U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 04:56 PM

26 posts, read 42,504 times

Advertisements

I am new to the forum, but have been a reader for a long time. I am currently living in rural northern Idaho and am moving to Arizona in a couple of months with my 3 horses. My ranch is sold (yipppeee!) and I'll be alone and semi-retired. I KNOW what living in snow is all about. I KNOW what chores are all aobut.
What are the winters like in the Ashfork area? Does the snow accumulate or melt quickly? How cold? How about the wind? Are the roads in the Yucca Trail area county maintained or do you clear them with your own tractor?
Thanks for any information....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 06:52 PM

509 posts, read 870,292 times
i live Noth of Ash Fork in KEW (Kaibab Estaes West) . compared to Nebraska winters it is balmy here .in January the temps average 52 daytime to 25 for low . snows can vary from year o year but for last 13 years have not been bad . most of the snows melt quickly . Yucca trails i know nothing about hottest month is in July with 95-75 average .

Old 05-02-2010, 09:45 PM

Does the snow accumulate or does it snow/melt/snow/melt?
Compared to north Idaho, it sounds like heaven! Here, we get about 3-5 FEET of snow, and it starts to pile up in October/November and stays until March. Then there is frozen mud, ice, and slush until May. The temps all winter never go above freezing and the nights get to around 0-degrees. The air freezes and actually *pops* and sparkles.
I've been here for 21 years and am finally able to head south! I have friends in Prescott Valley, but they never go around Ashfork. PV is too expensive for me and I'm used to isolation :-)
Yucca Trails is part of the Juniperwoods Ranch area.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:52 AM

16,126 posts, read 14,144,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayjude View Post
Does the snow accumulate or does it snow/melt/snow/melt?
I think Zonie5 answered that question for you already. With an average January high of 52 snow is NOT going to accumulate.

Ken

Old 05-04-2010, 09:33 AM

for the most part the snow will melt within a day or two . though there have been a few times where it took a two weeks . that is rare happening though .the average snowfall here is around 22" a year, rain is 15" a year for the average .

Old 05-04-2010, 12:12 PM

1,170 posts, read 3,348,653 times
Here's an AZ wind speed map. Ash Fork looks ok.

http://www.windpoweringamerica.gov/i...aps/az_80m.jpg

Old 05-04-2010, 05:06 PM

Thank you both for the information. It makes me want to get there ASAP! I should be finished with escrow and moving next month.
Today in Idaho, the temp is 40-ish with winds up to 45 mph with snow flurries.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:53 PM

19,663 posts, read 51,231,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayjude View Post
Today in Idaho, the temp is 40-ish with winds up to 45 mph with snow flurries.
Is that normal???

Old 05-05-2010, 09:03 AM

from what i gather you sound as if you are interested in Yucca Trail . if it is located in Juniper Woods then you might like to know that that area is off the grid living . no power , no county maintained roads .Juniper Woods is located two miles South of Ash Fork on highway 89 . i don't go there as last i heard there are no street signs of any kind . maybe homemade ones and those i don't put any faith in . the plus of living there is the people are very nice and supportive of each other . they have organized a volunteer fire department and hold various civil functions .

Old 05-05-2010, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Is that normal???
There is no "normal" here....whatever happens we get through it.

Like now, it's 33 degrees with an expected low of 26 tonight with flurries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona