Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2010, 11:49 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,020,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
The immigration issue isn't new, and it's not his problem. When Bush was in office it was just as bad, but now that the issue has gotten so much attention everyone is putting it on him.
Why do you think it's gotten as much attention as it has? It's because Obama himself essentially came out and said he doesn't plan to do anything about it anytime soon. At least Bush stepped forward and acknowledged that border security was lax. The other problem is that he's trying to stop Arizona from protecting its own borders. What the hell else are they supposed to do? Let their state citizens continue to be victimized while Obama goes to concerts, gives empty threats to oil companies (mind you, that whole fiasco is yet another government screwup for not having the proper oversight and controls in place before authorizing the drilling) and talks to kids at schools?

Here's my opinion: Inaction is just as bad as improper action, and quite frankly, his response to Arizona is the WRONG one. What he needs to do is say, "Arizonians are frustrated, they're being victimized, and the federal government is solely to blame. Starting right now that border is on lockdown." and do WHATEVER it takes to stop the influx of illegals. Instead, he's backing down from the issue entirely and criticizing Arizona for doing what it had to do. I sincerely wish this counted as treasonous behavior so he could be impeached, because he more than deserves it for what he's doing.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:08 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
The immigration issue isn't new, and it's not his problem. When Bush was in office it was just as bad, but now that the issue has gotten so much attention everyone is putting it on him.
Why is it some are unable to step farther back that G.W.? Is it a memory block or disfunction?
DO NOTHING has been the words of the decade, all the way back to when Regan granted amnesty (wrong but at least he tried something) so this can be placed at the feet of EVERY leader (?) since then.

Quote:
His concern is that 50 states will have 50 different laws on immigration, it's a federal issue that needs to be handled by the feds, not state to state
First off, the states already have different laws than the feds when it comes to many things, take guns and marajuana for just a couple of examples. So what? Is that a valid excuse to do nothing?

Old 06-04-2010, 09:44 AM

299 posts, read 566,232 times
Default one simple question ....... a simple answer please

Karmaphx... ( and anyone else who wants Arizona to keep out of the feds business ) .......

A simple, straightforward question .. hopefully eliciting a simple, straightforward, and honest answer.

But we do have to start with a few simple, but obvious, acceptances .......

1) Mexicans ( yes, I said mexicans ) are pouring over the border.. They have no plans to stop coming to america.. And for everyone that's here, there's 10 more waiting their turn to cross.. ( if 10 million mexicans cross over, and 10,000 others come in illegally, too .. my only concern is the 10 million.. I'd be insane to look at it any other way )..

2) The have a serious impact on Arizona ( and america ).. Crime, schools, money, resources, .. the list goes on and on.. And its a negative impact.. And its getting steadly worse.. And will continue to get worse.. This is never going to suddenly turn into a positive situation.. Even if they were suddenly all citizens, the cost would be the same .. or MORE.. The would almost ALL be in a low enough tax bracket that they'd not only get back all their income tax money .. but they'd qualify for tax credits which would give them even more cash back .. plus quailfy for even more benefits than they're already getting.. .... absolutely insane, but true.

3) Arizona can't go after the illegals in Arizona because the press, the illegal's supporters, other states, the media, and even (god help us) the illegals won't let them.. And obama has already told Arizona he will have his justice department go after Arizona if they do.. That its a federal job.

4) Arizona can't go after the employers because obama has told Arizona that he'll go after Arizona if they do .. that its a federal job..

5) Arizona CAN'T go on indefinitely with the situation like it is and not go bankrupt.. Or just keep taking more and more money from the people who actually pay the bills in the state.. Which will drive them away.. And just isn't fair to them.. And the feds doing anything beyond token .. is YEARS away....... if ever..

So, the question is ........

...... WHAT SHOULD ARIZONA DO NOW ??? ......

And PLEASE don't answer with what Arizona shouldn't do.. Or what the feds should do.. or what's right or wrong.. Arizona's asking you straight out .....

...... WHAT SHOULD ARIZONA DO NOW !!! ......

I really want to hear your answer .. I'm sure alot of people do.. And not just you .. I'm not doing this to jump on your back .. you were just the most recent poster when I started this post .. the question is for ALL of the ones who say Arizona should back off cause its a federal authority situation.

As of this moment .. YOU'RE the governor of Arizona .. and its now YOUR responsibility.. ( and anyone else who wants to play along ) ... forget the new law .. forget what side you're on.

Arizona's up against the wall .. nowhere else to go .. not allowed to do anything to help itself .. and no help coming from the federal government .. and the problem is just going to continue .. and get worse..

YOU'RE the captain of the ship .. and your ship's taking on water .. and taking it on fast.. and its getting worse .. and help ISN'T coming.. Half the people on your ship are nitpicking at EVERY move you make, and many probably don't even believe there's really a problem.. Many do, but don't really care because they expect someone else to take care of it.. pay for it.. But you KNOW there's a serious problem.. And the lives of everyone on board (even the ones getting in your way ) are your responsibility .. are in your hands..... What's your decision..

WHAT DOES ARIZONA DO NOW ???

tiberius

Old 06-04-2010, 09:51 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,746,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodneighbor1234 View Post
Sure the Chandler Roundup was one incident. It was an incident that covered five days and involved the whole police department of Chandler, AZ.

Hispanics legal and illegal were stopped on the street and asked to prove citizenship.

Chandler had to pay half a million dollars to the citizens that were wrongfully arrested.

You people see nothing wrong with trampling the Consitution and infringing the civil rights of citizens? Oh, I forgot.

THE HISPANICS (Mexicans) asked for it.
I think the time has come for what is good for the rest of the world as far as strick immigration policies is good for America. I see nothing wrong with what Chandler did to make sure the population is safe.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:05 AM

220 posts, read 411,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I think the time has come for what is good for the rest of the world as far as strick immigration policies is good for America. I see nothing wrong with what Chandler did to make sure the population is safe.
So you would trade someone else's Constitutional rights just to feel safe?

I'll count you as a vote for a police state. Let's go all the way and declare Martial Law. Check points everywhere and have your laminated birth certificate handy.

Yep, Arizona would be real safe then.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:54 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,870,982 times
I expect the meeting with Gov Brewer was just more Obama BS.
I wish AZ would send illegals by the busload, including their US citizen kids to CA and then let them pay for them.

I think the AZ law will stand but not be enforced much like existing federal law

Old 06-04-2010, 01:05 PM

299 posts, read 566,232 times
Default more criticism .. but still no solutions

Mod Cut: Personal.

And for the record .. just the fact that " martial law " is a legal option in america proves that it was understood that crisis situations could arise when actions might have to be taken that would go against accepted constitutional rights .. and options were put into place to allow it.. As important as our "rights" are, when the survival of america is at stake, the rights have to take a backseat till the crisis is over.. That's just common sense.. Well, we aren't in that bad a situation yet .. though eventually we could be.. But what we're talking about is not even in the same playbook as martial law .. or a police state.. Better put up with a little inconvience and hurt feelings now, than to let the problem continue to grow until much more will be needed to fix it..

Two questions for you .. even though I don't really expect an answer......

FIRST ) ... I had two questions, but I"m not even going to ask the first, and hypothetical one .. what would the point be..

SECOND) ... Right to the second one .. the one I asked in a post just two posts before your's .. and which you also didn't answer .. just went right to your "police state" idea..

WHAT DOES ARIZONA DO NOW ...... If YOU were governor, Mod Cut: Personal, what would YOU do now.. Remember, you're in charge, so you have to actually come up with a solution, not just criticisms ... how would you solve Arizona's illegal problem.. And remember too, that there is NO federal help coming.. You're on your own..

tiberius

tiberius

Last edited by Grannysroost; 06-05-2010 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: Everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if they don't agree.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:27 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
This "trading" of Constitutional Rights BS is getting old . . . damn fast.

For those who consider being required to show adequate ID when being stopped due to a traffic violation or any other crime a "trade of rights" . . . TOUGH AND GET OVER IT.

Face reality . . . the world is not a Rose Garden any longer and there are IDIOTS out there who live for the moment to destroy us!

Illegals do not and should not have any rights in this country, Constitutional or otherwise. If they would only spend as much time, money and energy "fixing" the problems in their own country instead of demanding rights and special privileges here, the world would definitely be a better place for all.

MY TWO CENTS WORTH.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:33 PM

364 posts, read 496,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
This "trading" of Constitutional Rights BS is getting old . . . damn fast.

For those who consider being required to show adequate ID when being stopped due to a traffic violation or any other crime a "trade of rights" . . . TOUGH AND GET OVER IT.

Face reality . . . the world is not a Rose Garden any longer and there are IDIOTS out there who live for the moment to destroy us!

Illegals do not and should not have any rights in this country, Constitutional or otherwise. If they would only spend as much time, money and energy "fixing" the problems in their own country instead of demanding rights and special privileges here, the world would definitely be a better place for all.

MY TWO CENTS WORTH.
Can you prove this or is it just your $.02 like you said?

Old 06-04-2010, 03:56 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
The hyperbole on both sides of this thread are mucho entertaining. Reminds me of drama class in high school, when we had to act out an emotion, with an assigned topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona