U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-21-2010, 06:31 PM
 
1 posts, read 4,795 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Does anyone have a preferance? We can do one over the other or go to both. Has anyone been to either city? If so, which did you like more and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-21-2010, 08:29 PM
 
1,531 posts, read 2,400,025 times
Reputation: 466
sedona definately
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 09:57 PM
 
Location: Hays, Kansas
113 posts, read 232,537 times
Reputation: 123
Sedona. It was a nice smaller town when my family stayed there and Im guessing it still is. Plus it has wonderful scenery and a one of a kind Teal Mc Donalds sign haha..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2010, 10:01 PM
 
1,170 posts, read 3,346,451 times
Reputation: 644
I have heard that very there is little night life in Sedona, anyone know if that is true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2010, 11:32 AM
 
104 posts, read 174,676 times
Reputation: 50
Very true...little night life in Sedona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2010, 11:48 AM
 
8,165 posts, read 9,837,615 times
Reputation: 5519
Quote:
Originally Posted by haniamirza View Post
or go to both.
This.

You didn't give much of a clue as to what gets you going or what you're looking for on the Gals trip or how much time you'll have.

I would try to do both if possible.

You can't really compare sedona and phoenix as cities - next to each other sedona really isn't a city, it's more of a retreat.

Personally if I had 3 full days I'd spend day 1 getting out of phoenix fairly early and making my way up to Jerome - it's a neat old mining town that is now kind of an artist colony - there are some decent eats, wine tasting rooms, etc there - kind of a neat place ..... spend some time browsing the shops and then work my way to sedona

this would be about 1:30 - 2 hours to jerome and another 30-40 minutes to sedona

sedona is beautiful - there is a wide variety of places to stay from big resorts, B&Bs and plain motels - find what works for you .... spend some time out and exploring sedona and the area ..... have a nice diner and a relaxing night

wake up in the morning, explore some more and then make the 1:30-2 hr drive back into phoenix - catch a later lunch in phoenix and find an activity of choice for that evening - find the nightlife of your choice and have a party night out

sleep it off a little in the morning of day 3, explore to your interests, get a quick lunch, etc ....... at night time find a nice and relaxing place for dinner and round out the night sipping wine on a patio somewhere and then head back and get ready to depart

of course this makes assumptions that you like trying restaurants and wine and that you have 3 full days in AZ to play with - which could very well not be the case

so try and do both if you have enough time

if you don't, then decide what kind of escape you're looking to have as the 2 places couldn't be more different
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2010, 02:19 PM
Status: "Sunny and 75!" (set 15 days ago)
 
Location: Verde Valley
2,759 posts, read 4,599,985 times
Reputation: 1698
Yup, it's true, unless you call driving out to the Faye Canyon trail head parking lot and looking at stars (amazing by the way) night life :-).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDreamer View Post
I have heard that very there is little night life in Sedona, anyone know if that is true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2010, 02:23 PM
Status: "Sunny and 75!" (set 15 days ago)
 
Location: Verde Valley
2,759 posts, read 4,599,985 times
Reputation: 1698
Jerome is a great idea...if I were them, I'd do both too...it also depends on the weather they want, it will be much warmer in Scottsdale, most likely swimming weather, and it could be cold (even light snow but probably not) in Sedona (today it's in the low 50's, brrr, but on Sunday it was 83 for the high, hopefully it will get to spring like weather and stay there shortly).

Sedona has great hiking and lots of crystal/new age shops, Scottsdale has fine dining andf great shopping of anothe kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
This.

You didn't give much of a clue as to what gets you going or what you're looking for on the Gals trip or how much time you'll have.

I would try to do both if possible.

You can't really compare sedona and phoenix as cities - next to each other sedona really isn't a city, it's more of a retreat.

Personally if I had 3 full days I'd spend day 1 getting out of phoenix fairly early and making my way up to Jerome - it's a neat old mining town that is now kind of an artist colony - there are some decent eats, wine tasting rooms, etc there - kind of a neat place ..... spend some time browsing the shops and then work my way to sedona

this would be about 1:30 - 2 hours to jerome and another 30-40 minutes to sedona

sedona is beautiful - there is a wide variety of places to stay from big resorts, B&Bs and plain motels - find what works for you .... spend some time out and exploring sedona and the area ..... have a nice diner and a relaxing night

wake up in the morning, explore some more and then make the 1:30-2 hr drive back into phoenix - catch a later lunch in phoenix and find an activity of choice for that evening - find the nightlife of your choice and have a party night out

sleep it off a little in the morning of day 3, explore to your interests, get a quick lunch, etc ....... at night time find a nice and relaxing place for dinner and round out the night sipping wine on a patio somewhere and then head back and get ready to depart

of course this makes assumptions that you like trying restaurants and wine and that you have 3 full days in AZ to play with - which could very well not be the case

so try and do both if you have enough time

if you don't, then decide what kind of escape you're looking to have as the 2 places couldn't be more different
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2010, 02:30 PM
 
1,170 posts, read 3,346,451 times
Reputation: 644
My wife met up with some old friends for a girls weekend in Scottsdale last June. The hotel had large two bedroom suites with low off-season rates, a nice pool and an evening social hour in the lobby where free appetizers and drinks were available. There was lots to do in the area, all kinds of restaurants and music, casinos, shopping, hiking.

I'm not knocking Sedona, it's just not the place I would go for a guys weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-22-2010, 03:41 PM
 
Location: Prescott Valley, Az (unfortunately still here)
2,551 posts, read 1,620,161 times
Reputation: 1521
Quote:
Originally Posted by haniamirza View Post
Does anyone have a preferance? We can do one over the other or go to both. Has anyone been to either city? If so, which did you like more and why?
Well, let me ask you something: Do you prefer the country or the city? Sedona is more of a rural, small town and Scottsdale is a big city living.

Sedona has great hiking there and Scottsdale has the best shopping places and clubs to go to on Friday nights (if that's your thing).

YOU have to decide what you like best: City or Country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top