U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-22-2010, 10:18 PM

8,672 posts, read 9,753,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
So if a Police Officer challenges you, it may involve a trip to Nogales or Sherrif Joe's Camp
If going on birth certificate alone, yes...I was able to use my checking debit card as proof, which is what I used to pay for the DL....

Old 04-22-2010, 10:46 PM

7,891 posts, read 15,660,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
Now here is my question for you supporters. Would you be willing to spend x number of hours in jail even if you are a US citizen?
Sounds like another feeble scare tactic to me, Shiphead.

As KDog has already posted . . .

Quote:
You mean like the way you are detained today if you get stopped driving and don't have your license on you? Sure, why not?

Old 04-22-2010, 11:28 PM

8,164 posts, read 9,477,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundball View Post
I'm not a lawyer-Sec.2
B. For any lawful contact made by a law enforcement official or agency of this state or a county, city, town or other political subdivision of this state where reasonable suspicion exists that the person is an alien who is unlawfully present in the United States, a reasonable attempt shall be made, when practicable, to determine the immigration status of the person. The person's immigration status shall be verified with the federal government pursuant to 8 United States code section 1373(c).

In Sec. 5 they are trying to make it illegal to pick up someone at home depot. From looking at the bill you could just pull into the parking lot to get around the law. lame

Format Document-Senate Bill 1070
B is tempered by J which states that parts A-I have to be in full compliance with federal immigration law and respectful of the civil rights of all persons

i definitely think there are a lot of undefined terms that will have to work their way through the courts - i definitely see some potential confusion and difficulty in implementation as it will require knowledge and training on federal immigration law (which is massive and complex) at the local level

you're right about section 5 - as someone who hires it you're just not allowed to stop your vehicle and impede traffic .... the last portion though goes back to those who are out there - basically if you are out there soliciting yourself you need to be able to show that you are legal to work

btw - thanks for bringing the debate back to the actual legislation, it's possible interpretations and factual wording instead of a bunch of hyperbole, fear and rhetoric (which is coming from both sides)

Old 04-23-2010, 12:43 AM

3,971 posts, read 6,057,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Sounds like another feeble scare tactic to me, Shiphead.

As KDog has already posted . . .

Feeble scare tactic to scare who exactly? I don't use tactics to convince anyone of anything. I don't play political games or scream bloody murder. I look over whats happening and how this will effect(sp?) me. I am giving my view and that's it.

When viewing the lists of cops being fired, on a monthly basis, for immoral behavior, laws like this scare me Bummer. Assault, sex on duty, and overuse of power are the top three. So now these same people can have more power to abuse their citizens. Easier reasons to throw people in jail. Now the people that are apart of a "rat pack," as criminology language calls them, have more power. **** off a cop, get thrown in jail for "unknown citizenship status" how fun. I'm sorry but illegal immigrants aren't the only ones that drain and abuse the system.

Why do we give large tax breaks to huge families? What about all the money that businesses seem able to give away without any cop or court hounding them? There are a lot of US citizen families that are large and get thousands of dollars every year in funds alone. That doesn't include the welfare they receive either. I know a family here in AZ that has 12 kids... they are US citizens.

Yes, I am going to go down this road. So what's next? Are we going to microchip everyone? When will the ludicrous laws stop?

Last edited by shiphead; 04-23-2010 at 12:52 AM..

Old 04-23-2010, 07:38 AM

21,157 posts, read 26,012,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Is a marriage certificate on the docket for proof of identity for a DL...not and no way for a female married, divorced....to update a birth certificate....the marriage certificate only updates you SS#
In my case: my DL and birth certificate would not match either............I had a legal name change many years ago.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:41 AM

21,157 posts, read 26,012,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
Feeble scare tactic to scare who exactly? I don't use tactics to convince anyone of anything. I don't play political games or scream bloody murder. I look over whats happening and how this will effect(sp?) me. I am giving my view and that's it.

When viewing the lists of cops being fired, on a monthly basis, for immoral behavior, laws like this scare me Bummer. Assault, sex on duty, and overuse of power are the top three. So now these same people can have more power to abuse their citizens. Easier reasons to throw people in jail. Now the people that are apart of a "rat pack," as criminology language calls them, have more power. **** off a cop, get thrown in jail for "unknown citizenship status" how fun. I'm sorry but illegal immigrants aren't the only ones that drain and abuse the system.

Why do we give large tax breaks to huge families? What about all the money that businesses seem able to give away without any cop or court hounding them? There are a lot of US citizen families that are large and get thousands of dollars every year in funds alone. That doesn't include the welfare they receive either. I know a family here in AZ that has 12 kids... they are US citizens.

Yes, I am going to go down this road. So what's next? Are we going to microchip everyone? When will the ludicrous laws stop?
Going after illegal aliens, stripping birthright citizenship from their minor age Anchors and those who enable them is not ludicrous. As for large families; most people have 1-2 kids or none at all. The Dugger variety are extremely rare-----------even in Mormon circles.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:04 AM

15,952 posts, read 12,111,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Going after illegal aliens, stripping birthright citizenship from their minor age Anchors and those who enable them is not ludicrous. As for large families; most people have 1-2 kids or none at all. The Dugger variety are extremely rare-----------even in Mormon circles.
I agree about anchors, look at Mitt Romney

Old 04-23-2010, 08:43 AM

4,971 posts, read 3,642,166 times
Quote:
Sorry, AZDesertBrat . . .

I was referring to obtaining and carrying another ID Card as the worse case scenario for the complainers and whiners.
Oh...okay. Boy, we have been all over the news this morning. I don't think we've had this much attention since Evan Meacham was governor! I guess we are being seen as racists...again.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:34 AM

31 posts, read 26,314 times
Quote:
Sorry, AZDesertBrat . . .

I was referring to obtaining and carrying another ID Card as the worse case scenario for the complainers and whiners.
Perhaps you should google "papers, please" and actually learn about this subject instead of calling us complainers and whiners.

I also love how everyone thinks all our problems are caused by illegal aliens. Sure you can cherry pick cases where they have done some really bad things but this can be said of legal white, black, hispanic, and asian people also. I would be inclined to say they are less likely to break laws in fear of deportation if caught.

This bill is nothing more than racial profiling. Do you honestly think a cop is going to ask a white person if they are here illegally? No way. You don't see the problem here?

The fact that there is a section in the bill that allows the citizens to sue if their rights are violated should be a clue that this bill is garbage.

Brewer has no choice but to sign the bill though if she wants to get elected. Hopefully she knows this bill will never stand up court and that is why she is signing it, to save face with republicans.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:43 AM

8,164 posts, read 9,477,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krispydude View Post
The fact that there is a section in the bill that allows the citizens to sue if their rights are violated should be a clue that this bill is garbage.
No. It allows citizens to sue if a local municipality passes or implements an ordinance to not enforce FEDERAL immigration law.

I have no problems with citizens being able to hold their governement accountable and not be able to create sanctuary cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona