Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 09:42 AM

1,389 posts, read 3,534,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
Regardless of his personal beliefs, it's still his duty to enforce the law. What if this sheriff opposed speed limits, would you still stand by his side for not ticketing those doing 100 through his town?
That is my point exactly. It is not his job to pick which laws he enforces and which he does not. What if the tables were turned? We couldn't get away with choosing not to obey the laws in front of his deputies.

"I'm sorry sir but I don't believe in this speed limit, so I am not going to obey it"

That would fly really well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
He's not appointed, he's elected. And, he's not the only sheriff in this state that doesn't support this legislation or believes it is unnecessary and/or an unfunded burden on local law enforcement. I said before this bill was ever proposed, and I will say it today, I'd trade Sheriff Dupnik for Sheriff Arpaio anytime, based on how they've carried out their jobs (and what they've cost the taxpayers) to date.
My use of "appointment" was the wrong choice of words. My bad!

I'm not sure if he's up this year or not? Whenever it is, I hope we can finally vote him out of office. I've been trying for years. It seems he only makes appearances when its election time, with the exception of opportunities to try and appease his voter base.

If I was a deputy working for him I'd be embarrassed.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:55 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
My use of "appointment" was the wrong choice of words. My bad!

I'm not sure if he's up this year or not? Whenever it is, I hope we can finally vote him out of office. I've been trying for years. It seems he only makes appearances when its election time, with the exception of opportunities to try and appease his voter base.

If I was a deputy working for him I'd be embarrassed.
Why does a sheriff need to make "appearances"? You've been watching too much Phoenix television. Any sheriff can do his job without EVER making public appearances, or at least making them rarely. It's not part of his statutory duty or other job description.

As far as the number of sheriffs supporting it, according to the article in the original link, that total is NINE. One of the other nonsupporters is the sheriff of the BORDER county of Santa Cruz. He sees the problems with the law, as apparently a few others in his position do. They are still going to pick up illegals in Pima County, and turn them over to ICE, just as they have always done. Pima County, like most others, lacks the extra money it will take to enforce/process state charges. The legislature (and for that matter, initiative backers, but that's another story) loves to tell the counties/cities what to do, but does not give them the money to do it.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:58 AM

422 posts, read 1,271,514 times
Since I live in Pima County, I wonder if I can pick and choose which laws I want to obey? Next time a deputy pulls me over for a license plate light out I'll be able to inform them that their boss thinks that is not a good reason to pull somebody over and they should stop harassing me. What a load of BS. We need a new face in office.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:06 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,473,840 times
Get this straight: A County Sheriff is part of the Executive Branch of government. It is his job to enforce the laws as they are written, not to de facto make law in how he chooses to enforce or not enforce it. In fact, his oath of office is that he will uphold the laws and the Constitution of the state. To refuse to do is a violation of his oath of office. I'm not familiar with Arizona law, but in most states that would constitute gross malfeasance and would be grounds for removal from office. Elected officials do have some latitude in how they execute their duties, but blatantly ignoring duly enacted legislation, until such time that it is repealed or struck down by the courts, is not one of them and is flat wrong. The sheriff can disagree with law all he wants--that gives him no right to refuse to enforce it. Anyone who says the sheriff is within his rights to refuse to enforce a duly enacted statute understands nothing of law or basic civics.

Last edited by jazzlover; 04-28-2010 at 10:25 AM..

Old 04-28-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Why does a sheriff need to make "appearances"? You've been watching too much Phoenix television. Any sheriff can do his job without EVER making public appearances, or at least making them rarely. It's not part of his statutory duty or other job description.

As far as the number of sheriffs supporting it, according to the article in the original link, that total is NINE. One of the other nonsupporters is the sheriff of the BORDER county of Santa Cruz. He sees the problems with the law, as apparently a few others in his position do. They are still going to pick up illegals in Pima County, and turn them over to ICE, just as they have always done. Pima County, like most others, lacks the extra money it will take to enforce/process state charges. The legislature (and for that matter, initiative backers, but that's another story) loves to tell the counties/cities what to do, but does not give them the money to do it.
I don't mean only public appearances. I mean - out doing his job. You never hear of him doing ANYTHING. Then once something politically convenient for his job comes around - all the sudden residents in Pima county are reminded they do indeed have a sheriff.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:51 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,107,360 times
Default Pima Countyr Sheriff Dupnik..

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
Regardless of his personal beliefs, it's still his duty to enforce the law. What if this sheriff opposed speed limits, would you still stand by his side for not ticketing those doing 100 through his town?
Hey Karma, you bring up a good point! I think most of these posters who are so near sighted and are Pro-Dupnik, wouldn't know the difference between someone going 100 MPH and someone going 25 MPH through their town. I don't care where you live, the law is the law, if you are a law enforcement officer, you either enforce those laws or you quit and get a janitorial job somewhere. Mod Cut: Off topic.

Last edited by Grannysroost; 04-29-2010 at 07:54 AM..

Old 04-28-2010, 11:11 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,328,628 times
Quote:
The Dupnik rebellion: Pima's top cop says "no" to SB 1070 - KGUN 9 On Your Side, Tucson News, Weather & Sports (http://www.kgun9.com/Global/story.asp?S=12386648 - broken link)

Regardless of your opinion of the law, as an officer of the law, especially the head of an agency - you should not be cherry picking which laws you enforce.

Do them all or move out of the office and let someone in whose willing to do the job.

Maybe we can finally get Dumbo Dupnik out of that appointment?
The police choose not to enforce laws that are on the books all the time. There are a lot of stupid laws that cops ignore. Now with the passage of SB 1070, AZ has a new one.

Here's a website with some of the ridiculous laws on the books in AZ that are regularly ignored.

Stupid Arizona Laws

Old 04-28-2010, 11:12 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times
Quote:
The Dupnik rebellion: Pima's top cop says "no" to SB 1070 - KGUN 9 On Your Side, Tucson News, Weather & Sports (http://www.kgun9.com/Global/story.asp?S=12386648 - broken link)

Regardless of your opinion of the law, as an officer of the law, especially the head of an agency - you should not be cherry picking which laws you enforce.

Do them all or move out of the office and let someone in whose willing to do the job.

Maybe we can finally get Dumbo Dupnik out of that appointment?

Sorry, but I agree with Dupnik. It's a stupid - no, make that STOOPID - badly written law that's going to result in massive lawsuits against the state of Arizona that's going to cost Arizona taxpayers millions and millions of dollars. When challenged it will NEVER stand up in court - NEVER.

Ken

Old 04-28-2010, 01:15 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
The police choose not to enforce laws that are on the books all the time. There are a lot of stupid laws that cops ignore. Now with the passage of SB 1070, AZ has a new one.

Here's a website with some of the ridiculous laws on the books in AZ that are regularly ignored.
You are probably correct, Spot.

More than likely, all states, definitely not only Arizona, have laws that are either not actively enforced or ignored completely, however, NO Sworn, Paycheck Accepting Law Enforcement Officer should be so blatantly arrogant as to go on National News to declare he has no intentions of enforcing this law or any law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona