Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 06:45 AM

4,563 posts, read 4,100,992 times

Advertisements

If you bike to work it is a bit of an inconvenience. I liked biking to my job (I worked 3rd shift 12 hours 7p-7:30a) but because the sun was going down by 6:30-7:00 almost year round, I found the roads to be a death trap. by the time I got out and biked to work, it was already blazing hot out.
If the sun rose an hour earlier and set an hour later I would have had a better ride home and a safer ride to work.

Additionally, I don't see the point of the sun being up at 4:30-4:45 in the morning and setting at 7:30 at night. Maybe it would make sense if work and school started later and you had more time in the morning to get things done. It doesn't work that way though.

I understand the idea of you can decide when you sleep or not. Its a partial truth. Noise from the neighbors, light and heat (you can only waste so much money on A/C) kept me awake all the time. When I didn't work nights, the sun would wake me up all the time, not matter what I tried. I felt like Al Pacino in Insomnia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 10:07 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 123.DieselBenz View Post
I think DST is a joke! If somebody wants to get up early or late, that is thier decission . . . and what alarm clocks are for, people should also be able to set thier own time to go to bed!

I don't like DST, and I like living in AZ where they do not observe it. I believe HI does not either!
I agree the entire thing is a joke, although in California I do like having more day light at the end of the day. I see the point though with Arizona not wanting any more sun at the end of the day. In Hawaii they are so close to the equator that the state has 12 hours of sun light a day. No reason to change things there. Not sure about Alaska, but I would bet that they don't have a need or want for it either. Too far North to care.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:29 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,849,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I agree the entire thing is a joke, although in California I do like having more day light at the end of the day. I see the point though with Arizona not wanting any more sun at the end of the day. In Hawaii they are so close to the equator that the state has 12 hours of sun light a day. No reason to change things there. Not sure about Alaska, but I would bet that they don't have a need or want for it either. Too far North to care.
Alaska has it and why I have no clue....it daylight or dusk for months in most of AK...doesn't make a lot of sense there either....you go to bed with light, get up with light...I remember a couple years ago when I had a 4-year-old granddaughter up there for the 'summer' when she came in May it was light pretty much all night (no need for a nightlight at all), she adjusted, then in August she woke up in the middle of the night crying "Gramma it's dark." Yup...

Old 03-22-2010, 02:03 AM

172 posts, read 476,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
If you bike to work it is a bit of an inconvenience. I liked biking to my job (I worked 3rd shift 12 hours 7p-7:30a) but because the sun was going down by 6:30-7:00 almost year round, I found the roads to be a death trap. by the time I got out and biked to work, it was already blazing hot out.
If the sun rose an hour earlier and set an hour later I would have had a better ride home and a safer ride to work.

Additionally, I don't see the point of the sun being up at 4:30-4:45 in the morning and setting at 7:30 at night. .
Wait ... 3 shifts? Day's 36 hours now? Well, that wouldn't be the worst thing, if you could hang around for the same number of years, I guess!

I'm enjoying this thread because it's upside-down from how the rest of the country lives. Dreading summer and the long days! Many of us live for those few months when it tops 80 most of the time ... and I'm looking forward to some of that (whenever the heck the sun goes down) when I get to Tucson later this week.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:55 AM

1,465 posts, read 4,575,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith talent View Post
Wait ... 3 shifts? Day's 36 hours now? Well, that wouldn't be the worst thing, if you could hang around for the same number of years, I guess!
3rd shift is the graveyard shift. It's the less....morbid way of putting things. Doesn't matter if they work 8 hours or 12 hours or more, it's still 3rd shift.

Old 06-26-2014, 01:34 AM

4,658 posts, read 3,656,725 times
Maybe for AZ DST worse the energy saving because of extended evening A/C use, and who need 8pm daylight (for kids be playing out, especially) with 100s even 110s heat?

Old 06-26-2014, 02:29 PM

966 posts, read 1,346,137 times
as others said, set your own clock to when you want to get up, as for me, all my clocks keep perfect time all year long and never have to be reset, unlike most of the country. They must be getting all the factory 2nds...

Old 06-26-2014, 08:29 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,725,641 times
Love not having to switch my clocks twice a year!

Old 06-27-2014, 09:01 AM

487 posts, read 748,564 times
No debate on whether AZ should do it or not, but the clock setting isn't nearly the trouble it was years ago. Almost all of my devices reset themselves to DST and back without my help. There are a couple of wall clocks that I have to fuss with, but it's minor.

Old 06-28-2014, 01:01 AM

3,328 posts, read 2,271,037 times
I'm originally from California and I'd always forget when to set the clock ahead/back, so I'd be early/late.

I've only visited Alaska but two of those trips were when they went on ADST time and I lost an hour's vacation (waaaaaaaaaah--there's a whine for ya! )

I've lived in Arizona for 24+ years now, and haven't missed DST at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: