Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2010, 01:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,586 times

Advertisements

I am considering a job in the Kingman, AZ area and would like to know what people think of it. I have a few questions:

1. How diverse is Kingman? My family is multi-racial (black/white), would my kids have problems just b/c they are "different"??

2. What are some bigger surrounding cities??

3. Where does everyone shop? Are there big box retailers close?

4. What type of employment opportunities are there for manufacturing??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 05:39 PM

21,144 posts, read 41,993,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by family95 View Post
I am considering a job in the Kingman, AZ area and would like to know what people think of it. I have a few questions:

1. How diverse is Kingman? My family is multi-racial (black/white), would my kids have problems just b/c they are "different"??
Kingman is about 90% NON Hispanic White........with very few Black people.

Quote:
2. What are some bigger surrounding cities??
Bullhead City and Lake Havasu City

Quote:
3. Where does everyone shop? Are there big box retailers close?
Wal-Mart is pretty much it although there is a Target in BHC (40 odd miles away)

Quote:
4. What type of employment opportunities are there for manufacturing??
There is some light industry near the Kingman airport.

In all fairness; I no longer live in Mohave County (been gone since 2006) so my info is sketchy at best.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:55 PM

13,155 posts, read 21,689,668 times
There are some black folks in town that we see around. There are also mulatto kids in our kids elementary school, in addition to a score of different ethnicities like Chinese, Arabic, Mexican, American Indian, etc. As near as I can tell, at least at the elementary school level, kids are color blind. That is, kids seem to pay absolutely no attention to something as trivial as a person's color. I can't speak for the entire town, and anybody who thinks they can is delusional. But I can tell you in the neighborhoods with which I am familiar, you would be entirely welcome and treated just like everyone else.

There's a fair amount of industry in town. In addition to several light industries at the airport alluded to by ArizonaBear, we have a cabinet factory, steel mill, chemical plant, cement block factory, Chrysler Proving Ground, Harley Proving Ground, a couple of cement plants, and who-know-what else.

In addition to the towns Bear mentioned, you of course also have Las Vegas 90 miles away, plus Flagstaff about 120 miles away.

In town we have Walmart, Home Depot, KMart, Sears (a small one), Staples, Petco, etc. In Bullhead and Havasu you have Target, Lowes, Sams Club. Of course in Vegas you have everything imaginable.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:50 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,443,616 times
Whoops cannot forget our small jc pennys store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona