Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2010, 07:32 AM

461 posts, read 1,804,745 times
Can someone give a quick synopsis of SB1070? What exactly is everyone so up in arms about? I'm all for LEGAL immigrants coming into this country. Why would anyone be opposed?

Old 05-22-2010, 07:37 AM

923 posts, read 1,421,869 times
Default Author of Arizona immigration law wants to end birthright citizenship

Pearce wrote that he plans to "push for an Arizona bill that would refuse to accept or issue a birth certificate that recognizes citizenship to those born to illegal aliens, unless one parent is a citizen".

Author of Arizona immigration law wants to end birthright citizenship - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/20100521/pl_ynews/ynews_pl2192 - broken link)

Old 05-22-2010, 07:45 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,358,180 times
This was part of a photo caption on the front page of the LA Times yesterday ...

Quote:
"[Mexican President visiting Washington DC] Calderon urged lawmakers to reinstitute a ban on assault weapons, saying that tens of thousands of guns purchased in the United States are turning up in Mexico."
My first thought was Hey Calderon - we'll take the assault weapons back if you take the illegal aliens back ...

Old 05-22-2010, 07:45 AM

1,942 posts, read 4,549,382 times
I think we are all for LEGAL immigrants coming into this country, Stumblina. Some of us want the illegals to come in while others want to keep the illegals out, is all.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:40 AM

276 posts, read 801,961 times
All I can say is, bout damn time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitem3 View Post
Pearce wrote that he plans to "push for an Arizona bill that would refuse to accept or issue a birth certificate that recognizes citizenship to those born to illegal aliens, unless one parent is a citizen".

Author of Arizona immigration law wants to end birthright citizenship - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/20100521/pl_ynews/ynews_pl2192 - broken link)

Old 05-22-2010, 08:44 AM

563 posts, read 517,056 times
If you come to Florida as an American and plan on going South of Fort Lauderdale, make sure you bring a Passport. Once you cross into Miami, you will need it to get back to Fort Lauderdale. Bring a translator too. If you stop and ask for directions, do you think they will speak America's language?

Old 05-22-2010, 09:35 AM

4 posts, read 9,877 times
Default Missourians for Arizona's just and fair Illegal Immigration Act

Quote:
July 7, 2008
Gov. Matt Blunt signed legislation designed to catch illegal workers and punish their employers.

The bill contains a wide range of new requirements, including mandatory checks on the legal status of all public employees, welfare applicants and criminal suspects whenever they are jailed.

It also creates a state law prohibiting the issuance of driver’s licenses to illegal immigrants, enacts new penalties for transporting illegal immigrants through Missouri and empowers the state Highway Patrol to enforce federal immigration law.

It prohibits Missouri cities from adopting policies to ignore violations of immigration law by otherwise law-abiding residents
Quote:
“We welcome legal immigrants,” Blunt said. “We want them to learn our language, to start businesses and build their lives here. But equality before the law” is a pillar of that society.
It is too bad AZ didn't pass the law in 2008. Now they are in the cross hairs of the big un-American federal government and all the states that are lining up at the federal trough for handouts.

In other words money spent in AZ to stop illegal immigration limit the money going to bailout CA. It is not about racism. Thats just the dialectic used to put states at the head of the line for federal handouts..

If in the 21st century after 100 years of wealth redistribution via the federal government "forced participation" and educational control, certain states cannot manage their own affairs and spending budgets - Then those states like CA, WA, and OR are "hillbillies"

I applaud AZ for the fortitude and courage of its citizens to deal with illegal immigration recognizing that the Federal government has failed to fulfill the trust delegated to it.

AZ has states rights under the Tenth Amendment "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

A states enforcement of or establishment of, a immigration law is not prohibited by the constitution.

There have been three terrorist attacks on US soil under Obama's watch.
He ain't watching!

These Missourian stand beside you Arizonians and your fight against the Mexican invasion.

Last edited by focusonz; 05-22-2010 at 09:48 AM.. Reason: revised title, added link

Old 05-22-2010, 11:29 AM

9,593 posts, read 31,537,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitem3 View Post

Another EARTH SHAKER, Whitem . . . but it's about time.

Anchor Babies have always been an "abuse vehicle" for Illegals to drain our welfare systems and obtain more FREEBIES!

Old 05-22-2010, 11:36 AM

91 posts, read 245,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zox View Post
I'm curious, how do you feel about paying higher state taxes to hire more police officers and law enforcement? I'm always perplexed by those who are unwilling to put their money where their mouth is and pay the necessary taxes to hire more cops and offer a real solution. The conservatives in Arizona preach on about preventing immigration but don't want to pay for it.
I do not mind paying more taxes because maybe in the beginning it will be more, but as we pay for less illegals in the social services realm (I am a social worker by the way and the amount of assistance we have to provide to these families is disgusting) we will not be paying any more as it will balance out. That is what I am hoping at least, no one knows exactly how things will actually turn out. I do not mind paying more taxes if it takes away from having to pay for other things. Like health reform. I don't believe Obama did it right, as I also don't believe Brewer did it perfectly here either. However the point is that changes are being made in the general direction we need them to be. Heres to hoping that things will balance out!

Old 05-22-2010, 11:39 AM

5,004 posts, read 12,312,053 times
From a liberal living up in Seattle ... the only thing I have to say is "WAY TO GO AZ!"

I still think there is a better way than this legislation. Personally, in my opinion, if you have an illegal immigrant in this country for years on end, works hard, pays taxes, and contributes to this great nation of ours, we should offer them citizenship (think of it this way, we want the resourceful ones, not the felons and leeches). And I think the law should be more like Japan's, where they can ask you your immigration status, status of health care insurance, car insurance, proof of residence, and ask for ID for even routine things like a traffic stop, and make it mandatory for everyone, not just those who may be "reasonably suspicious."

But that's the beauty of democracy and republic, we can disagree.

The one thing I do agree on though is that something is better than nothing. In absence of strong leadership from Washington DC, I think it is up to the states to pass legislation which protects its citizens, and the voters and legislators of AZ have done just that in accordance with what they deem acceptable. And it will hopefully bootstrap further debate at the national level.

I also think the petty "banning" of goods and services from AZ firms is stupid. I'm not going to avoid travel to AZ just for some silly reason like this. I also think its justified that AZ power firms won't sell power to LA anymore like what is being proposed.

Anyway, in short, though I disagree with some of the details and implementation, I do agree something had to be done and I cheer AZ for taking a leadership role. Liberal or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona