Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 08:54 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times

Advertisements

Ponderosa, check out northern, AZ. You might even like Kingman. Great weather at 3500' elevation. No traffic, nice small town feel. There are TONS of cool areas around here to explore. And it makes a great launching pad for traveling around the rest of the southwest. Certainly no worries getting out of town, that's for sure. I know we don't always see eye to eye on every topic, but I'd be happy to give you the nickel tour of the area if you're ever up this way.

As far as camping along the north rim without the crowds, it's still entirely doable. I camped out last summer at Toroweap with some friends and we had the entire place to ourselves. Toroweap is by no means an obscure place, but you do need to travel a minimum of 70 miles on dirt roads to get there. So that tends to keep out the casual tourists.

Toroweap Sunrise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 09:05 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Ponderosa, check out northern, AZ. You might even like Kingman. Great weather at 3500' elevation. No traffic, nice small town feel. There are TONS of cool areas around here to explore. And it makes a great launching pad for traveling around the rest of the southwest. Certainly no worries getting out of town, that's for sure. I know we don't always see eye to eye on every topic, but I'd be happy to give you the nickel tour of the area if you're ever up this way.

As far as camping along the north rim without the crowds, it's still entirely doable. I camped out last summer at Toroweap with some friends and we had the entire place to ourselves. Toroweap is by no means an obscure place, but you do need to travel a minimum of 70 miles on dirt roads to get there. So that tends to keep out the casual tourists.

Toroweap Sunrise
Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on it someday. That part of the state is a mystery to me. Most of my wanderings have been in the Whites and along the rim. I haven't ruled out AZ by any means, and the more I travel, the more I wonder if it is just Phoenix that sucks (for me and after many years). I loved Sierra Vista when I lived there, but looking at the sat photo on Google the other day, it was OMG! It's so much bigger now.

The big advantage AZ has over so many places is all the public land available here. You remember that little tourist ad jingle, "Arizona, has anybody ever seen it all?". It is really true. For all the years I have been here, there are so many cool places I have heard of but never been. Just last week there was a story in the paper about the falls where the Little Colorado drops in to the canyon. I have never been there but am going to go find it next spring if I am still here.

Still, I can see the OP's perspective. It would be a blast to move somewhere like TN that you have never been and experience all that "newness" again.

It's a difficult decision, for sure.

Old 04-23-2010, 09:30 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Just last week there was a story in the paper about the falls where the Little Colorado drops in to the canyon.
Grand Falls. And it was flowing pretty good back a couple of months ago.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:39 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raya22 View Post
Boompa-How long have you been in Arizona? Snow? Yikes
Snow in Sierra Vista on April 23rd. There was snow on the ground in Ft Huachuca this morning and it was 30 degrees. I've allready had my A/C serviced for the summer. Despite this Sierra Vista still has better weather most of the year than almost anywhere else

As for crowded. I lived in Goodyear for 6 years, it sucked. You couldn't go anywhere without bumper to bumper traffic. An hour to downtown at any time of the day. These last few trips were triple that. I-10 is a parking lot.
Sedona was horrible too. that construction along 179 has it at a standstill.
If I were young and had to go to work that would be one thing but to spend my retirement sitting in traffic in 110 degrees isn't what I bargained for.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:39 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,942,550 times
Quote:
the kids are now grown~and its time for a change. Just curious if anyone else out there is going to make a change this year
yes!!!!

Old 04-23-2010, 02:49 PM

104 posts, read 293,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaada View Post
yes!!!!
Where?

Old 04-23-2010, 02:51 PM

104 posts, read 293,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Snow in Sierra Vista on April 23rd. There was snow on the ground in Ft Huachuca this morning and it was 30 degrees. I've allready had my A/C serviced for the summer. Despite this Sierra Vista still has better weather most of the year than almost anywhere else

As for crowded. I lived in Goodyear for 6 years, it sucked. You couldn't go anywhere without bumper to bumper traffic. An hour to downtown at any time of the day. These last few trips were triple that. I-10 is a parking lot.
Sedona was horrible too. that construction along 179 has it at a standstill.
If I were young and had to go to work that would be one thing but to spend my retirement sitting in traffic in 110 degrees isn't what I bargained for.
So, where is it you would go...if you were/are going to leave AZ?

I too am tired of the traffic~how is Sierra Vista and traffic in that area?

Old 04-23-2010, 03:55 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
There are walls whereever you look (here in the valley) YES there are wide open spaces out side of the valley but still people wherever you go~absurd? I dont think that was a necessary comment.
I think you will run into far more people out there in TN than you do here. There is not a lot of land that someone doesn't own and folks seeking recreation are forced into parks and campgrounds. They have little towns every few miles along the country roads and farms in between those. Sure it's gawd-awful around Phoenix, but in AZ and most western states you can travel the backroads for miles and not see a house, or a store or a gas station. By my historical perspective, AZ is too crowded, but it is nothing like the states east of the Mississippi. What can you do? New Mexico?

Old 04-23-2010, 09:04 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,077,414 times
I am still trying to move to New England, this recession is really putting a cramp in my plans but I still plan to take off after schools over. lol
I just want something different, I've lived here for ever! My kids would like a change as well.
Good luck to you and come back and post on the AZ threads, it will be neat to here how you like it in your new home.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:05 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Grand Falls. And it was flowing pretty good back a couple of months ago.
Great photo (as always), but thats nasty! Looks like the chocolate fountain from Willy Wonka's factory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona