Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 02:50 PM

123 posts, read 353,066 times

Advertisements

Jan Brewer needs to go!!!! She is ruining Arizona's reputation!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 03:34 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,713,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB90 View Post
Jan Brewer needs to go!!!! She is ruining Arizona's reputation!!!
Blame that one on Tom Horne, Superintendent of Public Instruction, who wants to be our next Attorney General.

I am surprised to hear that it applies to universities.

There was a controversy about some ethnic studies classes at the high school level in Tucson Unified School District. He got a lot of mileage out of that when he first ran for Superintendent, in the GOP primary where he ran against the incumbent, who was Hispanic.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:50 PM

122 posts, read 306,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Hi Phoenix, Gurbie from SoCal here. I'm willing to give Arizonans the benefit of the doubt on SB 1070 (The Feds aren't doing their job, the crime rate is out of control- I can see why you feel like you're backed against the wall, and have to act) But, can anyone explain the new law eliminating Ethnic Studies classes? I'm a white dude, OK? But, I've benefited greatly from taking various ethnic and gender-centric classes over the years. How in the heck can these classes be seen as a bad thing? Are they truly BANNED now in Arizona? At the UNIVERISTY level??? What tha...?

(BTW, I consider Phoenix to be a cosmopolitan city full of intelligent, sophisticated people- that's why I'm asking this on your city forum, and not on the Illegal Immigration page. There is a lot of heat, and very little light, being shed there. Thanks in advance for your help)
READ the law:

HB 2281

As with SB 1070, many fail to READ the actual law.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:03 PM

380 posts, read 1,059,104 times
many believe that using taxpayer Dollars intended for K-12 education, on a program that teaches militantism and treason defies logic.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Amen, Greg! Add Pueblo Studies, Navajo Studies, Apache Studies, etc.....

I agree with the sentiment that the ONLY reason we're seeing this kind of monkey business coming from Arizona at this time (and not during the Bush years or before) is because we have an "ethnic" president. Add to that, the "birthers" push the idea that Obama himself is an illegal alien. So crack down on "illegals" and "ethnics" and you got him covered, you sent your message loud and clear.
So if you broke the law, it must be okay as well? The illegals are breaking the law by being here. Gather them up and ship them back where they belong. The rest of this country can take a page out of Arizona's book and follow suit.

pertain to people who are It is time we take back our country, stop putting up signs so folks who speak spanish can understand. You want to live here, learn ENGLISH. You want to stay here, do it the right way.

Did you know as an American, regardless of color, a police officer stops you in a car, or on the sidewalk for that matter, and you can not produce a state id or even your dl, you are subject to arrest until they can ID you. Why shouldn't this apply to people breaking the law by being here illegally?

Like I have said, if you don't like it, go back to where you came from, apparently life is that much better there.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:12 PM

888 posts, read 1,183,154 times
I wonder how much of the fears and prejudices of Arizona's highly influential, and largely white retired population, have contributed to the current climate in Arizona?

Steve

Old 05-13-2010, 04:17 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,713,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancho Zarape View Post
READ the law:

HB 2281

As with SB 1070, many fail to READ the actual law.
You are right, there is nothing about universities here, just school districts and charter schools.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:23 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Blame that one on Tom Horne, Superintendent of Public Instruction, who wants to be our next Attorney General.

I am surprised to hear that it applies to universities.

There was a controversy about some ethnic studies classes at the high school level in Tucson Unified School District. He got a lot of mileage out of that when he first ran for Superintendent, in the GOP primary where he ran against the incumbent, who was Hispanic.
Yeah, but Jan Brewer didn't have to sign it into law. There is always going to be crazy laws but you need a reputable governor who isn't going to sign this.

Brewer is ruining our state's reputation. People think Arizona is like West Virginia or Mississippi now. Seriously, we are not some backward racist state.

The best revenge is to go to the polls and vote! Talk is cheap. People need to not just complain but register to vote and let their voice be heard. The Hispanic population in particular needs to vote and go to the polls. There are a lot of Hispanic citizens in this state that don't vote. Their voice can't be heard if they don't vote. Voting will do a lot more damage than holding picket signs.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:27 PM

10 posts, read 23,175 times
I want "white christian male" studies!

Old 05-13-2010, 05:18 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,251,210 times
Read the law, it doesn't ban ethnic studies .

"HB 2281 prohibits a school district or charter school from including courses or classes that either promote the overthrow of the United States government or promote resentment toward a race or class of people."

Here's an article about a national survey that shows "College students taking racial and ethnic studies courses have lower respect for members of other groups."

A Downside of Racial Awareness?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona