U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 04-23-2010, 10:14 PM

6,086 posts, read 9,253,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Great photo (as always), but thats nasty! Looks like the chocolate fountain from Willy Wonka's factory.
Hahha, yes it does. Erosion at its finest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-24-2010, 07:02 AM

15,237 posts, read 17,436,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Great photo (as always), but thats nasty! Looks like the chocolate fountain from Willy Wonka's factory.
The picture I saw in the paper a few days ago was a little clearer water. Must be from the slow melt of the huge snow pack we got this year. Here's a whole bunch of photos of it:

http://www.azcentral.com/commphotos/.../1/15/361106#1

Last edited by Ponderosa; 04-24-2010 at 07:12 AM..

Unread 04-24-2010, 08:03 AM

15,904 posts, read 10,757,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Why do you care? Sierra Vista is still Arizona. You're leaving Arizona because it's too crowded and there's no open spaces. Remember?
It's not that the entire state is too crowded, the majority of the population lives in Maricopa County, in a large Los Angeles like megasuburb where they spend their days polluting. Meanwhile they cry about a border that is over a hundred miles away and blame their problems on their gardner. It's actually pretty good where I am, but if I want to go to flagstaff it could take 10-12 hours if I get stuck at Eloy, at Anthem, and Sedona.

Unread 04-24-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The picture I saw in the paper a few days ago was a little clearer water. Must be from the slow melt of the huge snow pack we got this year. Here's a whole bunch of photos of it:

Spring runoff swells into Colorado River - Photos
Ah, there's more water flowing in those shots and it indeed is running clearer. My shots were from my second time there. Looks like I need to keep trying.

Unread 04-24-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
It's not that the entire state is too crowded, the majority of the population lives in Maricopa County, in a large Los Angeles like megasuburb where they spend their days polluting. Meanwhile they cry about a border that is over a hundred miles away and blame their problems on their gardner. It's actually pretty good where I am, but if I want to go to flagstaff it could take 10-12 hours if I get stuck at Eloy, at Anthem, and Sedona.
Of course, and that was my point. Mod Cut: deleted in previous post. In reality, the vast majority of the Arizona is very sparsely populated and has nothing but wide open space. People live their whole lives in the Phoenix area never venture out and talk about how nice it would be to move to another state that's less crowded. It just blows my mind. I bought my Jeep from a young couple who both had grown up in Phoenix, and they wanted to know where Kingman was. I told them straight up 93 on the way to Vegas, and they never heard of 93. So I told them that was the road that went through Wickenburg, and that drew a blank stare as well. They had never even been to Wickenburg! I'm sure they think all of Arizona is one big megalopolis as well.

I have a good friend who lives in the town of Maricopa, and we often meet up in Flagstaff to go off on photography trips. It takes me two hours to get to Flagstaff, and a half a day for him. That whole Phoenix area is such a choke-point for folks living in the south to try to head north. The more I hear about it, the more I appreciate where I live. I have everything I need, no traffic, clean air, and I can get to practically anywhere in the southwest without going through any cities. Phoenix is like another planet to me. I've only been there twice in four years and that was plenty.

I'm sure Sierra Vista is great too. And the access to Mexico, Tucson and Bisbee would be great. But for me it would be too isolated. We travel north into Nevada, Utah, and California all the time which is a cinch from Kingman. Living down south would double the trip making it pretty much impossible unless we flew, and that changes everything.

Last edited by Grannysroost; 04-26-2010 at 10:08 AM..

Unread 04-24-2010, 09:43 AM

2,421 posts, read 3,762,066 times
Gotta agree with Kdog here. I've never been anywhere with as many wide open spaces as AZ...and crowded ? Try New York or the entire state of CA!

Where I'm from bad traffic means it takes you 2 hours to get somewhere you could get to in 20-30 minutes without traffic....I've never expereiced that is AZ, Sedona or the valley (granted I don't live in the valley but do visit often). Yes, there's a bit of construction going on here in Sedona which sometimes feels like it's never gonna end but it's still nothing compared to some other places I've been.

Mod Cut: Quote previously deleted.

Last edited by Grannysroost; 04-26-2010 at 10:10 AM..

Unread 04-24-2010, 09:46 AM

2,421 posts, read 3,762,066 times
Is that via camel? I have never once been stuck at Anthem or Sedona on the I17 and I go down to the valley all the time, can't comment on Eloy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
if I want to go to flagstaff it could take 10-12 hours if I get stuck at Eloy, at Anthem, and Sedona.

Unread 04-24-2010, 09:56 AM

12,998 posts, read 14,386,610 times
You live in Phoenix and you "miss" wide open spaces"???? Even if you live in the city, you don't have to go far to find them. Sounds like, if you want green, real thunderstorms, and puffy clouds, you just need to move above the Rim here in AZ. But, if you want a "change", then go find one. You may miss being here after a while.

Last edited by Grannysroost; 04-26-2010 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: Changed in post referred to.

Unread 04-24-2010, 11:38 AM

15,904 posts, read 10,757,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Is that via camel? I have never once been stuck at Anthem or Sedona on the I17 and I go down to the valley all the time, can't comment on Eloy.
I was stuck in the back up from that bus accident last month for 5 hours, later I was stuck for 3 hours because of one in Mesa. This is the rule, not the exception. When there is an accident they putz around for hours before clearing the scene. I was a Policeman in Pennsylvania, if I didn't have the scene cleared in 30 minutes the PSP was pushing the cars off the road with the bodies still inside.
There are no alternatives that don't take you 100 miles out f the way. It is worse than LA Traffic. If I have to go to Goodyear, I'll use I-8 and 85.

Unread 04-24-2010, 11:48 AM

10,798 posts, read 9,107,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Gotta agree with Kdog here. I've never been anywhere with as many wide open spaces as AZ...and crowded ? Try New York or the entire state of CA!
The entire state of CA? That's a bit of a stretch.

http://www.careglobalwarming.com/cal...e-northern.jpg

http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/at...nterspread.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona