Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 06:56 AM

923 posts, read 1,429,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonapatriot View Post
I meant to express that comment about young teenagers in and out of the family.
What you don't understand is that as long as it's kept illegal, there will be a black market. Dealers don't ask for ID. If it were to be legalized, it would be regulated and sold to adults over a certain age. Ask any kid what's easier for him to get, cigarettes, alcohol or pot. The answer is always pot. Don't you think it's better to have regulations on it then have it being sold in every schoolyard and playground?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 07:14 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,816,953 times
Quote:
Would anyone here not mind if "a friend" came by your place and got little johnny stoned?
Darn straight, I'd mind. I don't believe in giving school-age kids access to pot, alcohol, tobacco, or even caffeine. Coming from CA, I've met a lot of pot smokers there, and I've never, ever, seen any parent give pot to a kid.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:28 AM

314 posts, read 924,177 times
Quote:
Iam very glad drug testing for jobs is in force at least. I think it should also be a requirement for those receiving welfare participate. Now there's something to talk about!
Absolutely! ANY illegal drug in your system is grounds for termination where I work, and this is as it should be!

Old 06-23-2010, 07:32 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,993,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NcalBiker View Post
Up front. I am against this 100%. I grew up in Eureka, CA. (pot capitol of CA) Lived there for 49 years, and watched the results of growers destroying both private and public property. I've watched as people that I grew up with merge into smoking pot as an escape from the reality of life. I have watched as people I knew move to stronger forms of pot, as in hash just to get the same high they used to get smoking shake. It takes over your life, just like booze does. Don't fall for this legalization scam. The vast majority of the people that have their 420 card, are so called recreational users scamming the system. Fact! I know that this is going to generate hate mail, but remember this, I don't care. I no longer live there, and no longer have ties there. As far as I am concerned, California can fall off into the ocean, and hopefully will soon. The government has taken our fishing away from us, our rights to harvest timber on our own "private" land, water from our streams and rivers have been diverted taking water for use in Southern Cal. without any concern for the drought the North end of the state is going through. Now, they want to legalize the growing and recreational use of pot. Just wait and watch what happens. The price will go sky high until the commercial farms get geared up for production, and then, crash. The laws of supply and demand. As for me, I value my job more than I do a joint, or what the price of an ounce, gram, eighth, or lid is, was or will be. On the other hand, go ahead, smoke to your hearts content. It will make good work for the hospitals, tow truck drivers, and anyone that decides not to. The jobless rate will increase for a short time, and then the straight people will have an easier time finding work. Nobody will want to hire a stonner. Would you want someone that wreaks of pot smoke serving your lunch? Oops, maybe you would. Not me. It's a choice people. Reality, or not. Drug induced or not. Your choice.
I've had several friends in the Fortuna area for years and know what you say is true. During the 70's-80's I watched pot grab friends by the butt and take over their lives. Now it may not be a physical addiction but is a mental addiction any better or easier to break? I've also seen it as a gateway drug with everyone I know that used.
I like others don't care if you use but at least be honest, it isn't for medical reasons for most who support the medical MJ laws and I DO resent the people who're afflicted with a medical condition being USED as pawns in this.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:46 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,993,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Darn straight, I'd mind. I don't believe in giving school-age kids access to pot, alcohol, tobacco, or even caffeine. Coming from CA, I've met a lot of pot smokers there, and I've never, ever, seen any parent give pot to a kid.
I have, my friends mom used to smoke with us and supply the good stuff!!! As I got older I've seen several of my more hippieish friends inbibe with their kids. I guess it was a CA thing...
Here's a good example of watch out what you ask for.... In MT they legalized MJ not too many months ago. Now I'm told by friends who are at U of M in Missoula you can't walk across the quad without being in pot clouds for most of your walk. Now these are places where you can't walk with a drink in your hand or be under the influence of alchohol (legally) but now you can toke up wherever... What about age restrictions? I beleive in most/many states it's 18 right? But for alchohol it's 21.
I don't want to get into the argument over drinking age but why would/should the ages be different since one argument for pot is "it's no worse than drinking"?...

Old 06-23-2010, 08:44 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,817,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitem3 View Post
What you don't understand is that as long as it's kept illegal, there will be a black market. Dealers don't ask for ID. If it were to be legalized, it would be regulated and sold to adults over a certain age. Ask any kid what's easier for him to get, cigarettes, alcohol or pot. The answer is always pot. Don't you think it's better to have regulations on it then have it being sold in every schoolyard and playground?
so you think that if MJ is made legal that the black market will magically disappear? you dont think that kids will still get a hold of MJ, along with a number of other drugs? it is easy for them to get alcohol also(trust me i have had to deal with it in places that i have worked). just because something is made legal doesnt mean the black market goes away. alcohol has been legal for decades now, and yet there is still a thriving black market for moonshine. dont kid yourself, if MJ is made legal it will actually be easier for kids to get a hold of it.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:06 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,816,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I've had several friends in the Fortuna area for years and know what you say is true. During the 70's-80's I watched pot grab friends by the butt and take over their lives. Now it may not be a physical addiction but is a mental addiction any better or easier to break? I've also seen it as a gateway drug with everyone I know that used.
I like others don't care if you use but at least be honest, it isn't for medical reasons for most who support the medical MJ laws and I DO resent the people who're afflicted with a medical condition being USED as pawns in this.
I agree with the medical MJ issue, and if you noticed, I never mentioned it.

However, this business about "pot grabbing friends by the butt" and mental addictions, well sorry, that's not flying with me. Did it grab you by the butt? No. And it hasn't grabbed most people either. I think you would agree with that. So evidently it's not the drug, it's the person. If somebody is predisposed to grow up being a loser, they're going to do it with or without pot. Pot is the symptom, not the disease.

Oh, and a parent smoking pot with their kids is child abuse, as it would be with drinking alcohol. If their kids were screwed up in life after that, then blame it on the parents. You can bet that's not the only shortcoming in their upbringing.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
so you think that if MJ is made legal that the black market will magically disappear? you dont think that kids will still get a hold of MJ, along with a number of other drugs? it is easy for them to get alcohol also(trust me i have had to deal with it in places that i have worked). just because something is made legal doesnt mean the black market goes away. alcohol has been legal for decades now, and yet there is still a thriving black market for moonshine. dont kid yourself, if MJ is made legal it will actually be easier for kids to get a hold of it.
No, I don't think it will magically disappear but it will slowly dry up. It has to be better then the system now. As far as a thriving black market for alcohol, you're going to have to substantiate that claim. I can't find anything on a black market for alcohol and I highly doubt there is one.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:57 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,817,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitem3 View Post
No, I don't think it will magically disappear but it will slowly dry up. It has to be better then the system now. As far as a thriving black market for alcohol, you're going to have to substantiate that claim. I can't find anything on a black market for alcohol and I highly doubt there is one.
then you havent been in the south where moonshine running was a way of life, and still is for some.

Old 06-23-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
then you havent been in the south where moonshine running was a way of life, and still is for some.
I thought you were talking about nowadays. I know it was big way back when but you said there's a thriving black market. A couple moonshiners in the hills is not my idea of a thriving black market. http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3... (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: