Northeast, or the Mid Atlantic for summer. Can't beat the Lake Erie corridor (Erie, PA is a GREAT place to spend a summer) and Pennsylvania IMO!

Old 03-13-2010, 03:28 AM

14 posts, read 20,613 times
Quote:
I had no idea Oregon had so much to offer, it's not a place many people even know about here in England. Checking out the places you mentioned as we speak, thanks!

Old 03-13-2010, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xizzi View Post
Hawaii is better - More water! But pretty scarey there if you don't stick to the tourist spots.
Hawaii would be awesome, but I don't think I can do it on my budget. Even studio apartments seem pretty expensive (close to the beaches). And I heard groceries are a lot too, where they have to be transported from the mainland

Old 03-13-2010, 04:28 AM

8,267 posts, read 8,009,632 times
Believe me, I've hunted for places to live all around the country, and for $500 a month you'd be better off renting a furnished room in a private home. Have you considered that option? Also, there are sites from travelers like this that might interest you.

The people who are suggesting Chicago must be thinking of an area where there are drive-by shootings. I worked for a company based in Chicago for over 20 years and visited the city often. Even 15 years ago, $500 wouldn't cover a studio apartment in a safe neighborhood.

Depending on your interests, I'd suggest the Boston/Cambridge area. There is a lot of public transportation. Still, a small apartment will cost you at least $1,200 in a nice area. Again, you might want to consider my above suggestion. If you rent your own place, you will have to pay for utilities and most companies require a deposit. I'm from Boston and even back in the 80s, I had a hard time finding a rental for under $600.

Most unfurnished rentals have leases and require a security deposit. Because of the economy, some property owners are only asking for 2 months in advance, but they used to want 3 (first, last & security) I was very surprised to see a poster mention Oregon, since it's one of the most expensive places I've found. Yes, it is beautiful, but a temporary rental will cost you much more than $500.

Unless you like intense heat & humidity, don't pick Florida in the summer, although we have beautiful beaches and it's the off-season so the prices are low, but $500 a month is still low for a short term rental anywhere. I am paying that much for a room in a house. I found it on Craig's List, but you need to be very careful.

Asheville NC is very beautiful, but the cheapest place I could find was $300 a week for a 1 bedroom. I'm not trying to discourage you at all, but you need to look for a room with a bath, not a private apartment. $200 a month for food is fine if you don't dine out. Just eat a lot of rice & beans or pasta.

Good luck. I hope you make the trip & enjoy your stay.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundball View Post
if you're willing to by a cheap car $500-$1000 for a few months to get around. !
Hey again,

A quick question if you're still reading this,
I checked Autotrader and there are indeed some decent looking cars for just $500. But I wondered what other costs are involved? (besides gas obviously)
Here in england we have to pay Road Tax, Insurance, and an MOT (to make sure the car is roadworthy)
Thanks for your help,
J

Old 03-13-2010, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Believe me, I've hunted for places to live all around the country, and for $500 a month you'd be better off renting a furnished room in a private home. Have you considered that option? Also, there are sites from travelers like this that might interest you.

The people who are suggesting Chicago must be thinking of an area where there are drive-by shootings. I worked for a company based in Chicago for over 20 years and visited the city often. Even 15 years ago, $500 wouldn't cover a studio apartment in a safe neighborhood.

Depending on your interests, I'd suggest the Boston/Cambridge area. There is a lot of public transportation. Still, a small apartment will cost you at least $1,200 in a nice area. Again, you might want to consider my above suggestion. If you rent your own place, you will have to pay for utilities and most companies require a deposit. I'm from Boston and even back in the 80s, I had a hard time finding a rental for under $600.

Most unfurnished rentals have leases and require a security deposit. Because of the economy, some property owners are only asking for 2 months in advance, but they used to want 3 (first, last & security) I was very surprised to see a poster mention Oregon, since it's one of the most expensive places I've found. Yes, it is beautiful, but a temporary rental will cost you much more than $500.

Unless you like intense heat & humidity, don't pick Florida in the summer, although we have beautiful beaches and it's the off-season so the prices are low, but $500 a month is still low for a short term rental anywhere. I am paying that much for a room in a house. I found it on Craig's List, but you need to be very careful.

Asheville NC is very beautiful, but the cheapest place I could find was $300 a week for a 1 bedroom. I'm not trying to discourage you at all, but you need to look for a room with a bath, not a private apartment. $200 a month for food is fine if you don't dine out. Just eat a lot of rice & beans or pasta.

Good luck. I hope you make the trip & enjoy your stay.
Thanks for the advice.
You're right, most of the apartments I'm seeing in this price range look pretty shabby (even in the clever real estate shots) And there's very little information given about the area.
I'm now considering renting a room in a shared property. This opens up a lot more area's to me, I'm finding nice looking, furnished places in Orange County by the beach for just $500/month
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona