Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 10:54 PM

153 posts, read 561,931 times

Advertisements

I haven't really heard much about Litchfield Park on the boards. Any opinions about this part of town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2006, 11:49 PM

148 posts, read 845,989 times
Hi,
I have worked in Litchfield park for 6 years and have some friends that live there. Personally I am most biased to the Arrowhead area where we live but if we didn't live there Litchfield Park/Goodyear would be my 2nd choice. It is a nice family oriented community and housing is less expensive there than where I am at. You are still looking at a hefty commute and the I-10 (the main freeway into downtown Phoenix) can be very messy during rush hour.

Just out of curiousity, your log in name says you are from Charlotte, NC. Why would you ever want to leave Charlotte, NC for Phoenix? All my husband and I want is out of here and we are looking at Charlotte, Raleigh or Nashville, Tn.

We knew a couple in our neighborhood that were from Charlotte, NC and they loved our neighborhood because green areas are hard to come by here. They moved here for work reasons and would have stayed in NC otherwise. Everything is desert. So if it is not absolutely necessary that you move to Litchfield Park, I would consider the Arrowhead area in particular Sierra Verde.

Hope that helps.
Angie

Old 08-07-2006, 04:37 AM

36 posts, read 302,741 times
I used to live by Litchfield park, it seemed pretty nice. Like Angie, I'm also partial to Arrowhead and it's surrounding areas.

Old 08-07-2006, 08:33 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,446,422 times
Default Litchfield Park

As someone who has lived and worked in Litchfield Park, if you are into a bedroom community with very nice golf courses. This is the the place for you. There are sidewalks all around the community and are nice for evening strolls.

It is landlocked & surrounded by Avondale and Goodyear, Luke Air force base is just a hop and skip up the road.

The good thing is Safeway grocery store is on the south west corner so nothing is far away. Which is good because the traffic is getting worse by the day. Learn the side streets and you can make good time.

Old 08-08-2006, 01:57 AM

27 posts, read 171,855 times
People have a tendancy to get Litchfield and Goodyear confused. Litchfield itself can be very expensive. Actual Litchfield Parks homes can start at 600K up to 1.5 mill. Now there are homes in Litchfield that are less. Once the mall is finished building people will be flocking up to the Litchfield/Goodyear area. Reason is that Litchfield and Goodyear are close to two major freeways and another I-10 and 101 and the 303 which is schedule to be a third large free in the future. The 303 is Cotton Lane which is a back road to Surprise. Goodyear and Litchfield have a conservative feel because of the retires of the AF Base. But Avondale on the side can be rough. Arrowhead is nice but way to crowded. Good luck even getting into the Arrowhead mall on any holiday because there is only one road in and one road out. That's Bell road. Arrowhead mall is really small also for a Westcore mall compared to there others. The arrowhead area has great housing and schools is just that it is was one of the orginial areas built in the north west valley and now the people have overgrown the area. 67th/101 is even a higher class area with very nice housing and all the schools are rated A+.. Be prepared for lots of materialism in that neighborhood. Lot of keep up with the jones. 67th/101, Arrowhead all great areas. Glendale city which is the city of these area, some Peoria also has been none to have more millionairs than any other city in AZ. I am not say multi millionaire but single millionaires. Goodyear and Litchfield and clean, growing affordable. etc. You cant really go wrong with either locations.

Old 08-08-2006, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by INPHX
People have a tendancy to get Litchfield and Goodyear confused. Litchfield itself can be very expensive. Actual Litchfield Parks homes can start at 600K up to 1.5 mill.
YIKES!! ok, so that's not us. We're begrudgingly looking at homes up to $400,000, grumbling all the way how very little you get for your money. And with the market slowing, I'm not sure there is such a thing as a good, short-term (4-yr.) real-estate investment.
Quote:
Goodyear and Litchfield have a conservative feel because of the retires of the AF Base.
YIKES!! not us either, unless I plan to mix it up a bit. Where ARE the hippy, socially liberal, activist, artist type folkes in Phoenix-greater, anyway?
Quote:
But Avondale on the side can be rough.
Thanks for the heads up on that.
Quote:
Arrowhead is nice but way to crowded. Good luck even getting into the Arrowhead mall on any holiday because there is only one road in and one road out...Arrowhead mall is really small also for a Westcore mall compared to there others. Be prepared for lots of materialism in that neighborhood. Lot of keep up with the jones.
Does anyone else see the irony of this? It's seems poetic justice that an area consumed by the need for material things is served by a pathetically inadequate mall!!
Quote:
Goodyear and Litchfield are clean, growing affordable. etc. You cant really go wrong with either locations.
By affordable, do you mean the 600K+ you mentioned above? It seems that starting at such an inflated price, it has no room to increase.

Old 08-08-2006, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantingoutofAz
Just out of curiousity, your log in name says you are from Charlotte, NC. Why would you ever want to leave Charlotte, NC for Phoenix?
Believe me, if my husband wasn't offered an opportunity of a lifetime for his career, we wouldn't be going anywhere. We do love our life and our home here in Charlotte and it will be hard for us to leave. But we will only be in the West Valley for the next 4 years. Hubby's work is in Surprise, but I've been looking at other options in older neighborhoods because with new development comes a higher risk of Valley Fever. Recently our search has focused on North Glendale (85310, 85308) North Phoenix and Anthem (85086) in the Deer Park School District. I love the mountain views in Anthem, but it seems like quite a hike to Surprise every day. Is Arrowhead north of the 101? What is the average price of a home in your area?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantingoutofAz
All my husband and I want is out of here and we are looking at Charlotte, Raleigh or Nashville, Tn.
I don't know much about Nashville, but both Raleigh (paricularly Cary, NC) and Charlotte are nice places to raise a family. Charlotte has higher crime and taxes, and you have to seek out good schools, but it has a warm neighborhood feel, an awesome park and library system, great restaurants and a huge focus on the arts and cultural events. Definitely worth visiting before you make your decision.

Old 08-08-2006, 11:36 PM

148 posts, read 845,989 times
Default Glendale/Arrowhead areas

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublet
Recently our search has focused on North Glendale (85310, 85308) North Phoenix and Anthem (85086) in the Deer Park School District. I love the mountain views in Anthem, but it seems like quite a hike to Surprise every day. Is Arrowhead north of the 101? What is the average price of a home in your area?
I would highly sugges NOT moving to Anthem. My husband and I love it out there (when we have visited the parks with our kids) and everyone raves about how family oriented it is but commuting in from the I-17 is supposed to be horrendous. My husband works downtown and so there is no way we could ever move out there. I think the commute would burn your husband out, especially if he is not used to commute. Unless he works at odd hours but even then he is probably looking at a 40-45 minute drive (without traffic).

Arrowhead encompasses many different neighborhoods and is both north and south of the 101. The neighborhood I mentioned in my previous post was Sierra Verde which is north of the 101 between 67th and 75th ave. It is full of greenbelts and lakes and therefore is a little more expensive. We have a 3,000 sq. ft. house for sale for $529,000. I would say for $400,000 you could probably get between 2,000 and 2500 square foot home but realize that is not with a lot of land. All of our homes here for the most part are packed in together. The homes in this neighborhood were built between 1997 and 2000 ish. This is an 85308 zip code.

North of Deer Valley between 67th and 75th ave is a neighborhood called Hillcrest. The zip here is 85310. The is an older neighborhood with homes built in the 1980's and early 90's and therefore are more reasonable maybe by 5-10%.

South of the 101 is considered the Arrowhead ranch area. This again is 85308. These homes are older and therefore a little more reasonable.

We moved to an area called Fletcher Heights which is just west of Sierra Verde but is now considered Peoria with an 85383 zip code. We moved for a one story with a basement. We love our new house but miss our old neighborhood a lot. Peoria is a little more reasonable, not known for as good of schools if that is an issue for you (although Arizona is ranked 50th out of the 50 states for our public schools). Deer Valley district has the best reputation I believe (my kids aren't school age yet) which would be the Glendale areas.

Another area to consider is in Litchfield Park and is called Wigwam Creek. We have some friends that live there and the homes are definitely not expensive like the other poster mentioned. They are more reasonable than Glendale is.

Now as far as Surprise......I know some people gave it a bad rap but there are nicer, reasonable parts of Surprise. Surprise is by far one of the most reasonable areas on the west side of Phoenix and is where a lot of families move in order to afford bigger homes. I am not sure if you are interested in a new build but there is a brand new development going in called Marley park off of Sweetwater and Reems road. We went to look at the models and they were very nice. They are making that whole neighborhood very nice with community centers, playgrounds galore. There are many different builders.

I am sorry that you have to move here. I am a little negative about the whole Phoenix thing but probably because I have lived here my whole life. I think we are still the fastest growing city so there are clearly things that people like. Thanks for the info. on NC. We are still leaning toward Tennessee but NC is an option.

If there are any other questions I can answer for you please feel free to ask. If you don't already have a real estate agent, when the time comes we know a very nice guy that lives in Litchfield Park but is familiar with the west and North West valley areas.

Angie

Old 08-09-2006, 02:48 PM

Thank you so much for your detailed info. This will help us tremendously when we visit in September. I no longer feel like i'm just bumping around in the dark. Thank you, thank you.

Old 08-09-2006, 10:59 PM

27 posts, read 171,855 times
You can find homes in Litchfield Park reasonable. But I live in this area and let me tell you first hand the homes that are in the original Litchfield Park start at 600K. Now the homes in Wigwam are nice & way more affordable, the newer version of Litchfield, borders Avondale thats why still way affordable. I would stick with Goodyear and parts of Litchfield park. Lots of these new subdivisions that were built in this area 3-5 years ago were originally sold cheap and so some of the homes that were sold to landlords that do section 8 federal housing. Same with Surprise, El Mirage. You will not have this problem most likely around Arrowhead . The old original Litchfield Park that is surrounded by a golf course is very high $$$$. Stay North of Dysart. Some Dysart Okay but stay East of Northern. I definatly agree with the earlier post that there are lots of nice areas in Surprise, but Surprise does have the same problem as a lot of the West Valley and that is when all these home went up quick, fast and cheap lots became rentals, rentals and more rentals. Trust I know I have two rentals on both sides of me. Not all renters are bad so dont get me wrong, but not great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona