U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-14-2010, 10:10 PM

672 posts, read 1,012,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodneighbor1234 View Post
True. But, how do you repair the damage done to Arizona's reputation. City after city are declaring themselves against SB 1070.

The Republican Party choose Tampa over Phoenix for the GOP National Convention. Don't fool yourself, it had everything to do with SB 1070.

Forty thousand visitors and one hundred million dollars of revenue.

Visitors and money that would have helped Arizona's economy.
Arizona's reputation is soaring with people whose opinion I value.

When you say, "city after city are declaring themselves against SB 1070," what you actually mean is "members of city councils are declaring themselves against SB 1070." Big difference. I don't recall any public referendums passing to condemn the state of Arizona. Every poll I've seen shows that American citizens support the actions of the elected government of Arizona by a very wide margin. You can't deny this.

I don't really care about Tampa getting the convention site and as a Republican, I support that action. It's a better tactical decision as it takes the convention to a swing state instead of one that's solidly Republican. That happens every year, the parties make their decisions on how the site location will benefit the vote, it's not a referendum on local politics. To think otherwise is naive.

From the hundreds of postings on the Internet on the issue, we're getting a lot of other visitors who are deciding to travel to Arizona instead of Los Angeles this summer, and they are very welcome. I spent the last couple of weeks in hotels around southern and northern Arizona, my informal poll of the desk clerks told me that except for two who said they had planned to make a reservation but hadn't, they weren't aware of any cancellatons over SB 1070 (just the normal cancellations that are a part of normal hotel business) but each clerk told me they had received reservations and inquiries from people saying they were planning trips to Arizona in support of the state's actions.

Don't forget: In addition to Copper, Citrus, Cattle, Climate, and Cotton, the unstated 6th C of Arizona is "Coots" - retired people. Old people come here reliably each year, they're not going to avoid the state because of this and more will come if they feel safer. Look at old threads on this site to see how many potential tourists and visitors were afraid to come because of the (overstated) concern over all the drophouses making Phoenix the "Kidnapping Capitol of America." A perceived climate of greater safety will encourage more tourism and conventions in the long run.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:55 PM

90 posts, read 100,401 times
Quote:
Don't forget: In addition to Copper, Citrus, Cattle, Climate, and Cotton, the unstated 6th C of Arizona is "Coots" - retired people. Old people come here reliably each year, they're not going to avoid the state because of this and more will come if they feel safer. Look at old threads on this site to see how many potential tourists and visitors were afraid to come because of the (overstated) concern over all the drophouses making Phoenix the "Kidnapping Capitol of America." A perceived climate of greater safety will encourage more tourism and conventions in the long run.
Yep. Also, think of the poor Mexican national. Exploited here and in Mexico.. by our greedy corporations: CPI •Â*Co-Production International and: What are Maquiladoras? Find out at Made in Mexico, Inc. also:
YouTube - Maquilapolis (City of Factories)

I guess those.. 'off-shored' jobs that once supported US families won't find much comfort in knowing we will do our best to admit as many immigrants as possible. I do mean immigrants - not illegal aliens. 'Undocumented' - is hooey. Try, for example, to obtain an 'undocumented' loan at the bank..

At any rate, Mexico is a very wealthy country. It is rich in natural resources and wonderful beaches too. If the poor, cheated Mexicans could rise up and topple the plutocracy ripping them off.. think..! How wonderful Mexico would be. We might even have super freeways all the way (eventually) down into Central & South America.. as we should have years & years ago.

How scenic the drive down to Rio...

Old 05-14-2010, 11:13 PM

220 posts, read 206,388 times
Salt Lake could benefit from Arizona boycott

http://www.abc4.com/content/news/slc...S6KePQhGw.cspx
Last Update: 6:47 pm

"SALT LAKE CITY (ABC 4 News) - The state of Utah could benefit from boycotts against Arizona's new anti-immigration law.
Several business groups that had planned on conventions in Arizona have instead decided to move their venue to Salt Lake.
The Salt Lake Convention and Visitors' Bureau says the new business could pump a million dollars into the local economy."

Just thought you should know what your neighbor to the north is doing with the boycott.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:06 AM

Location: In an alternate universe according to some, AKA Aspergers
10,219 posts, read 10,881,226 times
And lets not forget the Hypocrite Mexican Pres. is now going to protest.
Maybe Mexico will boycott AZ, wouldn't that be great?!
Hmmm, AZ law is unfair but theirs isn't?
Just get caught without "papers" in Mexico.. Wonder why no one is asking him THAT question?

Ya know, what I've not heard anyone mention yet is the fact that Mexico has one thing we need/want.... OIL!!
Why does it seem that every country we've got a problem with, pander to or just plain try to take over has one thing in common?????

Last edited by jimj; 05-15-2010 at 06:33 AM..

Old 05-15-2010, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
That this country's government doesn't have a workable fair and self-serving immigration law is beyond mindboggling. Yet not so much when one considers how political advantage holds sway over national interests.

Immigration law has to be realigned according to the needs of the country. When immigrants flowed in during the early 20th centuty there was a need to be met. Now there are also needs and those needs are the highly skilled brainpower around the world. Brainpower that is going elsewhere because we deny visas. But we allow open borders for the unskilled and poor.

You don't wait until immigrants arrive to determine where they fit in. You make that determination before they come. It is nuts and a self-inflicted wound. Nothing against the individual who wants a better life. Nothing against some manual laborers who have employment lined up coming in. But coming in as families ready to settle and make a new life. Not to sit around in large groups of unattached males with no real ties to this country. Not to work under the table and take jobs from citizens--and yes--they are doing that.

As for anchor babies--I believe the constitutional provision calls for citizehship for those born in the US and UNDER THE JURISDICTION THEREOF. Are illegals under the jurisdiction thereof? Do you think the founding fathers anticipated someone from Pakistan or Norway or Bolivia or whereever flying through an airport, giving birth, and going home only to have that child claim American citizenship and not have to go through the naturalization process after being reared and educated in a foreign land?
They DO have a workable, self serving law. The problem is no law will work if it's not enforced.
As has been said many times, it'd take a one page addendum to fix the issue. Hit the employers HARD for hiring 'em and that'd be the end.

Buisness wants cheap labor to raise the bottom line, pols want generally liberal voters via immigrants, churches was the pews filled and the citizens get the shaft.

Ya know, what I've not heard anyone mention yet is the fact that Mexico has one thing we need/want.... OIL!!
Why does it seem that every country we've got a problem with, pander to or just plain try to take over has one thing in common?????

Last edited by jimj; 05-15-2010 at 06:27 AM..

Old 05-15-2010, 06:32 AM

First, who (other than the media) really cares what a morrally and fiscally bankrupt state/city say?
I mean seriously, they can't control their own budget,police,schools,streets etc so it's funny how they position themselves as the "moral athority" on any issue.
On another note,

Old 05-15-2010, 06:36 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,036,289 times
The last thing I want is to be associated with tea partiers!

Old 05-15-2010, 07:15 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,036,289 times
I would love to see Mexico boycott the U.S. but I would hate giving up trips to Rocky Point.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:27 AM

2,191 posts, read 3,610,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho Zarape View Post
Encouraged by the news that at least twelve states plan to follow Arizona's lead by cracking down on illegal immigration with versions of SB 1070, organizers with Voice of the People USA and Tea Party Patriots Live are announcing historic mega rallies in Phoenix Arizona and around the nation this June 5 through June 12 accompanied by Americans shopping in Arizona to counter any boycotts.
I'm perplexed. Aren't Arizonians Americans? Or can you only be an American if you "belong" to the "Tea Party"? Or are the rest of us only americans with the small 'a'?

Old 05-15-2010, 11:25 AM

492 posts, read 722,785 times
I think it's so hypocritical when people declare Arizona to be immoral but then support a boycott that will harm many innocent people. We should all be applauding Arizona for putting the needs of their legal residents ahead of law breaking illegals who drain on the limited funds of the country and the individual states. All of us in favor of Arizona's law should make sure to support Arizona based businesses and Arizona tourism. It is unbelievable that during such hard economic times, anyone would purposely try to make a fellow state suffer economically any more than we all already have. I am a native Californian (moving back to CA in 2 months), raised in a very liberal family, and certainly not racist like some people in support of AZ's law have been accused of (my best friend is Mexican, fiancé is half Mexican). despite all this, I am team Arizona on this issue- something needs to be done and at least AZ is attempting to find a solution. If you're not a part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona