Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 02:07 PM

555 posts, read 876,837 times

Advertisements

The law itself permits citizens to sue jurisdictions that don't enforce it, if I recall correctly.

It was written to mimick federal law to pass constitutional muster. I have heard these arguments, and I think it has a chance to pass this test.

The Border Patrol has checkpoints on roads all over Arizona. Do you think they should be accused of racial profiling?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 02:10 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I watched the video and I completely agree with him. Kudos to this sheriff for standing up to this racist and unconstitutional law.
As it has NOT been deemed unconstitutional, he is just acting on his opinion. As it stands, it is a law right now. He is picking and choosing, based on his own beliefs. Something NO cop should do.

And how is this racist?

Old 04-28-2010, 02:17 PM

422 posts, read 1,271,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Sorry, but I agree with Dupnik. It's a stupid - no, make that STOOPID - badly written law that's going to result in massive lawsuits against the state of Arizona that's going to cost Arizona taxpayers millions and millions of dollars. When challenged it will NEVER stand up in court - NEVER.

Ken

When you eventually move to Cochise county AZ you will be singing a different tune.....and I don't even have a crystal ball.....lol... but I can see that comming a mile away.

You are usually level headed and I have read many of your decent posts, but in this case I will have to disagree with you. It is really hard to see the whole picture if you live so far away. You only get little glimpses of what really goes on here through the internet. I've been there and done that, but actually living here you get a whole different perspective.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:32 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
As it has NOT been deemed unconstitutional, he is just acting on his opinion. As it stands, it is a law right now. He is picking and choosing, based on his own beliefs. Something NO cop should do.

And how is this racist?
Absolutely, ringwise . . . Law Enforcement Officers are paid to enforce the laws, not legislate and/or dispute.

Old 04-28-2010, 02:48 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwideopenskyx View Post
When you eventually move to Cochise county AZ you will be singing a different tune.....and I don't even have a crystal ball.....lol... but I can see that comming a mile away.

You are usually level headed and I have read many of your decent posts, but in this case I will have to disagree with you. It is really hard to see the whole picture if you live so far away. You only get little glimpses of what really goes on here through the internet. I've been there and done that, but actually living here you get a whole different perspective.
Oh, I understand the problem and certainly things have to be done about it. I was in favor of the Arizona employer law that penalized employers who hire illegal aliens for example - but THIS LAW just won't stand up, period. It's just plain a bad piece of legislation that leaves the state open for multiple (and very expensive) lawsuits.

Ken

PS - our land is not QUITE in Cochise County, but rather in extreme east Pima County. Still, I'm well aware of the issues and concerns and I'm not minimizing them.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:15 PM

9,401 posts, read 11,147,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
You are absolutely correct, Observer . . . he is elected.

As for being the only sheriff in Arizona not supporting this legislation . . . very possibly. However, being a Sworn Law Enforcement Officer, he is required to enforce the laws of the state, NOT go public on both Local and National News, not only slamming the law but declaring he will not enforce it.

Bottom line . . . Sheriff Dupnik is accepting a paycheck while refusing to do his job. If he wants to be a legislator, he should have made a different career choice.
A prosecutor should order his arrest and then prosecute him for failure to execute his office properly.

ANYONE arrested by this moron's deputies could fight the arrest based on the fact that a citizen has just as much right to ignore the law as a sheriff does.
Every arrest, every conviction gets thrown out, now that's a great sheriff for ya.

Since when did elected officials get to decide they would ignore, disobey, or actively work against duly passed laws?

Old 04-28-2010, 03:20 PM

9,401 posts, read 11,147,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Oh, I understand the problem and certainly things have to be done about it. I was in favor of the Arizona employer law that penalized employers who hire illegal aliens for example - but THIS LAW just won't stand up, period. It's just plain a bad piece of legislation that leaves the state open for multiple (and very expensive) lawsuits.

Ken

PS - our land is not QUITE in Cochise County, but rather in extreme east Pima County. Still, I'm well aware of the issues and concerns and I'm not minimizing them.
Actually if we want to see change, change we can believe in, then we need to force congress and legislatures to pass laws that criminalize the behavior of public officials who fail to enforce the law.

The biggest problem with public officials today is that there is no consequence, other than possible electoral defeat, for not doing their jobs.

Take it right up to the president, the AG, congressmen, governors, county sheriffs, mayors of "sanctuary cities."

What is the point of ANY law? OK, I don't agree with speed laws, therefore I will go 100 MPH wherever I want.

Otherwise laws are meaningless, we are heading toward a Middle Ages society of fiefdoms run by narcissistic princes.

Anarchy.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:45 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Actually if we want to see change, change we can believe in, then we need to force congress and legislatures to pass laws that criminalize the behavior of public officials who fail to enforce the law.
You better be prepared to follow some very weird laws there in Idaho then.
LOL

Idaho laws state most stupid weird 10 old legal rules online

Ken

Old 04-28-2010, 04:56 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
A prosecutor should order his arrest and then prosecute him for failure to execute his office properly.

ANYONE arrested by this moron's deputies could fight the arrest based on the fact that a citizen has just as much right to ignore the law as a sheriff does.
Every arrest, every conviction gets thrown out, now that's a great sheriff for ya.

Since when did elected officials get to decide they would ignore, disobey, or actively work against duly passed laws?
First of all, it's not the law YET. So, no arresting required or appropriate. And, until there's been a specific instance of failure to enforce by Pima County when and if the law goes into effect, there's nothing to prosecute.

And, there is selective enforcement of all sorts of laws, I'm not saying it's right by any means, but let's not get all righteous on this thread and act like it never happens.

And no, that wouldn't get someone acquitted or get a conviction thrown out.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:04 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
The Dupnik rebellion: Pima's top cop says "no" to SB 1070 - KGUN 9 On Your Side, Tucson News, Weather & Sports (http://www.kgun9.com/Global/story.asp?S=12386648 - broken link)

Regardless of your opinion of the law, as an officer of the law, especially the head of an agency - you should not be cherry picking which laws you enforce.

Do them all or move out of the office and let someone in whose willing to do the job.

Maybe we can finally get Dumbo Dupnik out of that appointment?
Pima County arrests twice as many illegals as Sherriff Joe under existing law and turns them over to the Border Patrol. What he is refusing to do is trash the Bill of Rights
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona