Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 03:13 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times

Advertisements

[quote=AZDesertBrat;14179170]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
How many families do you know that have lots of kids and a mom and dad at home that are running to the government for help? I would bet it is the single mom with a lot of kids that have differant dads that are doing that. What is needed is to shut off the spicket and tell them that the benefits to having kids outside of marriage is gone. I can bet for the most part that those that are married are taking care of their own. What do you all think?[/quote]

I don't know what your post has to do with the governor's race, etc. but I think you are painting a lot of people with a broad brush by making that statement. You are assuming an awful lot.
Sorry, let me make my post more clear. I was commenting on what Valley Native said in post 20 of this thread regarding having kids. Forgive me for not making that clear, I mess up from time to time in thinking everyone is following my line of thinking. I for one have 6 kids and a wife. We have never run to the government for any help in raising our kids or asking anyone else to assist us. Many of my friends that also have kids, some with as many kids as us or even more have never gone to the government for help. Most people that I have met that have large families where both parants are at home have never gone to the government for help. On the other hand I have met many women that have a few or as many kids as we have and more of them seem to run to the government for help. Not sure how what I have helps or not, what I do know is that it seems to add to what Valley Native mentioned in post #20.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 04:59 PM

220 posts, read 411,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And there is prejudice against (mostly Hispanic) illegal aliens now? If a Mx national murdered Arpaio...........suffice to say: I would not want to be a stereotypical Latino (or resemble one) in this state.

Wow, here we have an open threat to a particular group of people. Would you feel the same if a 'stereotypical white person' murdered Apaio?

What if your hero Arpaio choked on a taco? Would you attack a tortilla factory?

Get a grip.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:10 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
[quote=SOON2BNSURPRISE;14179403]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Sorry, let me make my post more clear. I was commenting on what Valley Native said in post 20 of this thread regarding having kids. Forgive me for not making that clear, I mess up from time to time in thinking everyone is following my line of thinking. I for one have 6 kids and a wife. We have never run to the government for any help in raising our kids or asking anyone else to assist us. Many of my friends that also have kids, some with as many kids as us or even more have never gone to the government for help. Most people that I have met that have large families where both parants are at home have never gone to the government for help. On the other hand I have met many women that have a few or as many kids as we have and more of them seem to run to the government for help. Not sure how what I have helps or not, what I do know is that it seems to add to what Valley Native mentioned in post #20.
Okay, I went back and read it so I can see where it would get off topic. I could probably help to explain some things but that would be off topic so I can't. I can understand why some women have to ask for help though...

Old 05-14-2010, 07:05 PM

197 posts, read 392,892 times
I believe that once the sales tax vote is completed on Tuesday, more focus will turn on the Governor's race.

Old 05-14-2010, 09:23 PM

86 posts, read 259,367 times
It will be an interesting race...just starting to see the political signs popping up at the side of the roads and on every street corner (of course, they all blow away during the monsoon in August)

Jan Brewer has held many positions within the AZ State Gov't. She didn't want to implement a sales tax increase, but she says she has a back-up plan if Prop100 doesn't pass.

In the mid-90's, she was the chairman of the County Board of Supervisors for six years. She inherited a debt of $165 million, and by the end of 2002, she left Maricopa County in one of the strongest financial positions of any county in the nation! The Governing Magazine proclaimed Maricopa County as “one of the two best managed large counties in the nation".

The budget and illegal immigration will be the big issues.

I don't think Goddard stands a chance against the Republican candidate.

Old 05-22-2010, 11:32 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,518,435 times
"The State is Broke but that won't Keep Brewer and Martin from Gobbling up Public Money to Run for Office"

what are they thinking

News From Buz Mills For Arizona Governor 2010

Old 06-07-2010, 11:18 PM

Well Munger is out and it looks like some heat between
Goddard & Brewer

Old 06-08-2010, 12:23 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
Brewer was never a favorite of mine at first ... however, she has since proven that she is worthy to be elected back into the Governor's seat. Although there is huge controversy over SB 1070, and there are some legitimate concerns, I think Brewer did the right thing by signing it into law. It at least showed strength on her part to crack down on the problem of illegal immigration ... whereas the previous Governor and most politicans in D.C. just sat on their hands.

What really made me look up to Brewer was the way she allowed the freeway photo radar camera program to expire as of next month. I think even the supporters of the speed cameras knew all along that it was purely a revenue generating scheme ... and now that there's proof that the cameras didn't even live up to the state's expectations of bringing in money, there's no need to keep them around. Thank you, Jan Brewer. Keep up the good work, and you will earn my vote in the upcoming election!

Old 06-08-2010, 11:34 PM

How about Martins idea

Dean Martin Calls for Troops on Border, Tent City (http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/news/immigration/apx_martin_troops_border_tent_city_06082010 - broken link)

Old 06-09-2010, 01:48 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
It's more than just the tax increase. I don't know what you mean about "endless spending", given current state budget constraints. It's her general inability to work with a Legislature with a majority of her own party on anything of consequence, some of the stupid stuff she says in public, and, well, when all's said and done, she's the Peter Principle in action.

There's a reason why there's a CROWD in the Republican primary already. In her case, being the incumbent means nothing.
People spend all day complaining about our state's failure to spend in this budget crisis to which most of that blame was placed on the Governor. Now that she supported a proposition to raise the sales tax to offset this, now you people are attacking her for raising taxes...WHICH IS IT?

And another thing, what exactly is the Governor doing that other Republicans in the state are opposed to(aside from prop 101)? The answer.....nothing!! She has been nearly unilateral with her conservatism.

People are running against not because they disagree with the job she is doing but the fact that she lacks experience and is seen as someone they can win against. She inherited the position, she wasn't voted to the governorship so a lot of her fellow Republicans know they can beat her in an election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona