Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2010, 11:49 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,060,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
They would use your DNA, which can be taken in minutes using a swab test, to prove where you are from, and if you're here legally or not.

I doubt this would ever work considering you would need to get millions of DNA samples to even get a database started, and regulating this database would be a another issue.
Well they could use fingerprints and a national ID. I know some countries do that, so it's not like it's THAT Impossible. Make it a requirement for every single citizen carry a national ID that is directly linked to a national immigration database, not a driver license as not everybody drives

Guess what? this will never happen. The root of the problem is the employers and these big businesses bought the government a long time ago. That's why somehow all these agencies cannot talk to each other, like if we were in the freaking 1950's working with paper files.

This is another joke, another slap in the face, another Mickey Mouse law that will have no impact on illegal immigration because it will be implemented at a small scale, like the ICE raids, like everything else.

But many people here don't care, because their ethnocentrism doesn't let them think straight. They think hispanic Americans are to blame and they deserve this racial profiling. It's their way to get even, because anybody with Mod Cut: Personal remarks knows the existing laws could make a change if they were enforced at a large scale.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:58 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
Right We would all guess that to be true, but that is the wording...Wonder why this is being opposed. I am sure they don't want to keep all others out, but I guess they forgot to proofread? I am assuming again that #4 on that list for for out-of-staters, but they don't make it very clear if it is, IMO anyway as I am not a lawyer.
Yeah, I guess nobody should "assume" anything. I have friends on another website trying to rip me a new one. Of course NOT ONE of them lives here, or anywhere near here, so we are just a bunch of Neanderthals. And I've been really nice too! I'm thinking that our state legislators should have known what a firestorm this was going to create and been very careful with their wording. OTOH I don't know that it would've made a whole lot of difference. People read things the way they want to in any case.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:02 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
If we (legal citizens) are going to be deported for not having papers, I'd like to suggest that we all pick good countries of origin for our possible deportation vacations. I think it would be fun to visit Switzerland or France.... The Netherlands sound good too.
I'll take Scotland, though some time in Austria wouldn't hurt, either.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:03 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
john kanvanagh for president watched him on CNN today.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:08 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,209 times
Look. The problem here is with a provision of this law that is vague with regards to enforcement. That makes law enforcement's job harder. You want some compromise on this ground? Rewrite the provision CLEARLY so that it spells out precisely under which circumstances these identity checks can take place. In a nation as "divided" as ours right now, it seems different people have different interpretations of "common sense", which makes specificity the better way to go.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:18 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,170,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The "trailer" bill, which passed House committee today, changes the language to prohibit using "race, color, or national origin" as a basis for reasonable suspicion that someone is an alien - at all. It also changes the language regarding when a person can be questioned about status from "lawful contact" to "lawful stop, arrest, or detention". Pearce is for the changes so they should pass and be signed.
This improves the bill though I'm really not sure what a "lawful stop" is. As others have said, a "lawful contact" would be any contact a policeman would make unless the policeman was commiting a crime.

There are still other issues with the law though.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:24 AM

628 posts, read 1,437,001 times
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. What a great place to live.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
But many people here don't care, because their ethnocentrism doesn't let them think straight. They think hispanic Americans are to blame and they deserve this racial profiling. It's their way to get even, because anybody with Mod Cut: Personal remarks knows the existing laws could make a change if they were enforced at a large scale.
In all fairness, I used to be like this -- but that was before I had the opportunity to work with a lot of Hispanics who were both legal and illegal. I couldn't understand why people didn't learn English before that.

After I worked that job for several years, I moved to a neighborhood that had two main immigrant groups and neither of them were Hispanic (so totally different languages).

I finally ended up feeling like my life was actually enriched by having so many different cultures living around me. Yeah, there are a lot of different languages and I'm often humored by the fact that grocery store ads sometimes feature five different languages (show me another place in the country that has that!) Spanish is actually a lot easier for some immigrants to learn because it has fewer words in the language. English can be really hard to learn.

Anyway, "illegal" cuts across all races, colors, languages, etc. There are illegals who look and speak exactly like native born Americans. There are many, many, many legal people in the USA who don't speak English. Some people come here as investors and they don't have to learn English, they only have to invest money. Others marry American citizens and get legal residence that way.

I think it's highly unfair that people want to target the illegal Hispanics, many of whom have been here for a lot of years, when there are a lot of other "illegal immigrants" who will just slip by.

Arizona would be better served if they took the money they are going to spend on lawsuits defending this law and hired cops to stand at the border instead.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Yeah, I guess nobody should "assume" anything. I have friends on another website trying to rip me a new one. Of course NOT ONE of them lives here, or anywhere near here, so we are just a bunch of Neanderthals. And I've been really nice too! I'm thinking that our state legislators should have known what a firestorm this was going to create and been very careful with their wording. OTOH I don't know that it would've made a whole lot of difference. People read things the way they want to in any case.
The people who wrote this law were careful in their wording of the law (they've been all over TV explaining that) -- and so, since it doesn't say "out of state driver's licenses are acceptable," I would not assume that an out of state driver's license is acceptable proof of citizenship.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
I'll take Scotland, though some time in Austria wouldn't hurt, either.

Ooooooh! Austria would be nice! I was also thinking today that Amsterdam would be fun if you had to spend a long time somewhere (since you can do all sorts of illegal things in Amsterdam). Amsterdam is really pretty to boot.

Okay. So if the police aren't happy with the ID you give them and they ask where you are from, you should lie and say you are from somewhere fabulous so they will deport you to that country instead of Mexico (which is where they would send you otherwise).

Sounds like a plan....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona